What is your take on this guy??

How are these people getting drunk at games?

When I was in College, I'd fast the day before, drink some Everclear mixed with tequilla or Jack Daniels..Maybe a 12pack of Bud, before going to the game..Still I'd spend the whole game diagramming the next play in my head and wishing the people around me were a little less loud so I could concentrate, but appreciating their enthusiasm...And having a grudge match with my bladder to see who caves first.

Fast Forward ~20 years..

My wife surprised me by picking up a 12 of Beer so I can drink my 1st two beers since I don't know how long.

She says it was for the Conference Championship Game on TV, but I KNOW it was just so she could feel better about herself by getting carded. (37 going on 17).

It's been a long time since I saw a College game in person..Just never been a screamer..not even in bed.

And after reading about how the "Fans/Kids are these days" not sure I want to have drunks mistake me for a Bouncer and try to start something.

Although, it would be fun to teach my 5-yr old how to make fun of these people..Still..It would be a shame to loose our "Best Fans" status..Dang hair is turning white on the sides..Started growing my old "Freshman Beard" last week, and my wife joked about it being "Salty" ...not "Salt and Peppery"..Just "Salty"

Maybe if I can just squeeze my hands under my Butt..The swelling will go down in my fingers.

:hmmph

You're kidding right? If you haven't noticed the decending morals,character,honor, and discretion in the general population,and even more so in highschool and college age people,you must have your head in the sand. It seems like people cant do anything, or attend any event without getting totally drunk and wasted anymore.The degree of vulgarity with which people now comonly talk to each other, and the decending lack of respect people show for any level of authority in our society is unprecedented.Some of you, are highschool or college teachers and almost all of us know someone who is a teacher, so ask any teacher you know if they feel good about how young peoples values stack up with 10 or 20 years ago. People now go to fast food joints now, and then just throw the trash on the side of the road.I hear young kids talk crap to parents,teachers, and adults regularly, and parents put up with it.I've seen many folks on here talk about how the 'blue hairs' just sit on their hands, or dont cheer, but once those folks are all gone, an era of respect and honor will be gone with them. We as the next generation, and younger one that is following, are throwing away an oportunity to be the type of fans they were.No one can honestly say Nebraska's level of fan 'goodness' has not slipped in the last few years. It is a fact, and it is happening across the country.

I attended the game at Kansas City, where I attended the tailgates, and drank with everyone else. On the way home on Sunday,I told my college age kids,who I partied with on Saturday, that I would have loved to attend that exact game again, with everyone at the game totally sober.Wouldn't it be just as much fun? Without some of the indescretion?

You have a rose colored memory. It has ever been thus:

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for

authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place

of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their

households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They

contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties

at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

ATTRIBUTION: Attributed to SOCRATES by Plato,

Here's another one:

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on

frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond

words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and

respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise

[disrespectful] and impatient of restraint" (Hesiod, 8th century BC).

Sorry, friend, I think you have a distorted recollection of the way things used to be.

I am not so old as you perhaps, but then I can remember back into the 50s. I've attended NU games in the 70s and 80s. I recall LOTS of drinking and rowdiness. Yet they still earned the moniker "Best College Football Fans in the Country".

I am not the least bit pessimistic about the youth of this nation. They are smarter than we ever hoped to be. They wil take charge just fine. So let them enjoy the rowdiness of youth.

You have a rose colored memory. It has ever been thus:

Here's another one:

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on

frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond

words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and

respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise

[disrespectful] and impatient of restraint" (Hesiod, 8th century BC).

Sorry, friend, I think you have a distorted recollection of the way things used to be.

I am not so old as you perhaps, but then I can remember back into the 50s. I've attended NU games in the 70s and 80s. I recall LOTS of drinking and rowdiness. Yet they still earned the moniker "Best College Football Fans in the Country".

I am not the least bit pessimistic about the youth of this nation. They are smarter than we ever hoped to be. They wil take charge just fine. So let them enjoy the rowdiness of youth.

You're right.

I confess.

I tipped over a cow one night..(But I did apologize later).

I was pissed at the Husker fans who booed when OU came out. but OU fans did the same thing when the Huskers came out. it just wasn't as loud b/c Huskers had a bit of a crowd majority.

It doesn't make it right, its just that this writer only mentions Husker fans doing this when it went both ways.

As for trash talking. the guy probably heard 1 or 2 idiots and makes it sound like every Husker fan was doing this. The only trash talkers near my seats happened to be a couple OU fans, but i'm not going to write to the OWH trashing every OU fan that was at the game.

as for outside the stadium. i didn't notice trash in the parking lots but then again i had most of my face covered from the cold so i'm not exactly a good witness to that.

great find, i haven't seen that in years. I first heard of this quote from one of my teachers in high school. amazing all these few years later, it still applies... ;)

and there's no doubt that some day, today's youth will say the SAME thing about their kids. :madash

It's a college football game. Folks need to get over it. First of all, I want to know what the dude who wrote to the OWH was doing showing up to the game only 20 minutes before kickoff.

But if you're going to allow and entire stadium of people (80,000+) to tailgate in sub-freezing weather for a full 5 hours, there's no question that the place is going to get trashed. And people are probably going to get drunk so they don't feel so freaking cold. Does that mean that every fan was wasted and just threw their stuff wherever they wanted? NO it doesn't.

I was there and partied all day long and while there was some good natured ribbing between the NU and OU fans, it wasn't out of hand at all.

