Is the Blackshirts really weak?

Now 5 games into the season we look at the Blackshirts stats

They are giving up on the average 15 points per game. 4 rushing tds and 6 passing tds for a total of 10 tds. They are giving up on the average 122 rushing yards a game and 198 passing yards a game. To me these are some pretty damn good stats. 15 points per game, 10 total tds, under 200 passing. The run defense could get a little better. Then I found the stat that has every saying that this defense is weak. The Blackshirts have 5 sacks. Last year we led the nation with 50. Since we are averaging 1 a game, this makes this defense look weak. The sack total is making this defense look really weak but in reality they are playing pretty good. Some might say we played 3 cream puffs and struggled against 2 good teams. If the Blackshirts clean up the tackling ( Stop trying to strip the ball and just tackle) and help the corners (The linebackers are helping in the passing game so they are not blitzing to much) with the safeties then will start to see the real Blackshirts. Last year the defense was always blitzing the linebackers. The sack total is making the defense look weak but to me they are playing pretty good but not great. Through 5 games I give them a B-, Offense A-, Special teams B (Slick Rick Thenarse is already a beast on special teams. Hope he plays like that on defense. Also like the up side on Major Culbert. Two speed guys from Los Angeles). NU 35-ISU 28 next week. Remember Husker fans if we just win everything will take care of it's self. JUST WIN BABY!!!!! :woo:wasted;)

This was the first game I saw in Memorial Stadium in 10+ years. The game was extremely exciting and I'm so happy that we won.... BUT.... the Blackshirts were very disappointing. I realize that I am no expert at analyzing our team and hope that someone can explain why or D was so inept. Maybe I'm wrong, but here is what I thought was happening -

1) Used the same defensive scheme all evening (4 down lineman & zone defense) until NU did a blitz in OT. Why no changes? Insanity = doing the same thing and expect different results.

2) Not much substitution on defense. Are the back-ups weaker that we though?

3) Lots of missed tackles. Did we become too confident after the 1st Q?

Its great to win and very exciting with OT, but giving up ~570 yds to KU just totally erodes my confidence of this team.

The pass rush no question is a concern after this game. No sacks, and we rarely got near the QB. And because of this, you can't blame the secondary entirely for the big passing numbers given up. With that said, Grisby is weakest link in the defensive backfield. We need those young DBs to step up.

I think a reason why are sack total is low is because teams are preparing for a big pass rush. We saw as the season went along last year that our sacks per game started to decrease. They know they have to double team Carriker and they know that they have to at least chip block on Moore to slow him down. I think it rest on Cos' shoulders to put them in position to succeed. Whether that be moving them around, blitzing more, or whatever.

The 15 points per game our defense is giving up is quite misleading. The only two teams we've really played are USC and KU. Which means we are giving up 30 points per game to quality opponents. Our front seven on defense are solid. Clearly the weakness is our secondary. Instead of bringing in a real defensive back Coz is dropping back a linebacker when we go into nickle coverage. Offensive coordinators know this and that's why Coz isn't blitzing. He's afraid if we pull a safety blitz or a corner blitz we will give up huge yards. I'm the first to admit I'm no DC but I'd like to see Coz go ahead and pressure the QB's a little more. Completely shut down their running game and force them to beat us in the air. The more time these QB's have to throw the more they will chew up our secondary. And to top it off we are also giving up the ground game as well.

To me, part of the problem starts up front. Cryer and Dagunduro are not as good as we had last year. Teams can afford to double Carriker. Bradley and Ruud have to go. Nice guys but they are just to slow to play those positions effectively in the Big 12. This defense is way to slow. We need some 225 lb safety playing the outside backer position who can run a 4.5 or better. Bradley and Ruud are to slow to the edge. The lack of a pass rush isn't doing the db's any favors. Teams are having to much time to throw, and the db's cannot cover that long. Sure we need better talent in the secondary, but to me more pressing is the lack of team speed on defense. We need some speed NOW, in 2006, not next year or the next. Play the speed. Bradley and Ruud are not going to scare any Big 12 offense, period!! :rant

The one thing I've noticed this year from last year is the LB's aren't rushing the QB as much. They're not blitzing as much as they did last year. And they're also dropping back into pass coverage more. I'm thinking with our weak secondary, the LB's aren't being allowed to blitz as much. If we had a strong secondary, I think the LB's would pressure the QB more.