SIGNED: OL Baker Steinkuhler

• 1 month later...

Baker's film is very impressive to watch. Just a great high school lineman right now. Great on defense, but amazing on offense. A few things that stand out: great on the perimeter when he pulls, gains great leverage on defenders and just great size (tall, almost thin looking, but strong as an ox).

People have made the argument that he is in Lincoln playing his high school ball and doesn't play against great competition and thus isn't as good as other lineman in other high profile areas such as Texas, California and Florida. And this may be true to an extent, but I really get the feeling that if he were in on of these areas he'd simply be even better and still be as dominant. It comes down to himself just being that guy who wants to work harder than everyone else. If he were in Texas, we'd have spring ball, extra weight room time, lots of perks. But sometimes that's a benefit not having all that. Too many times those kids peak to early, there burnt out.

Baker's film is very impressive to watch. Just a great high school lineman right now. Great on defense, but amazing on offense. A few things that stand out: great on the perimeter when he pulls, gains great leverage on defenders and just great size (tall, almost thin looking, but strong as an ox).

People have made the argument that he is in Lincoln playing his high school ball and doesn't play against great competition and thus isn't as good as other lineman in other high profile areas such as Texas, California and Florida. And this may be true to an extent, but I really get the feeling that if he were in on of these areas he'd simply be even better and still be as dominant. It comes down to himself just being that guy who wants to work harder than everyone else. If he were in Texas, we'd have spring ball, extra weight room time, lots of perks. But sometimes that's a benefit not having all that. Too many times those kids peak to early, there burnt out.

Good to hear. He sounds just like his dad. :thumbs

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php?ti...p;tb=1&pb=1

Steinkuhler gets five stars

Baker Steinkuhler, an offensive tackle from Lincoln Southwest High School, has been awarded a five-star ranking by Rivals.com. He becomes the first Nebraska high school player to receive five stars since the advent of Rivals.com's on-line recruiting rankings in the late 1990s.

Steinkuhler, who has pledged to Nebraska, is ranked as the nation's No. 19 player overall.

"I’ve coached two guys that have played in the NFL (Erwin Swiney and Trevor Johnson at Lincoln Northeast) and several Division I scholarship athletes, but Baker is the best athlete I’ve ever coached. And that includes those guys that play on Sunday. His future is tremendous. You hate to jump ahead too far, but I think he can make a lot of money playing this game. He’s just unbelievable," Southwest Coach Mark King told Rivals.com.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

Saw him tonight, I must admit I expected more. In the first half he dominated, he had one play that he made three pancakes, he also had a few tackles in the game. In the second half he was barely noticable, don't get me wrong I mean he is playing almost a whole game, but he definitely took a huge step back in the second half, he still held his blocks but wasn't getting into the second level. Sorry if this is too negative just telling it how I saw it.