Accused pastor admits he bought meth

Double post?

Guess I'll add the song that's been haunting me the last couple of hours..

interesting that that song is haunting you....it always makes me think of Donnie Darko (since it's in it, but I'm sure it's in other movies too). That's a trippy, "make you think" kind of movie as it is.

good thoughts though...thank you for that. I like that you state that you basically won't ever understand any of it, but it's just how you feel. Those are the believers that I respect because you see faith as more of a personal responsibility than a social one. You may not go to church, read the bible or get into religious discussions, but you believe what you believe because it helps you get through life. And you're not going to think your way is the only way and everyone else is going to hell! Nor do you think you have to "save" those people.

Faith is actually a beautiful thing if you break it down. It's a way that billions of people get through the rough times. When they feel so alone they know they have something to turn to. And it's helped shape the BASICS of what is right and what is wrong. Unfortunately it was the decision by humans to actually organize a faith based religion that corrupted it and has since separated humanity for so many years.

Double post?

interesting that that song is haunting you....it always makes me think of Donnie Darko (since it's in it, but I'm sure it's in other movies too). That's a trippy, "make you think" kind of movie as it is.

good thoughts though...thank you for that. I like that you state that you basically won't ever understand any of it, but it's just how you feel. Those are the believers that I respect because you see faith as more of a personal responsibility than a social one. You may not go to church, read the bible or get into religious discussions, but you believe what you believe because it helps you get through life. And you're not going to think your way is the only way and everyone else is going to hell! Nor do you think you have to "save" those people.

Faith is actually a beautiful thing if you break it down. It's a way that billions of people get through the rough times. When they feel so alone they know they have something to turn to. And it's helped shape the BASICS of what is right and what is wrong. Unfortunately it was the decision by humans to actually organize a faith based religion that corrupted it and has since separated humanity for so many years.

Yeah, that song really does bring Donnie Darko to mind.

I will however refrain from religious discussion.

Sounds good to me. Really liked your post. Gave me a lot of things to think about. I was just wondering because I consider myself "religious" and just didn't really want to hear that people think I'm crazy haha. But I think our definitions of religious are different.

And I can agree about the "sinning in His name" part. That is one of the major things that groups religious people in a bad light.

But to end I don't follow the teachings of any human blindly. Most of what I believe is from my own interpretations of the Bible and my own intuition.

And thanks for taking the time to answer.

I have a feeling, if I ever wanted to learn more about Religion, you'd be fun to PM with..And if you ever have a question for God..She/He more times than not... answers mine semi-coherently.

Your statement about grouping religious people in a bad light is sorta sad but true.

I'm reminded of my best friend's Mom when I was in Highschool '78 or '79.

I was over at their house and she was watching "The 700 Club"? or whichever one Jim Baker was on.

She was actually writing him a check and I was giving her a hard time for being so gullable.

We had some really interesting talks about who invented God and crazy things like that..and at the time..I was better at spotting what I thought were "evil people" or maybe looking back..People a little weaker in faith than most..

My friend went off to school in Enid, OK a couple years after I went to UNL..And I lost touch with his Parents..Dropped by to an empty house every time I went back home for a visit..But to this day..I regret not being successful in contacting his Mom after the Baker-gate? thing happened..Partly to say "I tol' you so", but more to make sure her faith wasn't fazed..(I know it wasn't).

Anytime you want. I enjoy conversing with others about religion. I won't claim to know everything but I have a lot of people around me that I can ask if there is something I don't know enough about to have an opinion (since that's what most of it is anyway)

As far as the 700 Club, I don't think I ever heard anything about it. I'm only 21 so anything before the 90's I don't know much about (aside from Husker football of course)

another double.. <_<

Guess I'll fill in with Jim Bakker stuff for the under 21s

Jim Bakker and Tammy Faye Scam

by balisunset, Aug 25, 2008

The televangelist Jim Bakker, born James O. Bakker, met Tammy Faye LaValley in 1960, while he was enrolled in North Central Bible College, and they were married in 1961. Both came from humble beginnings, which PTL Ministry staff members would later cite as an excuse for the Bakkers’ excesses and inappropriate expenditures. In their ministry, the Bakkers developed a strong belief in “prosperity theology,” in which the basic premise is that God gives to those who give to Him. This belief became a common theme in the Bakkers’ ministry and in their personal lives.

continued

Double post?

Not sure who Donnie Darko is..I guess I first heard the song on youtube or a trikke board I was checking out (Trikkes look like a great way to exercise).

It made me think of Tears for Fears, although I don't think I have any of their music in my vast? library.

And you're right about Faith being a Beautiful thing...

The personal responsibility/social thing..In some ways, I may sound a little selfish..But beyond trying to make sure those close to you "get in", I sometimes have a hard time figuring out why "they" try to get EVERYbody in the club..My suspicions are that the original writers were told by the Church elders to just add something in the first drafts of the Bible..Something about populatin' the planet and recruiting everyone you came across so the "Church" could get even more money (tithing?).

The recent election got me asking a "religious" co-worker about what "Religious folks" have against things like Stem Cell Research..or even Gay marriage.

Despite the fear of the tree of knowledge crap that was drilled into us..God gave us brains to find ways to prosper and thrive...and to work out ways to find cures for whatever challenges happen...Lot more efficient to teach someone to fish than to constantly feed them when they get hungry.

Pardon my bluntness..But I'm still not sure why gay people exist..Maybe just a tool for weeding out the less tolerant of us in God's eyes?

But I still say, "Why shouldn't Gay's be just as miserable as the rest of the married population"?

Anytime you want. I enjoy conversing with others about religion. I won't claim to know everything but I have a lot of people around me that I can ask if there is something I don't know enough about to have an opinion (since that's what most of it is anyway)

As far as the 700 Club, I don't think I ever heard anything about it. I'm only 21 so anything before the 90's I don't know much about (aside from Husker football of course)

Another double post..

Must have a shaky mouse finger?

I guess I'll repeat this question for you to ponder:

The personal responsibility/social thing..In some ways, I may sound a little selfish..But beyond trying to make sure those close to you "get in", I sometimes have a hard time figuring out why "they" try to get EVERYbody in the club..My suspicions are that the original writers were told by the Church elders to just add something in the first drafts of the Bible..Something about populatin' the planet and recruiting everyone you came across so the "Church" could get even more money (tithing?).

The recent election got me asking a "religious" co-worker about what "Religious folks" have against things like Stem Cell Research..or even Gay marriage.

Despite the fear of the tree of knowledge crap that was drilled into us..God gave us brains to find ways to prosper and thrive...and to work out ways to find cures for whatever challenges happen...Lot more efficient to teach someone to fish than to constantly feed them when they get hungry.

Pardon my bluntness..But I'm still not sure why gay people exist..Maybe just a tool for weeding out the less tolerant of us in God's eyes?

But I still say, "Why shouldn't Gay's be just as miserable as the rest of the married population"?

Not sure who Donnie Darko is..I guess I first heard the song on youtube or a trikke board I was checking out (Trikkes look like a great way to exercise).

It made me think of Tears for Fears, although I don't think I have any of their music in my vast? library.

Donnie Darko is a movie...with Jake Gyllenhaal. Check it out when you can, it's actually a really good movie. At least if you like dark movies that make you think.

most of that is just a Christian belief. Since Christ went around preaching and trying to get people to follow the word of God and accept God in their lives, a lot of Christian people today feel as if they must do the same thing; tell people that the only way to happiness and an everlasting life is to accept Christ as their savior. It's amazing what one story contained in a book can do to billions and billions of people for so many years.

which is one of my many qualms of religion. many people try and open up their mind to the idea of faith, but close it to cognitive thinking.

I've had this discussion with a Catholic friend of mine. Many Catholics (and several others) don't believe in any form of birth control. I never understood why people with 9 children just continue to pop them out saying "God will let us know when we're done having children." My friend holds the idea that life is sacred and is something to only be entrusted into God's hands, and if people don't won't to have children they just shouldn't have sex. So I asked her what if you got up to heaven and god told you "I gave man the knowledge to make birth control products....use 'em!!"

But I guess that's what faith is. Having a belief in something that you don't really know for sure is true. And that's why no one wins at the faith arguments.

Donnie Darko is a movie...with Jake Gyllenhaal. Check it out when you can, it's actually a really good movie. At least if you like dark movies that make you think.

most of that is just a Christian belief. Since Christ went around preaching and trying to get people to follow the word of God and accept God in their lives, a lot of Christian people today feel as if they must do the same thing; tell people that the only way to happiness and an everlasting life is to accept Christ as their savior. It's amazing what one story contained in a book can do to billions and billions of people for so many years.

which is one of my many qualms of religion. many people try and open up their mind to the idea of faith, but close it to cognitive thinking.

I've had this discussion with a Catholic friend of mine. Many Catholics (and several others) don't believe in any form of birth control. I never understood why people with 9 children just continue to pop them out saying "God will let us know when we're done having children." My friend holds the idea that life is sacred and is something to only be entrusted into God's hands, and if people don't won't to have children they just shouldn't have sex. So I asked her what if you got up to heaven and god told you "I gave man the knowledge to make birth control products....use 'em!!"

But I guess that's what faith is. Having a belief in something that you don't really know for sure is true. And that's why no one wins at the faith arguments.

I almost always like movies that make me think, but I don't usually seek them out.

Kinda like potato chips (I like eating them, but I never think to buy them).

I prefer movies with brief nudity or at least ones that make me laugh...But I'll try to check it out.

Double post?

And you're right about Faith being a Beautiful thing...

you're actually kind of right about the church telling people to make disciples. i watched a history channel thing about it and they said that the church had it in their best interest to gain as many people as they could versus the normal way of making more of your kind, procreation

this is why gay people exist...it's genetic mutation. mutation doesn't necessarily mean good or bad, it's just what it is.