Go Big Red Recipes For Oct. 3

Roxy

I made the roast and cherry crisp pie for dinner last night and I highly recommend both of them. I didn't put the potatoes in the crockpot..because they turn brown if you do that..I always make the mashed potatoes seperate when cooking a roast. I highly recommend both recipes. Make them both in the morning and when Nebraska gets done playing ..you will have a great dinner afterwards:)

Crockpot Roast Beef

1 beef roast, any kind

1 (1-1/4 oz.) package dried brown gray mix

1 (1-1/4 oz.) package dried Italian salad dressing mix

1 (1-1/4 oz.) package dried ranch dressing mix-I used Hidden Valley

1/2 cup water

I put sliced mushrooms, small baby carrots on the bottom of the crockpot. I sprinkled the roast with garlic powder and pepper. I would have put garlic on the bottom of the crockpot too, but, I didn't have any.

1. Place beef roast in crockpot.

2. Mix the dried mixes together in a bowl and spinkle over the roast.

3. Pour water around the roast.

4. Cook on low for 7-9 hours.

I made this at 8 a.m. and we ate at 8 p.m. or so. It was so juicy and tender..we loved it.

I mixed 4 tablespoons of flour with 1 cup of milk. I am not sure how much broth I used..just poured the broth in a sauce pan..let it get hot and then added the flour and milk mixture to it. Use more of less flour and milk to make how much gravy you will need. I also added some kitchen bouquet to the gravy.

Cherry Crisp Pie

1/4 cup-1/2 stick-butter or margarine

3/4 cup quick-cooking oats or old-fashioned oats-I used Old Fashioned Quaker Oats

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1/2 cup chopped chopped pecans-if desired, I just used a small bag..didn't measure...we like pecans

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1-21-oz. can cherry pie filling-*see note below

1-9-inch prepared graham cracker crust

Melt butter in saucepan (medium). Remove from heat and stir in oats, flour, brown sugar, pecans, if desired, and cinnamon. Spoon pie filling into crust. Sprinkle oat mixture over top. Place pie on a baking sheet.

Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 40-45 minutes. I baked it for 40 minutes. Bake it till topping is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. I baked it on a cookie sheet and just let it cool on it. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.

*The recipe said to use 2 (21 oz.) cans cherry pie filling..but, I goofed up and used only 1 can. Glad I did though..1 can was plenty.

Baked Chicken Cacciatore

One 3 pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces

Salt and fresh cracked pepper

2 TBS olive oil

2 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into narrow strips

1 large onion, thinly sliced

8 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and quartered

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 cups canned Italian peeled tomatoes, drained and chopped

1 tsp dried oregano

Preheat oven to 450*. Oil a roasting pan to hold chicken pieces in a single layer. Rinse and pat dry chicken, lay in roasting pan skin side down. Salt and pepper. Bake for approximately 30 minutes.

Turn chicken and salt & pepper. Bake another 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.

While chicken is baking, in a large skillet heat the oil over med-high heat. Add the peppers, onions, and mushrooms in a single shallow layer. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned, about 15 minutes.

Stir in the garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sauce is thick, about 30 minutes.

Spoon off any visible grease around the chicken. Pour sauce and vegetables over and around chicken pieces. Bake 20 more minutes. Serve hot over rice, noodles, pasta or mashed potatoes.

**NOTE: You can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts. If you use these, add about a cup of chicken broth to enhance the flavor. Chicken bones and skin give this dish flavor.

You can also add a cubanelle pepper with the other peppers for additional flavor. Cubanelles are not hot but lend a fresh flavor that bell peppers don't have.