Huskerboard.com does it again

Prepare to pay for Texas tix

BY MELISSA LEE / Lincoln Journal Star

Someone — anyone — help this guy get a ticket. Home from his fifth tour of duty in the Middle East with the U.S. Navy, all Keith Kemper wants to do is see the Huskers play.

He adores Nebraska football but has never been to a home game. And he’d love to take his 4-year-old son to Memorial Stadium Saturday to watch the Blackshirts (maybe) roll over the Texas Longhorns.

Kemper’s dad even placed a want ad in the newspaper. So how many offers do you think they’ve gotten?

“No calls yet,” Kemper reported good-naturedly from his family’s home in St. Edward.

“I was just trying to get to the game, but apparently so is everyone else.”

So even a guy in the Navy can’t get a pair of tickets for some father-son bonding. Seems there’s not much hope for the rest of Husker Nation.

Indeed, demand for tickets likely hasn’t been this high since 2001, when NU took on both Oklahoma and Notre Dame at home.

This week’s local classifieds feature ads from fans begging for seats. And Web sites like eBay and ticketexpress.com offer a plethora of options — all for a price that would seemingly make most Nebraskans gulp.

A pair of end zone seats for $399. Two tickets on the 45-yard line for $355. A student ticket for $86. Four seats together for $1,600 (plus shipping, natch).

Face value on a single ticket to Saturday’s game, by the way, is $65.

So what could possibly move these crazy cornheads to shell out hundreds of dollars when the experts in Vegas are favoring last year’s national champions by at least a touchdown?

“They’re two winning teams. There’s this romantic aura about it,” said Eric the Red, co-owner of Huskerboard.com, an Omaha-based site where fans can buy and sell Husker merchandise and discuss anything scarlet-and-cream.

“This is just good, old-fashioned football. People are willing to pay the price.”

"The Red" himself is seeking two tickets and would pay up to $250 for a pair.

Kemper hasn’t decided how high he’d go, but he does know he’s prepared to pay much more than face value.

A few cash-strapped fans have had to rely on, ah, alternative methods.

One man strolled into Husker Headquarters, 1120 P St., and offered sales associate Jamie Emal $50 for her ticket. Another guy offered $25 cash plus a dinner date.

Emal, a 22-year-old Southeast Community College student, said thanks but no thanks. Her entire family’s rolling in from Kearney, and she’s not about to miss this matchup.

“It’ll be really exciting,” she said.

Among the T-shirt logos flying off the shelves at Husker Headquarters: “It’s time to separate the men from the boys” and “Peace, love and hate Texas.”

Nebraskans aren’t the only ones geeked about this game. One Longhorn fan posted on a Texas football message board that he’d agreed to drive to Lincoln, pick up a friend’s new piano and haul it back — all because the friend had agreed to buy him a ticket.

Tyler Schwartz, an SCC freshman, had offers as high as $120 for his ticket, but he made the charitable decision to sell it to a buddy for the same price he bought it for: $100.

A friend was considering selling her ticket for $200, Schwartz said.

Even though he’s a self-described poor college kid, that number’s still eye-popping.

“It’s getting to be ridiculous.”

Reach Melissa Lee at 473-2682 or mlee@journalstar.com.

Prepare to pay for Texas tix

BY MELISSA LEE / Lincoln Journal Star

Someone — anyone — help this guy get a ticket. Home from his fifth tour of duty in the Middle East with the U.S. Navy, all Keith Kemper wants to do is see the Huskers play.

He adores Nebraska football but has never been to a home game. And he’d love to take his 4-year-old son to Memorial Stadium Saturday to watch the Blackshirts (maybe) roll over the Texas Longhorns.

Kemper’s dad even placed a want ad in the newspaper. So how many offers do you think they’ve gotten?

“No calls yet,” Kemper reported good-naturedly from his family’s home in St. Edward.

“I was just trying to get to the game, but apparently so is everyone else.”

So even a guy in the Navy can’t get a pair of tickets for some father-son bonding. Seems there’s not much hope for the rest of Husker Nation.

Indeed, demand for tickets likely hasn’t been this high since 2001, when NU took on both Oklahoma and Notre Dame at home.

