Vote for "Most interesting" post of the week..

Blackshirt

Which member's post was the most "interesting read"? (read posts below)  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Voting will last until next Sun, Sept 12 when voting for the candidates from this week will begin. The winner will be awarded 6 "Huskerboard points" which can be redeemed for cash or Husker gear.

1) jjamus

The past is the past... it boils down to one thing, recruiting. Lord was the worst choice Solich made as head coach, not that it was the final nail in his coffin. How many games can a coach lose at home before we see there is something wrong? Growing pains aside, Solich never took responsibility for the losses, it was always excuse this and excuse that... wheres the leadership in those actions??

I BELIEVE IN BILL, as should all TRUE Husker fans. The program isnt about the coaches, its about the players and tradition. Being a 1 dimensional team for decades has made NU football predictable and vulnerable to loss. We arent changing who WE are, we are HUSKERS no matter who the coach is. As I said, it boils down to recruiting... when was the last time we have had top 10 recruits for multiple positions (at least 5 different spots) commit to Nebraska?? New Blood means new talent... and thats what wins games these days!!

Respect, the football tradition leading to this season has been monumental and remarkable, but how long can we want WAIT for another National Title?? We have the tradition of a top 5 school, Pedersen and Callahan are doing what it takes to make that tradition a reality in the trophy case.

Win Red.... WIN!!

Respectfully,

Big Red Jim

2) Eric the Red:

"In an era of manufactered stars...(Dave Mathews) acquired his fans the old fashion way, he earned their devotion, night after night on the road, putting on great shows and letting word of mouth take care of the rest." -Announcer introducing Dave Mathews at a Johnny Cash triubute show.

I share similar thoughts as Red Country, I have been to about a dozen shows including 2 at Giant Stadium, 1 at Soldier Field, and a half dozen near Kansas City. I even took a road trip to Des Moines to see "Trippin Billies," a DMB tribute band to get my "Jimi Thing" fix.

My trip to the Windy City was one of the greatest times of my life. A Dave concert is a revolution, an epiphany multiplied times over. Whether you’re old or young, white or black, sober or drunk, high or trippin', Dave and his mates can soothe your soul with their divergent, flexible styles.

Whether it be the laser sharp shreds of Boyd Tinsley’s unique violin play in “Warehouse,” “Two Step,” and “Crush.” The dynamic slap of Stefan Lessard on his cool bass in an original version of “All Along the Watchtower.” The controlled violence that hits you in the depths of your belly when Carter Beauford’s 28-piece drum set revs up with “Halloween.” Or the beauty that can tingle your heart with the tap of his high hat in a soothing version of “Lover Lay Down.” With an extensive jazz and rock background, LeRoi Moore screams and squeals in one and then sings you a lullaby in another with his unorthodox sax and clarinet notes. He can jam for hours and hours and then a many more. Just check out and then “Drive in Drive Out,” and “Proudest Monkey.” And of course there’s that voice. Not big, nor extremely fluid, but rather the perfect fit. Like a small child, innocent and developing in “One Sweet World,” “Satellite,” and “Recently” He let’s fly in classics, “Grey Street” “Bartender,” and a live version of “Crash.”

The music moves you, like Stefan said, “The music I listen to needs to stimulate my mind, nod my head, move my feet, or shake my hips, if it doesn’t we don’t get along.” I get along with Dave.

Those with small children know you can have the worst day of your life but when you come home your little boy or girl will give you a big hug as soon as you walk in and then everything seems all right. Dido with Dave. Put on any CD, grab a beer and jam on your couch. It’s heaven on Earth.

In 5, 10, 20, 30 years from now, Dave, the Band and his fans will look back and be able to smile at the run they had. All bands pass, and sooner or later DMB will too. When?? Who knows? Every album produces more fans and keeps the old. They fill stadiums!!! But when they do, everyone in the family will be able to say, “You know what, at one time, we were the best band in America.”

In a recent issue of Rolling Stones, Dave Mathews said, “I have to admit were badass.” Yes Dave Mathews, the Band, is Badass.

3) Armistead I

The option worked last year......Dailey showed flashes of a great option QB....Lord on the other hand was the worst kind of Option QB, he was not a good runner , he never made the play action stuff keep the safeties and the db's honest, and when he did get around the edge he promptly look for the pursuit because he was lonely....I guess.

