Injury updates???

http://www.wowt.com/sports/headlines/3815536.html

They say Dillard should be able to get the redshirt, but they said nothing about Fluellen

I heard Ross Jergstrom mention that tonight on Sunday Sports Extra about Dillard being able to redshirt. I think he must be talking about a medical redshirt because I thought once you play a down in a game that burns the redshirt for that season. Anyone have clarification on that?

http://www.wowt.com/sports/headlines/3815536.html

They say Dillard should be able to get the redshirt, but they said nothing about Fluellen

I heard Ross Jergstrom mention that tonight on Sunday Sports Extra about Dillard being able to redshirt. I think he must be talking about a medical redshirt because I thought once you play a down in a game that burns the redshirt for that season. Anyone have clarification on that?

You are correct, once you play your redshirt is burned for the year. A medical redshirt is available until you play somewhere around 20% of the season. Not positive on the percentage.

Here's the official By-Law from the NCAA. You can download it HERE.

14.2.4 Hardship Waiver. A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the conference or the Academics/Eligibility/Compliance Cabinet for reasons of “hardship.” Hardship is defined as an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under all of the following conditions:

(Revised: 8/8/02)

a. The incapacitating injury or illness occurs in one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition at any two-year or four-year collegiate institution or occurs subsequent to the first day of classes in the student-athlete’s senior year in high school; (Revised: 1/10/92 effective 8/1/92, 11/01/01, 8/8/02)

b. The injury or illness occurs prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport (measured by the number of scheduled contests or dates of competition not exceeding the maximum limitations in each sport as set forth in Bylaw 17 as set prior to the first scheduled contest or date of competition of the designated official NCAA championship playing season in the applicable sport or the number of completed contests or dates of competition) and results in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season; and (Revised: 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01, 4/3/02)

c. The injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 20 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution’s scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport. Only scheduled or completed competition (including exempted events but excluding scrimmages and exhibition contests identified as such in the legislation) against outside participants during the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship, or, if so designated, during the official NCAA championship playing season in that sport (e.g., spring baseball, fall soccer), shall be countable under this limitation in calculating both the number of contests or dates of competition in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition during that season in the sport. (Revised: 1/10/92, 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97, 4/26/01 effective 8/1/01, 3/10/04, 5/11/05, 8/4/05)