Are you satisfied with Callahan?

Well after 3 years of Callahan's stint at head coach, we are probably back to where we were in 2003. We have not beaten a top 15 team yet. Also the team is still struggling on the road, and not beating Oklahoma or Texas, as they are a combined 0-4 against both. The south is dominating the Big 12 still. The recruiting has not been great, and we don't really have any big playmakers like top 10 caliber teams do. We don't play with the consistency that top 10 teams do either. Also there have been meltdowns like at Oklahoma St. that are reminiscent of past years.

Some may say that it takes time to turn a program around. Well I don't think that much progress has been made since the firing of Solich. I am not defending Solich or saying that we shouldn't have fired him, I'm just saying that if you fire a coach, then the program should be improved 3 years after he left. The offense has been improved, but the defense has gotten worse. The undersized DB's that we have are a joke and they can't compete on a high level.

I'm not really sure what to think of Callahan. I think that NU fans will get impatient as time goes on if NU is going 9-4 or 8-4 every year. I also don't think the Callahan is the coach to lead NU back to greatness and a national championship. Also having Cosgrove as DC doesn't help. What needs to happen is we need to fire Cosgrove, and recruit better. I think Nebraska will be a great team again someday. But, now they are just a good team, not a great team, and I expect fans to get tired of that after a while. It is a trend that I see continuing, but the future of Nebraska is not clear.

The offense absolutely needed to be changed. Callahan is the offense mind that has done that. Painful growing years but this was a good thing and we are getting better . We are going to be able to go into CA, TX, and FL and get recruits to play here in an NFL system. So, I like what has happened on offense.

On defense, I agree we have been too inconsistent. We need to make a concentrated effort to get back to the BlackShirts tradition and be an intimidating force on defense. Recruiting more speed on defense will help as well as getting guys who can lay the wood. We are missing both right now so that must improve.

I feel like I know what to expect on offense next year...but it will be how much the defense improves to decide if we will be back in BCS games and national championships.

The offense absolutely needed to be changed. Callahan is the offense mind that has done that. Painful growing years but this was a good thing and we are getting better . We are going to be able to go into CA, TX, and FL and get recruits to play here in an NFL system. So, I like what has happened on offense.

On defense, I agree we have been too inconsistent. We need to make a concentrated effort to get back to the BlackShirts tradition and be an intimidating force on defense. Recruiting more speed on defense will help as well as getting guys who can lay the wood. We are missing both right now so that must improve.

I feel like I know what to expect on offense next year...but it will be how much the defense improves to decide if we will be back in BCS games and national championships.

:yeah

I would add that I think Cosgrove leaving would be a plus but not Callahan....thats a whole different topic though. I think the above comments are right on target.

Isn't BC's 3rd year only his 2nd recruiting year? We've recruited a lot of JUCO's but you also have to remember that generally there's a huge difference between a freshman and a senior. BC's freshman recruites won't be seniors until BC's 5th year in the program (that's why he has had to rely on JUCO recruiting so heavily). It takes 2/3 years to develop most of these kids. I think we've seen a lot of improvement and should continue to see significant improvement over the next 2 years. We've had a good year but need to start beating some of the upper teir teams (OK, USC, UT). Right now I think we're 2nd teir.

Callahan has this program on the right track. Like some of you have said a few plays here and there and we are looking at a 2 loss season so far. Recruits are starting to see waht hes doing here and he should be able to bring some top qb's very soon. I hope next year is even better but it all comes done again, to a new qb running this WCO. How quick can he pick it up in one year is the question.

Coz has his hands tied a little because he still doesn't have all the right players he needs yet, but he sure called a hell of a game against Okl. Husker offense mistakes lost this game. Defense set them up several times with good field position. Just one of those games were Taylor wasn't clicking, it happens to the best of them. Plays were there, lot of missed chances.

Jan 1st game can't complain about that.

GBR!!!