How do we stop ISU QB

Meyer's a very good QB. He threw for almost 3000 yards and 19 TD's last season. ISU also returns ten starters on offense from last year. Nobody is giving ISU much of a chance because they haven't shown much their first three games, but the cyclones are ready for a break out game. If Coz doesn't use a defensive scheme that allows us to pressure their QB then it will be a long night.

Another thing, ISU is getting better and better at winning at home. In 2003 ISU lost 5 home games. In 2004 they only lost 2 home games. Last season they only lost 1 home game.

On the plus side though, Meyer has had a slow start. He has a 4 - 7 TD to interception ratio through his first 5 games and only a 140 QB efficieny rating.

I havnt had a chance to watch much ISU games this year, part of the texas and iowa games is all, but for all the talent and success the offense had last year, it is not there this year.

Odds and ends about ISU offense

Only scored more than 20 points in 2 games. 45 vs toledo, and 28 vs NIU. other games were 14, 16 and 17. Not much explosion there.

7TDs 4 INTs, not a great ratio, shows mistakes by meyer.

5 of the 7 TDs came from Blythe.

Meyer has been sacked 14 times.

They are 81st in rushing, ave 113 YPG

TO me the numbers show an offense that leans to being one dimensional, and if you can get pressure on Meyer he will make a mistake.

• Plus1 1

I feel that they are one dimensional.........McCarney forgets about Blythe and doesn't pass the ball as much as he should to that guy...........If he would pass the ball more then they probably would win games by much more. However they haven't played very well against some teams they should have stomped!!!

How do we stop Meyer?

We put something in front of him big enough to slow him down. Preferably that's the D-line, but if that falls through we can put a tractor there. Last time I was driving back to Memorial stadium I got behind one (so much for stereo types) and it did the job on me.

There is no place like Nebraska...

Nebraska 42

ISU 17

:box

I like the tractor approach, but what usually slows me down near this time of year are combines. So I say we play a 1-5-5, with the one combine taking up the entire d-line. I'm betting it will pretty hard for their o-line to block a combine.

That leaves 5 lb's to stop anything going outside.

Then we have 5 dbs (do we even have 5 db's?) to stop the pass, maybe we should do a 1-4-6, may need that extra db.

There, I think that ought to do it.

:dumdum

As long as as we put pressure on the quarterback he cant produce. Here's the fact's.

Toledo lost but went into triple overtime 45-43

UNLV lost 16-10

Norhern Iowa lost 28-27

This does not impress me one bit. As long as they bring the pressure, we will be alright. Those team are not very good anyways. Just thought I would point that out.

As long as as we put pressure on the quarterback he cant produce. Here's the fact's.

Toledo lost but went into triple overtime 45-43

UNLV lost 16-10

Norhern Iowa lost 28-27

This does not impress me one bit. As long as they bring the pressure, we will be alright. Those team are not very good anyways. Just thought I would point that out.

The previous results don't impress me, but I wasn't impressed by the previous results in 2004 either. ISU takes it to another level for Nebraska and I expect them to this year once again. I think this will be a tight game. If it is a NU blowout, I'd be ecstatic, but I will take a W any way we can get it there.

Meyer is a great talent and can freeze a defense because of his running ability, but is also a good passer. He is going to make some good plays today, that is for sure, the defense just needs to limit the big plays, force some turnovers with some pressure and all should be well.

It's really all about putting pressure on the quarterback. Our defense didn't do too much of that against KU last week. It's important that we pressure the QB and take him off his game.

One thing is we need to let our defense rest once in a while. Last week Kansas ran a total of 94 offensive plays and got 26 first downs against our defense. How can our defense remain productive in the latter part of the game when when they get 94 plays? Although we do have some great starters, we don't have a lot of depth. As stated several times above the key is putting pressure on Meyer. Coz's gameplan last week didn't work. I hope this week he is able to make some changes.