DE Patrick Grant

Player: Patrick Grant

Hometown: Lauderdale Lakes

Position: DE

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 220

40 time: 4.60

Visit Date: 10/20/06

Scholarships offered: NU, Arizona St, North Carolina St, Colorado, Louisville, & Minnesota

Favorites: Committed to Louisville

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: Rivals 94th of FL's top 100 prospects/ :star:star:star

Bid Red Report: :star:star:star

Assessing the talent: super-quick speed rusher - & has been clocked w/ a 4.51 forty time

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: NU just offered, & he set a visit for the NU/tx game quickly. Also, he just released his top 3 & NU made that list along w/ nc st & co

p.s. he visited co for az st/co game, & will visit nc st on 11/24, & mn on 12/01

• 3 weeks later...

It is Grant but I am excited about this guy. Pretty lanky frame and probably weighs closer to 200 pounds than the 220 Rivals has him at. But he has run 48.5 in the 400 and is just a terror coming off the edge. Jenkins might commit in the near future too, along with more than a few visitors from this weekend. Here is the link where I found his 400m dash time: http://www.milesplit.com/meet/15406. Scroll down. GBR

Blake, Huskers land defensive recruit

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Sunday, Oct 22, 2006 - 09:43:41 pm CDT

Nebraska defensive line coach John Blake played the lead role in landing Patrick Grant. (LJS file)

John Blake’s noted recruiting prowess paid off this past weekend, as Nebraska landed an oral commitment from defensive end Patrick Grant of Lauderdale Lakes, Fla.

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound Grant — rated as a three-star player (on a scale of five) by Scout.com and Rivals.com — said Sunday that Blake played the lead role in his recruitment and was a major factor in his final decision.

“He’s very outgoing,” Grant said of Blake, the Husker defensive line coach. “And he doesn’t beat around the bush. We had good chemistry. We went to his house, and I met his family and he showed me all of his accomplishments.

“I just felt that Nebraska, as a school, was the best fit for me.”

At least eight recruits targeted by Nebraska were scheduled to make official campus visits during Saturday’s Texas-Nebraska game in Lincoln, including Grant’s high school teammate, Moses Jenkins, a 6-2, 170-pound defensive back.

Grant became the 14th player to pledge to Nebraska’s class of 2007, and the fourth defensive lineman. Husker coaches have said they plan to recruit five defensive linemen in this cycle.

Grant said he has run the 40-yard dash in 4.51 seconds and 400 meters in :47.88. He has six sacks this season for Boyd Anderson High School, which takes a 6-2 record into district play this week.

In addition to his Nebraska visit, Grant made an official recruiting trip to Colorado last month and has visits scheduled to North Carolina State and Minnesota. It is unclear if he still plans to make those trips.

“I’m pretty locked in with Nebraska,” he said. “I can’t see anybody getting better than this. I just feel pretty comfortable at Nebraska. Colorado just isn’t me.”

He noted contrast in temperature in Lauderdale Lakes (population 32,000), in the southeast corner of the Florida, compared to Nebraska’s blustery weather Saturday.

“After Nebraska’s halfback pass (in the fourth quarter), I felt pretty warm,” Grant said. “When Texas made that field goal at the end, it got pretty cold again.”

Reach Steven M. Sipple at 473-7440 or ssipple@journalstar.com.

2007 oral commitments

CB Anthony Blue, 5-10 175, Cedar Hill, Texas

RB Quentin Castille, 6-1 234, La Porte, Texas

DE/TE Jared Crick, 6-6 245, Cozad

DT Demetrious Davis, 6-2 285, St. Joseph, Mo. (Benton)

OLB Jared Glover, 6-5 220, Bixby, Okla.

DE Patrick Grant, 6-3 215, Lauderdale Lakes, Fla.

TE Ian Harris, 6-3 217, San Antonio (Churchill)

RB Roy Helu, 5-11 205, Danville, Calif. (San Ramon)

TE Ryan Hill, 6-3 230, Arvada, Colo.

OLB Blake Lawrence, 6-2 200, Shawnee, Kan. (Shawnee Mission West)

WR Niles Paul, 6-2 210, Omaha (North)

CB Shawn Sullivan, 5-11 185, Brenham, Texas

S DeAndre West, 6-1 195, Oakland, Calif. (Wilson)

QB Patrick Witt , 6-4 215, Wylie, Texas