Player: Baker Steinkuhler

Hometown: Lincoln, NE

Position: OL

Height: 6’6”

Weight: 275

40 time: 4.99

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska

Favorites: Signed with Nebraska (9/3/06)

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: :star:star:star:star:star

Bid Red Report: :star:star:star:star

Assessing the talent: Has the frame to become a great Offensive Tackle.

Per: A Step Ahead: Jim Stefani's Underclassmen Football Recruiting Blog

One of the nation’s top overall linemen and possibly the top prospect in Nebraska…..Two-way star who recorded 94 tackles as a junior in earning consensus First Team All-State honors on the defensive side of the ball…….Has been a starter since his freshman season……Projects on the OL in college……Rare combination of size, speed (4.93 combine forty) and quickness (great shuttle at U.S. Army Combine)……Great bloodlines, as his father, Dean Steinkuhler, was an All-American center at Nebraska…..His coach has had a couple of players go on to the NFL and says that Baker is a superior prospect to both of them…..He committed to Nebraska in September 2006.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 100% Born and breed Husker. Father played for NU and brother on the current roster as a DT.

I heard a rumor that he is already N. He would be a nice pickup and a huge start to our 08 class. This is one that we can't let get away, no matter what so I hope it is true.

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2006/0...e3876927557.txt

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Monday, Sep 04, 2006 - 12:25:02 am CDT

His father is one of the most decorated linemen in Nebraska football history. His brother plays a prominent role on the 2006 Husker squad.

But his Big Red bloodlines had little to do with Baker Steinkuhler’s decision Sunday to pledge to Nebraska’s 2008 scholarship recruiting class, he said.

“If I wanted to go somewhere else, I’d go somewhere else,” Steinkuhler said flatly.

The Lincoln Southwest two-way lineman becomes the first player to verbally commit to Nebraska’s class of 2008. A total of 10 players are known to have pledged to the Huskers’ 2007 class.

Advertisement

The 6-foot-6, 275-pound Steinkuhler on Friday was formally offered a scholarship by Nebraska coaches. He saw no reason to drag out the recruiting process.

“I pretty much had my mind made up,” he said.

Steinkuhler had received recruiting mail from Iowa, Notre Dame and Kansas, among others. He said he had received no other scholarship offers.

He chose Nebraska in large part because of his desire to stay in Lincoln, he said. What’s more, he said, he looks forward to playing with his brother Ty Steinkuhler as well as former Southwest teammate Ben Martin, a true freshman at NU.

His father, Dean Steinkuhler, played guard at Nebraska, winning the Lombardi Award and Outland Trophy in 1983 as the Huskers finished with a 12-1 record. Dean Steinkuhler is one of 16 Huskers to have their jerseys retired (he wore No. 71).

Ty Steinkuhler, a 6-3, 280-pound sophomore, is Nebraska’s No. 2 defensive tackle behind starter Barry Cryer. Ty Steinkuhler chased down Louisiana Tech wideout Eric Newman from behind to make an impressive tackle Saturday in the Huskers’ 49-10 triumph at Memorial Stadium.

“He played really well,” Baker Steinkuhler said. “I was really happy for him.”

Baker Steinkuhler said he’s open to playing either side of the ball at Nebraska.

“Whatever fits best when I get there,” he said.

He informed Nebraska coaches of his decision early Sunday afternoon. Now, he said, he can concentrate on improving his overall game and helping lead Class A second-ranked Lincoln Southwest (2-0) back into the state playoffs. The Silver Hawks fell to Millard North in last year’s Class A title game.

“I’m glad the decision is made,” he said. “Now I can just worry about getting better. That’s the goal for every player — to improve every time you take the field.”

Reach Steven M. Sipple at 473-7440 or ssipple@journalstar.com.

Player: Baker Steinkuhler

Hometown: Lincoln, NE

Position: OL

Height: 6’6”

Weight: 275

40 time: 4.99

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska

Favorites: Committed to Nebraska (9/3/06)

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Bid Red Report:

Assessing the talent: Has the frame to become a great Offensive Tackle.

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 98% Born and breed Husker. Father played for NU and brother on the current roster as a DT.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

• 1 month later...