Recruiting in NE??

According to Rivals : Link

We have only recruited 2 nebraskans? wtf is up with that? Looking at 2008 we already have two commits for that class from NE.

Personally, I think that the staff needs to get at least 5-6 players from NE each year, there are plenty of talented players out there.

No offense, but I think you are giving talent in Nebraska too much credit. Compared to players in places like California, Florida, and Texas Nebraska players overall just don't stack up. I see a lot of football each year because I ref varsity football, and is Nebraska football horrible... no, but it also isn't up to the quality of putting out a lot of major DI talent. If you want Nebraska to compete at the national level year in and out it is highly unlikly that they can offer 5-6 scholarships to Nebraska players each year. Do you realize that right now we have 20 commits, can you image if 1/4 of those were Nebraska players???

The 2007 class from NE just isnt that strong. Niles Paul and Jared Crick get us the #1 and #4 players in the state. We dont want players just becuase they are from nebraska. We want players becuase they are the best. In cases like Niles Paul, he is one of the best. And Crick looks like he has potenial.

The rest in the rivals top 5 are Philip Bates, who is off to ISU to play QB. We didnt want him as a QB. Gunn is going to miami. Beyond those top 4 though there is a big drop.

I wouldnt worry about it. BC and company know what they are doing with recruiting. If this year is kind of thin from NE then so be it. We look like next year will make up for it.

Get what's out there but don't over recruit like Franky then you you start getting those 50-60 ranked recruiting classes.

Typically there might be 3-4 worth getting but I say pound the streets in Texas, California, and Florida.

Let Iowa State have the 2 star recruits out of NE

Kind of ironic that Solich did recruit Nebraska guys, but turned down a big one; Danny Woodhead. I totally believe he would have made it as a Husker.

The 2007 class from NE just isnt that strong. Niles Paul and Jared Crick get us the #1 and #4 players in the state. We dont want players just becuase they are from nebraska. We want players becuase they are the best. In cases like Niles Paul, he is one of the best. And Crick looks like he has potenial.

The rest in the rivals top 5 are Philip Bates, who is off to ISU to play QB. We didnt want him as a QB. Gunn is going to miami. Beyond those top 4 though there is a big drop.

I wouldnt worry about it. BC and company know what they are doing with recruiting. If this year is kind of thin from NE then so be it. We look like next year will make up for it.

Couldn't have said it better myself............

I think 4-5 Juniors already hold offers.

I don't think there is any way you can put a number on how many In-State kids you take. Some years there aren't that many. We went after a couple more but they want to go else where. So does that mean we should take kids that aren't as good as others just because they are Nebraska kids? I say NO.

Exactly.

NU will offer the top kids in NU every year. Unless, of course, if it's at a position like QB and the guy doesn't play the style.

The idea that you take kids in state on scholarship just because they are from NU. If they wanna walk on, go for it.

No way Woodhead would have been an every down back for us, and appearently no other D1 coach thought so either.Enjoy that he was the best at his level, but dont overstate his potential.He didn't have a D1 body,that is not our fault.

Doesn't have a D1 body? That's a good point! :sarcasm

Woodhead is listed at 5-9, 200.

Looking at the top 20 rushers in Division I we find:

Garrret Wolfe (N. Illinois) 5-7, 177

Steve Slaton (West Virginia) 5-10, 185

Ray Rice (Rutgers) 5-9, 195

Mike Hart (Michigan) 5-9, 196

Damion Fletcher (So. Miss) 5-10, 176

Yvenson Bernard (Oregon St) 5-9, 203

Woodhead will have to be content to break every all-college record before getting his chance at the next level.

The D1 coaches don't get it right on every player either. The NFL is full of players that didn't play D1. Two extreme examples were Jerry Rice and Walter Payton. Some current players from small schools: Dominic Rhodes, Terrell Owens, Tony Romo, Rod Smith, Michael Strahan, Jon Kitna, and Joe Horn.