The option with the guy we got this year would have been fine,I think that is why Solich was let go last year instead of one more run with him at the helm....We would have won 9 games agin and Pederson just wanted a change.....If you look back the Husker history, the QB to follows a great QB always sucks and then we right the ship and roll on....The fact that Solich stuck with Lord and never went to Dailey is what doomed him.I know some guys will say Lord rolled up alot of wins and tons of Yardage....but he never did it on the big game days.Jamal Lord doomed the option at Nebraska.

4) AR Husker Fan

I admit to having a special place in my heart for the option, but I also think that it will return. Offenses tend to run in cycles. As defenses adjust and catch up, coaches begin to experiment - and one thing they like to do is to pull out offenses that are unique, as it makes it difficult for a team to change defensive philosophies in a week.

While there is some truth to the idea that players are getting bigger and faster, it's also true that most defenses are, in reality, going small. They want fast athletes who can swarm the ball. It ranges from tough to impossible to find defensive lineman that are huge - there aren't enough to go around. We see safeties becoming linebackers, linebackers becoming ends, and ends becoming tackles.

But I think this plays into the hands of a team committed to the option. The key is to recruit the correct kind of lineman. Rather than going for the 330 pounders, an option team should go slightly smaller - more agility and quickness. Option plays typically are either "quick-hitters" up the middle, or rely on getting to the outside and away from the interior defense. That means that linemen need to engage qickly and to get that first, initial "pop". They don't have to maintain blocks for a long time, and in most cases don't need to open gaping holes. Couple that with a true option quarterback, and there's no reason the option can't be just as effective today.

Yes, the option has its drawbacks - it isn't an offense that permits a team to come back from deficiets as easily as a passing offense. For an option team, the key is to always have a stud defense that can keep the score close. But all offenses have some drawbacks - passing offenses tend to be unable to get "hard yardage" when needed, or to hold a lead late in a game. And finding a passing quarterback is just as difficult, if not more so, than finding an option quarterback. There are hundreds of kids that can run and have adequate passing skills - there are far less that are true passing quarterbacks.

Eventually we'll see a resurgance of the option. As the trend continues toward "athletes" on defense, coaches will start to look at it. "Athletes" tends to mean players who perhaps lack fundementals or the discipline to play their gap or man. That plays right into the hands of an option offense.

Just give it some time...

5) Armistead II

Here WEEEEEEEEEE GOOOOOOO

The Big Red have put together the WEST COAST ALLSTARS for a run at the Big 12.I myself think that most people will be stunned when Ross goes over 150 yards on 30 carries this weekend.....I also believe that Joe D will run the ball alot this weekend as well.

The west coast O in the hands of athletic mobile QBs is a very scary thing....Steve Young comes to mind, Mizzou is trying to run a version of it in Columbia(they would never admitt it)and look at the mobility of Smith.

Joe Dailey will get more open runs than Carter's got liver pills...I also believe that the options plays out of the shot gun formation will still be in the package and the fullback is goin to catch alot of balls this year....I have a ton of faith in Joe D making something out of nothing (busted plays), and thats what make a great college QB.

The Oline looks to be young but I'm goin to go out on a limb and say that they may be the bests we have had since 2001...this won't show till week 3 or four but look for these guys to gell...and look for Murtha to get in late in the early games(if healthy), simply because this staff knows this kid has got to have his mind on football or it will be transfer city(golphers).

The recievers are a bit of a question mark to me, but the speed is there and I will concede that BC knows more about the talent than I.Speed tho, that is the key say we will see....if Joe D can hit a third of the wide open WR/TE players that Lord missed last year , LOOK OUT BIG 12.The KSU game comes to mind when you talk about missing wide-open recievers...imagine tha score with a decent QB in the game for the Big Red.Tight end looks good this year as well......

Well, ALL in ALL, it looks like a 9-2 year with a little luck and a solid year outa the D

Can't wait to get at Mizzou and KSU this year as well as put an end to CU .The trip to TT has many worried . but I look at the Defenses in that game and we should have a big edge there...I don't give them as big an edge in the Offense as most , mainly because of the points i mentioned above, that leaves us with special teams and we got to be a slightly better team there...a win 28- 24...ball control and play action stuff wins it.

Great posts guys!! Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...