Problems running!!!!

I used to run quite a bit at my last assignment (was able to run 2 miles in 14:14 at Jump School) and the one thing I learned was to change up your running. Maybe one day go for a long slow run then change it up next time and run as fast as you can comfortably for as long as you can. We have to do a mile and a half run each year now so I'll start about 2 months before the test. I start out slow and easy working my way up to being able to run at least two and a half miles at about a 10 minute pace. Then I'll start throwing in a run where I may only run a mile but it'll be a 7 or 8 mile (or faster if my legs can handle it). You have to have endurance to run the distance (slow long run) and your lungs have to be able to handle the increased workload (faster pace). If you just run for distance and not worry about your pace, you'll have a harder time being able to run at a faster pace because your lungs won't be used to the increased speed.

Another thing I found that works well for me is to not concentrate on my running. I try to concentrate on something else. Sounds hokey but it's like getting into "the zone". If I can keep my mind on something else (music works great and as stupid as it sounds, I'll sing cadences to myself sometimes) it's easier for me to get into a rhythm than if I concentrate or think about how much farther I have to run.

Mix it up and you'll do just fine. 12:51 is about an 8 minute mile which isn't that bad really. :thumbs

Another thing that makes it more bearable. Get a MP3 player and an armband for it. Having music you like will make the time go faster.

I agree 100% music makes all the difference, other wise you end up focusing on the running. I am a runner, do it because I like it not because I have to. The most I've ever run in one go was 15 miles, working my way up to marathon distance.

The only thing other then music I would suggest is to just push yourself. If you're not use to running it will hurt, your lungs hurt, your legs hurt and you'll start to think you can't go any farther; but you can. Just pick a point off in the distance and keep going until you reach it and then once you've reached it do that again and again until your finished.

I'd say change your regiment from every other day to every day.

Working out is something that needs to be conditioned in your head. It needs to be like getting up and going to work every day. Just tell yourself that you HAVE to do it and then you'll get used to it just being a part of your everyday life.

Also, running everyday will help your body adjust faster and it won't be so hard to push yourself. Your body will be so acclimated to running that it will naturally want to push itself. Think of marathon runners or even the Huskers. Those guys work out pretty much everyday. I think I read something about Reggie Bush would do a morning cardio/light weights work out...then in the afternoon do more weights.

Imagine if you were in "Reggie Bush" shape...no criminal would be able to stand a chance ;)

Well the only type of workout that I used to do EVERYDAY was weight training and I can't do that again until Feb. 1st due to my shoulder surgery. I get shin splints if I start running everyday because it tends to overtrain my legs so that's why I run every other day. I don't want to start running with music (although I used to do that) because this department will not allow you to run with headphones on or listen to any type of music when you do the test..................yeah I know retarded!!!! Thanks for the tips..........I run again tomorrow so we'll see how that goes....... :thumbs

BRI-

Suggestions for you

1. find a place to run that has about 150 yards of an incline at about 4% grade, and run up and down this for 20+ minutes. this will increase your VO2 max (volume of oxygen getting from your lungs to your muscles) and increase endurance. your times will drop dramatically

2. run stairs if you cant find an incline to run. see above

3. train in the conditions you will be tested at. at least 2X week run the route you will be tested. it is different running 16 laps for 1.5 miles then it is running a straight line

4. if all of that fails, get the guy/girl from the bombs away picture in the woodshed and have it chase you with a sign that says "if i catch you i will f#*k you"

BRI-

Suggestions for you

1. find a place to run that has about 150 yards of an incline at about 4% grade, and run up and down this for 20+ minutes. this will increase your VO2 max (volume of oxygen getting from your lungs to your muscles) and increase endurance. your times will drop dramatically

2. run stairs if you cant find an incline to run. see above

3. train in the conditions you will be tested at. at least 2X week run the route you will be tested. it is different running 16 laps for 1.5 miles then it is running a straight line

4. if all of that fails, get the guy/girl from the bombs away picture in the woodshed and have it chase you with a sign that says "if i catch you i will f#*k you"

Thanks for the tips.................I'll be sure that I don't reach tip #4!!!! :lol:

When I am training for a race, be it a short 5k or a marathon, and i want to set a specific time, i will often mix in running on a treadmill to set a pace. When you run you naturally start to run slower when you get tired, but it doesn't feel like you are running slower, because you are progressively getting more tired. The treadmill neutralizes that, because it forces you to keep running at the same pace. That is why I like using a treadmill, occasionally. But you should still run outside to get used to the idea of running in the cold.

Based upon your comments, I suggest you run every other day, and alternate running outside and inside on a treadmill. When you run outside, run 2 to 3 miles, at a "comfortably fast" pace. You don't have a lot of time before you take the test, so you need to make the most of your training. Running 2 to 3 miles will give you a lot of stamina, and make running 1.5 miles seem easy. The other days you will run inside on the treadmill at just faster than your goal pace of 8:30 minutes per mile (you need to run 1.5 miles at just over an 8:30 minute per mile pace). Most treadmills set their speed by miles per hour -- an 8:30 minute mile is 7.0 miles per hour, so I suggest running at 7.1 miles per hour to give yourself a small cushion. Set the treadmill at 7.1 miles per hour and try to run for the complete 1.5 miles. If you can't do it at the start, fine, just try your hardest, and work up to 1.5 miles. After you can can run 1.5 miles at 7.1 miles per hour, start to add some incline to to the treadmill for half of the run (a very small amount of incline makes it significantly harder, so don't go crazy cranking up the incline). After you have done that a few times, see if you can run further than 1.5 miles at 7.1 miles per hour, with incline.

Based upon your comments, you should be able to do this easy. The other thing you need to remember is that you will have a lot of adrenalin coursing through your body on the day of the test, which will make it easier to run faster. The only trick to that is that you need to be careful not to run too fast at the start and then be too tired to keep running at the end. This is another reason why using the treadmill is a good idea, because it will give you a feel for what is the right pace. If you run enough, you "know" your pace without needing a watch.

Good luck. I'll be happy to answer any other specific questions you might have.

Thanks I appreciate your answer and I am already thinking about the treadmill idea because of exactly what you just said. It makes me run faster and I can't slow down..........I know I can run the mile and a half without stopping I just don't want the treadmill to become a "crutch" so to speak as in I am relying on it to make me run the mile and a half rather than me making myself run it.................I dug deep while I was in the police academy to run with shin splints in both legs and I wouldn't stop so I'm just going to have to man-up and dig deep and just plain want it!!!