OG Trevor Robinson

Eric the Red

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2007/0...e9100972203.txt

Huskers nab Elkhorn lineman

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Saturday, Apr 07, 2007 - 03:37:37 pm CDT

Trevor Robinson could have played college football for any number of big-time programs. He chose the one closest to home.

Robinson, a 6-foot-5, 300-pound offensive lineman from Elkhorn High School, has given Nebraska coaches his verbal commitment to accept their scholarship offer. Notre Dame and Michigan also were on his final list of choices.

“The big thing is, Nebraska’s close to home,” Robinson said Saturday. “There’s nothing I can do football-wise at those other places that I can’t do at Nebraska.”

Robinson becomes the fourth high school player to verbally commit to Nebraska’s class of 2008. He joins offensive lineman Dan Hoch of Harlan, Iowa, running back Collins Okafor of Omaha Westside, and offensive lineman Baker Steinkuhler of Lincoln Southwest.

Nebraska’s early crop of offensive line commitments is raising eyebrows nationally. Hoch, 6-6 and 295 pounds, and Steinkuhler, 6-6 and 290, also are regarded to be among the nation’s best prep linemen.

Robinson also had scholarship offers from Boston College, Iowa, Kansas, North Carolina State, Texas A&M and Vanderbilt. He visited Nebraska’s spring practice Friday with two former Elkhorn teammates, Kevin Thomsen and Clancey Shannon, who both will walk-on at NU this coming fall. Current Husker linebacker Kyle Moore, also from Elkhorn, joined the three for dinner Friday night.

Robinson called Notre Dame and Michigan coaches Friday night to inform them of his decision.

“Obviously, Notre Dame has a lot to offer — academics is a big thing there, which is hard to turn down,” Robinson said.

Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis had visited Elkhorn High on Jan. 17 and had planned a second visit April 24, although Robinson said it no longer makes sense to recruit him. He’s locked in on his decision, he said.

“I didn’t want to milk the situation any longer,” Robinson said. “I knew what I wanted and went with it.”

Last season as a junior, Robinson helped lead Elkhorn to the Class B state championship game, where the Antlers fell to Crete. He played on both sides of the ball, recording 103 tackles, including six sacks.

On offense, “He pushed the line of scrimmage and we ran behind him all year,” said Elkhorn coach Mark Wortman. “If it was fourth-and-2, people knew where it was going and it didn’t matter.”

Robinson owns a 3.92 grade-point average on a 4.0 scale and scored a 28 on his ACT.

The Slant

Steven M. Sipple: Chatterbox McKeon has defense to shepherd

In case you haven’t heard, and assuming you care at all, the media is barred from watching Nebraska football practices this spring. This is no big deal to me. Neither Tom Osborne nor Frank Solich allowed the media to watch spring drills, except for Saturday scrimmages.

Bill Callahan allowed the media to watch all of his spring practices during the previous three years before shutting it down this year, presumably because of competition at quarterback and the tendency of media to publish inane statistics (the QB was 12-for-13 in a passing drill that included no defense!!). But I digress.

Full Slant...

I am very pleasantly surprised and am glad that I was wrong! Congrats on your decision, Trevor.

I too eat a slice of humble pie.

I was wrong too and damned glad to be. :)

BTW this class has four members so far and they are all scary good. This is starting out to be an outstanding class.