This week’s local classifieds feature ads from fans begging for seats. And Web sites like eBay and ticketexpress.com offer a plethora of options — all for a price that would seemingly make most Nebraskans gulp.

A pair of end zone seats for $399. Two tickets on the 45-yard line for $355. A student ticket for $86. Four seats together for $1,600 (plus shipping, natch).

Face value on a single ticket to Saturday’s game, by the way, is $65.

So what could possibly move these crazy cornheads to shell out hundreds of dollars when the experts in Vegas are favoring last year’s national champions by at least a touchdown?

“They’re two winning teams. There’s this romantic aura about it,” said Eric the Red, co-owner of Huskerboard.com, an Omaha-based site where fans can buy and sell Husker merchandise and discuss anything scarlet-and-cream.

“This is just good, old-fashioned football. People are willing to pay the price.”

Kemper hasn’t decided how high he’d go, but he does know he’s prepared to pay much more than face value.

A few cash-strapped fans have had to rely on, ah, alternative methods.

One man strolled into Husker Headquarters, 1120 P St., and offered sales associate Jamie Emal $50 for her ticket. Another guy offered $25 cash plus a dinner date.

Emal, a 22-year-old Southeast Community College student, said thanks but no thanks. Her entire family’s rolling in from Kearney, and she’s not about to miss this matchup.

“It’ll be really exciting,” she said.

Among the T-shirt logos flying off the shelves at Husker Headquarters: “It’s time to separate the men from the boys” and “Peace, love and hate Texas.”

Nebraskans aren’t the only ones geeked about this game. One Longhorn fan posted on a Texas football message board that he’d agreed to drive to Lincoln, pick up a friend’s new piano and haul it back — all because the friend had agreed to buy him a ticket.

Tyler Schwartz, an SCC freshman, had offers as high as $120 for his ticket, but he made the charitable decision to sell it to a buddy for the same price he bought it for: $100.

A friend was considering selling her ticket for $200, Schwartz said.

Even though he’s a self-described poor college kid, that number’s still eye-popping.

“It’s getting to be ridiculous.”

Reach Melissa Lee at 473-2682 or mlee@journalstar.com.

:restore

That's awesome for huskerboard.com to get into that article. It's too bad this guy can't find any tickets....I paid $400.00 for the pair of tickets I have and they are all the way in the top in the North endzone......you know I really don't care I just want to be there!!!! Next year I'll pay the same for USC vs. Neb. tickets if I have to because I'm gonna be there for that as well!!!!! :bonez

That's awesome for huskerboard.com to get into that article. It's too bad this guy can't find any tickets....I paid $400.00 for the pair of tickets I have and they are all the way in the top in the North endzone......you know I really don't care I just want to be there!!!! Next year I'll pay the same for USC vs. Neb. tickets if I have to because I'm gonna be there for that as well!!!!! :bonez

Actually he did. Navy serviceman and son have tickets

Ok ok thats a happy ending to a great story and all, but it wasnt exactly a romantic tale of woe, good vs evil and one man's epic quest with only his nanalama as his companion, seeking tickets to the holy land, or anything.

“They’re two winning teams. There’s this romantic aura about it,” said Eric the Red, co-owner of Huskerboard.com......

SO FOR THE LOVE OF LINDSEYLOHAN, DOES THE ETR HAVE HIS TICKETS YET????!!!!!!!??? THE RED HIMSELF is seeking tickets folks.

where is the love for the red.

:nanalama:nanalama:nanalama:nanalama

Ok ok thats a happy ending to a great story and all, but it wasnt exactly a romantic tale of woe, good vs evil and one man's epic quest with only his nanalama as his companion, seeking tickets to the holy land, or anything.

“They’re two winning teams. There’s this romantic aura about it,” said Eric the Red, co-owner of Huskerboard.com......

SO FOR THE LOVE OF LINDSEYLOHAN, DOES THE ETR HAVE HIS TICKETS YET????!!!!!!!??? THE RED HIMSELF is seeking tickets folks.

where is the love for the red.

:nanalama:nanalama:nanalama:nanalama

YYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a god...the red scores some tickets on the f'ing 40 yard line, row 20 ..f#*k yeah

See you all bright and early at skersfan's tailgate.