He's a hick, but he's happy

DaveH

TEH URL

BY TOM SHATEL

WORLD-HERALD COLUMNIST

Hi, my name's Tom. I'm a hick.

This month, I'm celebrating my 15th year of hickdom and I have a confession to make: I've loved every minute of it. No matter what a columnist from the Los Angeles Times thinks.

You may or may not have read T.J. Simers' piece last week, prefacing the Nebraska invasion of L.A. Simers is typically very smart and very funny, way over the heads of the athletes and coaches he covers. But this time, he rolled out all of the old lines about Nebraska, about how there's nothing to do here, how we can't wait to leave, how we don't have indoor plumbing.

He called us a bunch of "hicks."

It was too bad, but not for us - for him. That's such a lame, tired lounge act. Is that all you got, T.J.?

That column was followed up on Sunday by one in the Orange County Register, which mentioned that Nebraska has the edge on USC in home sellout streaks, but added, "There's a little more to do here on a Saturday than there is in Corn Land."

These enlightening pieces were followed up by a couple of ironies at last Saturday's USC-Nebraska game.

First, the water went out in the press box of the L.A. Coliseum. There was no plumbing.

Then, I was talking to a friend and colleague who writes college sports for the Times. He talked about how he lives in a suburb of L.A. and never, ever leaves the suburb - except to drive to a nearby airport (not LAX) to fly to an away game.

When I asked him why, he laughed and said, "Did you drive to the game?" My friend said he's got schools, parks, stores and a golf course in his suburb. He hasn't even driven downtown to the office in two years. He said, "I might as well live in Omaha."

Think about it.

I know some Nebraskans, perhaps many, sent Simers an e-mail or 10, voicing their displeasure, calling him names, etc. That's just what Simers wants - to push your buttons. Honestly, I think Nebraskans should learn to laugh at it (well, if the lines are actually funny).

Why is being called a farmer an insult? Why should we have to defend ourselves for not having a beach? Don't we live here because we want to?

Hmm. As Billy Tubbs used to say after a long answer, "What was the question again?"

This is my roundabout, long-winded way of saying thanks to you, my readers. Thanks for putting up with me for 15 years. Thanks for the stories, the passion, the lessons in sports and life.

I bumbled and stumbled into town 15 years ago this month, trying to figure out how to write a sports column. I thought that I'd be here two or three years, tops. No way did I see myself staying.

Now this hick doesn't ever want to leave.

Fifteen years. Wow. It seems like only yesterday that I was on a KOIL radio show with Gary Java, when "Mike from Omaha" called and it was really Steve Idelman, the old Omaha Racers owner, disguising himself. Idelman then spent the next 15 minutes screaming into the show, basically telling everyone that I was a great guy and writer.

Remember the Racers?

It seems like a couple of days ago when I received a letter from a grandmother in Grand Island, telling me how disappointed she was in me for writing those bad things about Lawrence Phillips.

There are too many stories and memories to count, or tell. But what stood out through 15 years are the people. What else? The backbone of this great state.

I fell in love here in Nebraska, but not just with a girl from Valley. With an entire population. Yes, even you anonymous letter writers. OK, maybe not the one with the death threat back in 1997.

Nebraskans have a way of charming you to death, with their honesty, sincerity, values and their passion. Yes, passion for sports.

I've been at newspapers in Kansas City, St. Louis and Dallas. I've done pro sports. Give me college sports. Give me passion for college sports.

There is no place like Nebraska. There is no better place to write college sports than Nebraska.

Sure, there are moments when it's over the top. We have squeezed all of the water out of the rock this week analyzing the game plan for USC. The intensity here can leave you breathless. But that's the passion. Don't ever lose that passion - or you become Los Angeles, where they arrive late and leave early, to beat the traffic.

I've learned much from that passion.

There were rough moments early on. I had no clue what kind of columnist I wanted to be. I'm still learning. But along the way I've been guided by letters, phone calls and now e-mails (sadly, nobody writes letters anymore). What I've learned is that there are right and wrong ways to treat people, a deep breath works better than screaming, that substance matters over style.

Nebraska is all about substance. I love that.

I love that high school sports are the show here, too, and that each small town and city has a team that's like its own pro team they live and die with. Friday nights are a holiday in Nebraska. I'll be celebrating Friday night at Duncan Field in Hastings.