Folks need to realize that booze and college football are pretty much inseparable. That's why the alumni pay gobs of money to park their RVs next to the stadium every Saturday. That's the way its been for decades. If you're going to get all hot and bothered by it then I guess that's your problem. But it's not like Nebraska's fans, or fans in general, suddenly became a bunch of intolerable drunks. There's just a lot of self-righteous old balls out there who don't have anything better to do than complain.

I tell ya as an Auburn fan you are going to see a lot of bad stuff in all venues these days. I remember some when I was young going to games as well. One thing we have to remember is that like me, a lot of parents take their young children to experience the thrill of a big time college game. Sometimes when you sit near drunk college students, it's embarassing the language these students use in front of young kids. I agree, it's a football game. I have taught my kids how to boo opposing teams and the normal stuff. But to hear college students yell death threats, flat out cuss out opposing players and coaches is a bit out of line. I do expect that from LSU fans. LOL I never took my kids to Baton Rouge. lol I'm a pretty big guy and often think would they talk as tough if i could suit them up in pads and let them get their butts pounded by me. LOL I don;t think so. lol As a college student I drank too and partied. But I had the mindset to watch how I talked around kids especially at games. I am sure most do. Just a few bad apples really stand out in a crowd and give us all bad impressions. The main thing is have fun and yell your butt off for your team. And sure booooo the heck out of Auburn when we run on the field. It's all part of the game. We'll be booing them Cornhuskers as well. But in the end, we still respect the heck out of you guys. And don't want to see any player get injured from either team. They are just talented kids who represent their respective schools on a big stage for us to enjoy.

WARRRRR EAGLE!!!!

Who really cares what a bunch of ole blue hairs think anyways! Hell I have heard they scream at you for standing up and cheering anyways. Sounds like they need to pack it in and release their season tickets once and for all!

I think you just proved the point that respect seems to be slipping. Your post about ole blue hairs was uncalled for. Standing up and cheering is great....its those who continue to stand for no reason at all and show little care or respect for those sitting behind them. No, I am not a "ole blue hair" but I am old enough to show a bit of respect where respect is due....like my parents taught me.

Alot of the bad things that happen at games and what is yelled is contributed to the mob factor. One person would not normally do those things if they were by themselves, but since they are around and with 80,000 other people they go ahead and do that stuff in beliefs that they most likely will get away with it. The things that they do are just enhanced several times with the use of alcohol.

Who really cares what a bunch of ole blue hairs think anyways! Hell I have heard they scream at you for standing up and cheering anyways. Sounds like they need to pack it in and release their season tickets once and for all!

I think you just proved the point that respect seems to be slipping. Your post about ole blue hairs was uncalled for. Standing up and cheering is great....its those who continue to stand for no reason at all and show little care or respect for those sitting behind them. No, I am not a "ole blue hair" but I am old enough to show a bit of respect where respect is due....like my parents taught me.

Are you supposed to be sitting at a football game?? I mean, these "bluehairs" like to throw their weight around at MS just because they have been season ticket holders since Elvis was growing pubes.

Are you supposed to be sitting at a football game?? I mean, these "bluehairs" like to throw their weight around at MS just because they have been season ticket holders since Elvis was growing pubes.

Usually I roll my eyes at you Axl, but that is f' ing funny. :lol:

Being alot older than most of you I see it both ways. I try to stand as much as I can and normally end up being on my feet 90% of the time. But consider the fact that many can not stand that long. You will all feel the rath of father time.

My grandfather was a big Nebraska fan, donated a lot of money to the Univeristy. His name is on the wall. In his later years he still came to the games just like he did when he was your age and graduated from Nebraska. He loved this state and Nebraska football. His dedication to the program and the youth of this state in my mind is unsurpassed. He could not stand and watch the game, but in the cold, wind or rain he came to the games. He wanted to see them play the game he loved and supported. Is it fair to take that away from him. Be considerate of your surrroundings. Sometimes we do not see the whole picture when we are young. Without these die in the wool blue hairs, you would not have the proud tradition or the facilities that you do. There would be no winning streak like the ones we have had. With out their effort and money to support this program, it would not exist. The old Blue Hairs are Nebraska football, the ones that have passed on and the ones that are still supporting it give you the opportunity to use what they have paid for.

Usually I roll my eyes at you Axl, but that is f' ing funny. :lol:

:cheers

Being alot older than most of you I see it both ways. I try to stand as much as I can and normally end up being on my feet 90% of the time. But consider the fact that many can not stand that long. You will all feel the rath of father time.

My grandfather was a big Nebraska fan, donated a lot of money to the Univeristy. His name is on the wall. In his later years he still came to the games just like he did when he was your age and graduated from Nebraska. He loved this state and Nebraska football. His dedication to the program and the youth of this state in my mind is unsurpassed. He could not stand and watch the game, but in the cold, wind or rain he came to the games. He wanted to see them play the game he loved and supported. Is it fair to take that away from him. Be considerate of your surrroundings. Sometimes we do not see the whole picture when we are young. Without these die in the wool blue hairs, you would not have the proud tradition or the facilities that you do. There would be no winning streak like the ones we have had. With out their effort and money to support this program, it would not exist. The old Blue Hairs are Nebraska football, the ones that have passed on and the ones that are still supporting it give you the opportunity to use what they have paid for.

Very well said...........

Great post!

But if I ever go to see us play Kansas, I'll probably have to shave my blue Face-pubes.

Wouldn't want the Sea of Red to have any blue tinge to it and have it mistaken for a few Kansas fans.