Remember when Tom O learned pass defense

It seems to me that are DBs arent agressive enough. Jones has improved imo and green is also a good DB but Shanle is unimpressive. These players should have the desire to hospitalize the opposing players (legaly) every chance they get, if you think about it how many huge sticks have they had. I can't think of very many. This is something Elmo should instill in their heads.

Totally agree I hate when people gauge there expectations on Teams that were some of the best in CFB history. I want these kids just to play their collective arses off every game with the talent we have now and with the coaches good things will happen.

This thread was not at all meant to compare any teams. It was directed at the coaches and a suspected failure to evolve their own theories as the game changes. As good as Osborne and Bowden were and are, they still sought out advice from each other and the college game as a whole improved. Maybe that's why they and their staffs were eventually hugely successful.

Football evolves, like everything else. Theories come and go. Remember the wishbone? Who runs that anymore? Well, maybe the USAFA. The point is, it used to be unstoppable when OU ran it. How about the veer offense. Same thing can be said about defense. All I am saying is maybe Coz is stuck in a rut. Never known for brilliant defenses, maybe, as intense as he might be, he hasn't kept up with the game.

One of the posts suggested that "fans" over simplify. That's correct but that makes my point. Modern football defense is a fabulously complex study in physical group dynamics. Even more so than offense. It must react to what the offense does. Even if it is aggresive in nature, trying to blow up plays before they can succeed, defense is still a reactive endeavor. Offensive football has evolved. Wasn't that BC's whole approach when he went to the WC offense. Same should go for defense.

My two cents anyway.

:bonez

One thing I've noticed about this year's D - the front 4 is NOT as good as last year. We need speed at outside linebacker and a Trev A.-type guy in the middle.

Bowman not there REALLY hurts us - bad. And our secondary just kept getting hit with injuries.

We do have to recruit tall, speedy athletes for the secondary. I'd like to see more blue-chippers recruited for the secondary and D-line.

I see a lack of a killer instinct, too. That's something we had from '93 to '97. Those teams just poured it on.

Coach E's resume just isn't that impressive. Are ANY of those schools known for their defense/secondary? Just all middling programs before us, pretty much.

veru good thread. I think we have some of the athletes we are looking for they are just young. Shanle has had multiple opportunities to light people up but didnt do it. the final play of the first half in the OKst game is a great example. Light bowman up and they dont score and that game is different. Even if its early and a 15 yd penalty they dont score and we send a message. That is why i have called for some of the youngsters Thenarse and Culbert. they cant do any worse and i bet you they would have lit that dude up