I've also learned perspective, in a way that's not possible in a pro sports town or most towns, for that matter.

An example is here in Omaha, where Dana Altman is the Alt Man. He could win the next mayoral race if he ran.

Look at Altman's record. It's pretty good. But in 12 years, he's won two NCAA tournament games and exactly one conference championship (and five Missouri Valley tournament titles). The fans at most self-important basketball schools would have jettisoned Altman long ago for failing to deliver.

Here in Omaha, in Nebraska, Creighton fans are trying to find ways to keep him. Why? Mostly, because they like what they have and they don't want to lose it. It's more important to have a coach you like, a guy who represents you the way you want, than it is to win a few more NCAA games.

That's different. That's good.

Mostly, I love Nebraska because of one story, my favorite story. It happened a couple of summers ago. My family and I were in Alliance, visiting my wife's family. We were at her Uncle Larry's farm. It was Saturday night. We had just eaten half a cow.

After dinner, we were talking about western Nebraska. The next thing I know, Larry wants to take me to see Chimney Rock. We hop in his car. We drive down a two-lane highway out of town. Suddenly, Larry takes a left down a dirt road. Then another left. Then a right.

For the next 30 minutes, he must have taken 10 or 12 more turns on dirt roads, with no signs, no arrows, no directions, until we got to Chimney Rock. That drive was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen.

Let's see the guy in L.A. do that.

I love the references to "nothing else to do on Saturday". Kinda funny when you consider one of our fan strong holds is Southern California. Must be those Nebraska transplants can't find much else to do there on Saturday either.............or we simply have a loyal fan base that believe in a long lived program.

:clap

Good read. Sure I've been teased about being a 'hick' and I wear that name with pride. I rather be a hick any day over a goth, yuppie, punk, or anything else. Here I live outside of Calgary in the country, we've lived here almost 2 years, and the furthest I drive into the city is the very southern part of the city (to go to work and to catch the train to school). I don't know where anything is in the city, nor do I care. When I graduate I'm gettin' out!

Nice article. I mentioned leading up to the USC game that since I've lived down here in California for 3 years now, I've realized that these people may HAVE more to do, but that doesn't mean they take advantage of it. 95% of the people down here probably don't go anywhere besides maybe Six Flags or something once a year. I know most of them never go to the beaches and never ever go to the National Parks. Their loss, but they can't use the argument against us when it comes down to it.

Good read. Sure I've been teased about being a 'hick' and I wear that name with pride. I rather be a hick any day over a goth, yuppie, punk, or anything else. Here I live outside of Calgary in the country, we've lived here almost 2 years, and the furthest I drive into the city is the very southern part of the city (to go to work and to catch the train to school). I don't know where anything is in the city, nor do I care. When I graduate I'm gettin' out!

How often do you get to see husker games on TV in Canada? Thats one of the few things holding be from moving there... American Football Specifically, UNL

How often do you get to see husker games on TV in Canada? Thats one of the few things holding be from moving there... American Football Specifically, UNL

I get whatever's on ABC or any of the nets. That was my first main concern when we moved up here... I wouldn't recommend moving up here if you want to watch games. No FSN or ESPN. A channel called Fox Sports World Canada is available up here (if you want to watch soccer games), Rogers Sports Net (like FSN offers regional channels, Pacific, West, Ontario, East) but they cater to NHL hockey, Blue Jays games, and other boring winter/Canadian sports such as curling, TSN carries some ESPN games, and then there's headline sports, and a channel called The Score (they show some NCAA football games, but have yet to see a 'Skers game on there). And as well as NFL Sunday Ticket on PPV. We have digital cable (and satellite offers basically the same, except with more Canadian local affiliates, no thanks! :wacko:). So far the only 'Skers game I've seen on TV this year was the USC game on ABC, so I've been listening to games on Huskers.com).

Forgot to add if you like Canadian Football, I think it's possible to see every single game from every single team on TV here (isn't there like only 5 teams or something? The worst part is Calgary's colors are red and white, so when I wear my jersey on game day at work, people think I'm wearing a Calgary jersey. Last Saturday someone asked me when the game started, and I said "Nebraska?". They said, "No, Calgary." I replied with, "I don't know, and I don't care." :lol: