Will Buff fans graciously accept defeat......

hskrdedhed

I can guarantee you that they wont have to clear out a section of our student section in attendance anytime soon.

Well, I think that striving to not be as bad as CU students at a football game might be a pretty low bar :) I'm not saying "We're just as bad" or anything like that! I'm just saying that 'sker fans aren't all peachy nice friendly folks either. Yeah, nothing is the "Sal" range is likely to EVER happen again (not any time soon, anyway), that was just downright evil. However, during the KU game there sure were a lot of people doing the wave while that player was hurt. Hey, I was there. I get it. It wasn't a "yay he's hurt" wave... it was a "this is taking 20 minutes, let's do SOMETHING to stay awake" wave. People applauded very nicely when he got up. However, there were people who weren't there who heard about it (people in lincoln) who were disgusted that it even happened. I had to explain the atomosphere, that when there is no action for so long people get restless and, well, do stuff. Be that as it may, it daoesn't take much to start looking like a bunch of jerks. It really doesn't even take that much spin to turn that into negative press. But one thing that can almost certainly start you down the road to bad fandom is believing that we (NU fans) are per se "good fans." Hey, we weren't doing that wave because we're bad, we're doing ti because we're bored. The point is that it doesn't make a difference, it was inappropriate and inconsiderate. We weren't out to actively hurt anybody, we just didn't care or think about it; why would we? We're the most polite people in the world.

Striving to be better than the worst isn't really aiming for much. Hey, there are times when I think you're SUPPOSED to boo and jeer. It's what the game's about. It's a show, it's a melodrama. The villian comes out and jumps on your logo in the middle of the field-- let 'em have it. That's WHY they're doing it. IT would amost be rude to no boo. When that texas jackass came out in... err... oh god... that game that ended with the INT in the endzone... that guy planted the UT flag on our N... he did that to get us to Boo... let him have it.. all of it... full on.

But come on, a dude is hurt... the wave? As the saying goes, it's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. That's when it becomes personal... maybe the end of his career... not cool. "But Owen," I hear you cry, "That's not as bad as throwing ice at old ladies, is it? IS IT!?"

No, but, again, kidnapping a bus full of special ed kids, driving them out into the middle of nowhere, spray painting their faces orange, and then letting them find their way back to town isn't as bad as shooting up a kindergarten, either... but the former example doesn't make you a good person :)

Okay... I know, I expect too much from people. There are ALWAYS going to be the few who have to mock a dead player, cut in line around handicapped people, or just inconsiderately do the wave while a player is down. That's just the nature of the game. And I'm really proud that we have a very small number of people who do that sort of thing. (GBR) I just dream of 100% ;) that would drive bad opposing fans NUTS if they couldn't get a rise out of anyone at all...

Heh... Oh my... I just spent way too much time writing that.