K Adi Kunalic

Texas recruit gears up to kick for Huskers

By: Katelyn Kerkhove

Issue date: 4/24/07 Section: Husker Football

* Print

* Email

* Article Tools

Page 1 of 2 next >

If there is one thing Adi Kunalic will definitely bring to Nebraska this fall, it's work ethic.

Still a senior at North Crowley High School in Fort Worth, Texas, Kunalic is a kicker who has his sights set on a big role for the Cornhusker football team.

He knows it's going to take a lot of dedication.

The incoming recruit started by working out four days a week, carrying a bag of balls to the practice field by his high school and kicking field goals. It's something Kunalic's high school coach, Mike Papas, is used to by now.

"Because he's a kicker, we would just give him a bag of balls and say, 'Go kick and come back in a couple hours,' and he would," Papas said. "He takes a lot of care in what he's doing. Right now, he is kicking about four days a week and doing weights and running.

"For a kid that's not even going to school for the next couple months, I think that shows some commitment."

The only kicker in the Huskers' 2007 recruiting class, Kunalic comes to NU after turning down offers from schools like Miami, Kansas, Washington State and Utah. During his senior year, he averaged nearly 40 yards on 46 punts, and his junior year he was 7-of-9 on field goal attempts.

To Kunalic, it's his junior year that stands out.

"I was always hanging out with the older people; the seniors from last year were my friends," he said. "We had unity on the team, and that's something we lacked this year. We won district; pretty much went undefeated. I got to set a few records, and I got better throughout the year. I'll definitely remember junior year."

But Papas will remember Kunalic for his final two high school years. Even after straining his knee, the six-foot senior learned to punt after North Crowley graduated its punter from the year before.

"He was probably our best weapon, our best defensive weapon, because he kicked off 64 times, and people only attempted returns 10 times," Papas said. "That's a tremendous weapon -exactly what you want. We've had some pretty good kickers here in the past, but one that becomes a defensive weapon is really special."

Kunalic said he was impressed by more than just Nebraska's coaching staff, facilities and team during the recruiting process.

It was the tradition and fan base the Huskers have constantly boasted that stuck with him.

He traveled to Lincoln for the spring game on April 14 and was shocked and nervous when fans shouted his name because they recognized his face."I already knew it was a big school, and coming out there just made me realize how big the tradition was," Kunalic said. "I really liked everything - it's Husker Nation. It's exciting to play for a team that the whole state is cheering for."

While he knows he'll have his work cut out for him once he moves to Lincoln this summer, Kunalic said he's anticipating the challenge.

"Hopefully, I'll be kicking my first year," Kunalic said. "That's what they want me to do. Coach (Shawn) Watson told me that. He called me after the spring game and said, 'We really need you,' and I was like 'I'm getting ready right now.' I definitely want to play, but it's all about who's kicking the best."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is he going to be the starter ?

probably a safe bet

:yeah I don't think that anyone else on the roster has the accuracy or leg that this guy has, but we'll see. Wasn't there a kicker that was transferring to Nebraska? I seem to remember something like that.

edit: Nevermind that guy won't be eligible anyway until next year if he did come. Name was Bryant Hahnfeldt .

I hope the information about him is a lot more accurate than the info on Congdon coming out of high school. It was represented that Congdon could accurately kick FGs 50-yards-plus. I don't know where that misinformation came from.

:yeah Didn't he have a private kicking coach that was really hyping him up or something like that? Kickers are probably pretty hard to evaluate, especially from tape.

Alex Henery? He transferred in from Vanderbilt, right?

Nope, graduated from Omaha Burke and redshirted in 06.

I don't get it. Congdon was a freshman all-American, wasn't he? In his career, he was something like 4/5 between 40-49. So I mean, what did he have to complain about "playing time"??

The coaches had no trust in his leg beyond 45 yards which caused them to go for it on 4th down quite a bit from the 25-35 yard line. I wouldn't be surprised if NU had more 4th down attempts than any other team in the nation.

I don't get it. Congdon was a freshman all-American, wasn't he? In his career, he was something like 4/5 between 40-49. So I mean, what did he have to complain about "playing time"??

The coaches had no trust in his leg beyond 45 yards which caused them to go for it on 4th down quite a bit from the 25-35 yard line. I wouldn't be surprised if NU had more 4th down attempts than any other team in the nation.

Nebraska tied for 19th with 23 4th down attempts: link

Nebraska tied for 19th with 23 4th down attempts: link

That number probably would have been about half that if NU had a kicker with a reliable leg from beyond 40.

• 2 years later...