Solich is OUT

6 hours ago, Corn55 said:

Yeah, I forgot about that. That was in 2012.

However, that’s the only real thing of note Solich has accomplished in 16 years at Ohio. He hasn’t come even close to dominating the MAC, which is the one of the two worst conferences in FBS. (The other being the Sun Belt.)

Yea. He definitely hasn't dominated in that conference.

• Plus1 1

On 1/14/2021 at 6:31 PM, Corn55 said:

I think the Solich firing was justified and really should have been done after 2002. The lack of success of his successors is frankly completely unrelated to whether Solich’s firing was justified. 

The guy ended up at Ohio U after he was fired at Nebraska, and I’m not aware of him even getting consideration for a higher profile job. For all fans of other teams critics Nebraska for the Solich firing, it is odd how none of them were willing to hire Solich or seemingly even consider him. And Solich’s tenure at Ohio has been solid but nothing really that spectacular. He never has won the MAC, has only 2 MAC East titles, never has finished with less than 4 losses (not counting this year’s 2-1 season) and has never beaten a Power 5 team other than a 1-11 Kansas team.

Everything indicates the dude is a MAC-level coach.

Few things to note... he also beat a Kansas team that was 2-10, they also beat Penn State and Pittsburgh. He’s seven wins away from being Ohio’s all time winningest coach, led them to their first bowl game win, they’ve gone to bowl games 10 out of the last 11 years, including five in a row while winning the last three (bowl game stats do not include 2020). Oddly enough the last time Solich won a CCG, so did Nebraska. 

He’s been a nice little coaching hire for Ohio. Not great but extremely solid as stated. Just didn’t appreciate the negative context everything else was put in. Nobody will ever truly know if it would’ve worked out for Solich here at Nebraska. The odds were certainly stacked against him.

He was 42-9 before that 7-7 season in 2002. They had a nice bounce back year going 10-3 in 2003. Why was firing him justifiable in 2002? Because of one poor season compared to the success of his predecessors? 

• Plus1 2

IIRC, didn’t Solich get looks early on during his tenure at Ohio, but he stayed at Ohio because his family’s from Ohio and one of his parents wasn’t doing too well (and later passed on)?

I mean, I get that we’re all about dredging up the past because we’re in off-season again, but I remember there being interest for Solich early on by schools—it’s just after he kept passing on the offers, they stopped coming in. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

IIRC, didn’t Solich get looks early on during his tenure at Ohio, but he stayed at Ohio because his family’s from Ohio and one of his parents wasn’t doing too well (and later passed on)?

I mean, I get that we’re all about dredging up the past because we’re in off-season again, but I remember there being interest for Solich early on by schools—it’s just after he kept passing on the offers, they stopped coming in. 

Link, because I don’t remember Solich getting consideration (let alone offers)  from power conference teams at all.

I have a very hard time imagining anybody turning down overtures from power conference teams to stay at Ohio U. 

Career after leaving Nebraska 

Frank Solich- MAC head coach, nothing particularly exceptional

Bill Callahan- NFL offensive line coach for 10 years, offensive coordinator for 3 years 

Bo Pelini- FCS head coach, was about to get fired from that job before becoming LSU defensive coordinator. Got fired as LSU defensive coordinator after just one year.

Mike Riley- Unemployed

Scott Frost- Doubt he’ll do well in the job market after he gets fired. He certainly shouldn’t, since he’s the worst coach yet.

• Haha 4
17 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

He actually did get a chance.....

17 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

He actually did get a chance.....

Did he really. He just brought in Bo, who at the time might have been one of the best D coaches. 

Just had a ten win season. You don't think he should have had time, to get some new coaches, who would be willing to go on the road, to recruit. He had some that couldn't.

Not saying he would have gone on to greatness, but we sure haven't had any better luck with anyone else, in the last 19yrs.

Frost is getting the time to build the program. He probably will, but if Pederson were still screwing up the program, would Frost still be here ?

GBR!!!

11 hours ago, Nebraska325 said:

Career after leaving Nebraska 

Frank Solich- MAC head coach, nothing particularly exceptional

Bill Callahan- NFL offensive line coach for 10 years, offensive coordinator for 3 years 

Bo Pelini- FCS head coach, was about to get fired from that job before becoming LSU defensive coordinator. Got fired as LSU defensive coordinator after just one year.

Mike Riley- Unemployed

Scott Frost- Doubt he’ll do well in the job market after he gets fired. He certainly shouldn’t, since he’s the worst coach yet.

The Callahan hire is always so weird and I wonder if he had just been a little more flexible when cutting bait on assistant coaches if he would've worked here.  I mean, he's arguably the best O-Line coach in the NFL and is probably on a short list for best O-Line coaches in the past 50 years.  You'd think that at Nebraska, Nebraska! of all places a stud O-Line HC would be a match made in heaven.  Alas, it was not meant to be.

32 minutes ago, huskered17 said:

Did he really. He just brought in Bo, who at the time might have been one of the best D coaches. 

Just had a ten win season. You don't think he should have had time, to get some new coaches, who would be willing to go on the road, to recruit. He had some that couldn't.

The 10 win season was mostly a mirage.  It was actually only 9 wins for Frank because Bo won the 10th in the bowl game.  Frank only beat two teams that finished with a winning record and got blown out in the three losses.

1 hour ago, huskered17 said:

Did he really.

Yes he did. The fact that we are even having this discussion is because he inherited a top 10 program and was unable to keep them in the top ten. You indicated he never got a chance to keep the program at its place as a top 10 program.. I am saying that he absolutely did. He inherited that program and was proven unable to keep it at that level.