Solich is OUT

"It's a sad day for Nebraska football, and it's a sad day for Nebraska," Solich's son-in-law, Jon Dalton of Lincoln, said. "(Pederson) doesn’t like Frank and wanted to get rid of him from the beginning. "We’d like the sheep skin to come off Pederson’s back and let everyone know -- he’s a wolf."

This was a quote from the Journal Star website.

There are also other items along these lines that I have heard. Many disturbing things:

*Solich was given the news over a 5 minute meeting. This tells you a few things, either Solich new this was coming and this meeting was just kind of a "professional" thing that has to be done. Or Pederson despises him so much he wanted him to feel quite worthless and demean him as much as possible. You wonder if they had problems dating back to Pederson's first stint here when he was working with recruiting.

*I heard Solich's daughter speak on KM 3news around 10:15pm and she was, obviously, quite upset, but she made some powerful remarks about Pederson. Quite similar to Solich's other family member above, assuming this is her husband above. Solich apparently recieved a very nasty letter from Pederson before the season began. Didn't get exectly what it was about, but something along the lines of "you better win" or "don't worry your gone at the end the year." Also and here is the kicker. Solich attempted to contact Pederson a couple days ago (and quite possible the douche bag move of the year) Pederson's people responded with "the only way to contact Mr. Pederson is through email. Imagine your boss telling you this. There is certainly something else behind all of this. This feud has been going on for a while. Pederson hated Solich.....Solich had the balls and guts to act like nothing was going on to help his players stay focused.

*Pelini is going to be given the reigns for the upcoming bowl game. This is probably goinhg to be Pelini's test drive to see if he can be a head coach.

*I also have to feel for the assisstant coaches. Before last season, again this is according to Solich's interview on km 3 news, the assisstants were asked to sign 1 and 1/2 year contracts. Now I don't know whether they signed them or were ever offered, but if it is true Pederson truly is a scumbag and he did in fact know all along that he wanted Solich out and it would follow the personality of Pederson. Every since he came here he has been firing people and tightening the reigns on everything.

*Many of the boosters have said they are still going to write checkes to the new facility upgrade project, whether Solich is there or not.

*Some of the recruits are saying they will still most likely come, but this is also after a week of the coaches calling all these recruits up and telling them everything is all right. Now Nebraska will surely look like a bunch of liars. Ex. anyone else in the NCAA.

*Some of the coaches that are being considered as of now are Pelini and the guy from Pittsburgh. I wonder if the entire staff will be gone??? That would be absolutly crushing. I really like the new staff. I like the smash mouth offense. That is Nebraska. I don't want to see pass, pass, pass out of the BIG RED. If someone close to the family isn't chosen and the many of these coaches are gone, Nebraska could be in some serious trouble. three, four, maybe five years before we have a winning record. I wonder if Gill is going to be considered.

*I loved the family atmoshere and especially all the new coaches. They seem to fit so well. All (except Pelini) had Nebraska ties. All new the situation. I really enjoyed them this year. And now..........now it could be all over.

This is a dispicable move. I rather be 10-3 and have that family, long standing tradition going. It just doesn't feel the same. We are now just another college football program in it for the buisness. We are just another SEC school that hides and makes moves behind the others back and listens to its boosters instead of the fans. Maybe my feelings will change after I hear everyones side, but I'll be hard pressed. The one thing now we can do is hope and pray all the assisstant coaches get to stay.

Stick together fellow Huskers. It's going to get worse before better

Eric "the Red"

ps reports all day tomorrow-----stay here..www.huskerboard.com

Pederson has made a huge mistake in my opinion. I don't think too highly of him right now, especially after he said he would not talk about this situation until the season was over. We still have one game to play here, folks: our bowl game. I think it was pretty rotten of him to do this when there is one more game left in the season, but then again, from the looks of things, Pederson has had it in for Solich since he rode in here on his white horse.

Frank Solich has given nearly 30 years of his life for this program, and it all ends with a five minute meeting? What a slap in the face to a man that has practically the same record as Osborne did in his first few years of coaching. Just because you've got a couple of whiny fans running around saying they want Solich out is a lame excuse to fire such a dedicated individual. Any other coach in the nation who had a 9-3 regular season record would feel pretty darn secure in his position, yet here we have a winning coach who is out of a job.

What really gets me is that now Pederson is probably going to ignore the assistants who have been with the program for a considerable amount of time, and go with one of his cronies from Pitt -- Walt Harris? (Click here to go to omaha.com and read about it). So we end up with a guy who doesn't even know Nebraska tradition and what this program means not only to football but to the people of this state? Makes me sick!!!

All this at a time when Pederson is asking for us to donate to his little multi-million dollar north stadium project. Hmmph.

Good bye Frank Solich, I will miss you dearly and I wish you all the luck in the world.

Guest Powercat Mark

Although I am a K-State grad and a faithful wildcat booster, no one in the Big 12 would expect a big time program like Nebraska to 'fumble' like this. Solich took over a program that was far from perfect, and has had a few slips. At what point does Steve Pederson believe a coach has shown what he is capable of doing? There isn't a coach in the NCAA that would support this decision, and I'm curious what type of individual Nebraska will get to come into this firestorm, knowing that if he can't produce two national championships in 5 years, he's out. Pederson has shown himself to be a classless individual who treated a long-term coach and a man who has given his life to Nebraska football, like a pair of old shoes. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME on the administration for allowing this to happen. Perhaps he should have gone back to recruiting from the list of arrest warrants and criminal prosecutions. As someone who really dislikes Nebraska football, I have to give credit to Frank Solich for realizing that there is more to coaching than playing for a BCS bowl every year. Last comment--before you embarrass the entire Big 12, lose Pederson. Proud to be a Wildcat!!

:angry: absolutely disgusting. and we thought it was bad w/ Mr Byrnes and smithers around. when he went to A&M I was relieved.....................

now this. Now I feel like a fan of a "professional" team, although this move was the antithesis of "pro".

my god. I dont know how many Husker fans we will "lose" from this, b/c our roots go much deeper than one fuk like Pederwacker, but I'll tell you one thing, like Eric said, we were known for being that team that maintained integrity over greed, and all that. Many of our fans became fans simply b/c of those morals which we stood by. No more. So expect to lose many potential fans b/c of this. Not to mention recruits, like Nzone said we just lost DT Mcdowell b/c of the move, the super phenom of a QB that couldve replaced Frazier in the books.

And like those other posters said, who the hell wants to come to a place where it's "win 11 or else". It feels like the Chicago Bulls right now. very disappointing and embarassing.

I do agree that peder must have had it in for him from the beg. B/c why wouldnt they have just canned him last year?! whata scumbag. You know he told his handjob of a buddy in Pitt that he'd have him a job in 2 years. I think he has to be the frontrunner. He is pederdicks "guy". pedercok brought him in to save Pitt, and pederjohnson got all the cred. This jerkoff is a power hungry POS and he wants nothing more than to be known as "the guy" that brought in "the guy" to save the program. even if Solich couldve done the same thing, in LESS time.

We lose SO much institutional knowledge here. very sad day for Husker Nation. Guys, we just took a 5 year step in the wrong direction. And did anybody stop to think about our 2nd greatest loss to the program, and one which may have even bigger implications? Thats right. Dr. Tom Osborne. He can not be happy with this move. This is a slap in the face to the Great One. And if he continued to support the program, at least openly, he would be viewed as "endorsing" the move.

Huge loss. Keep us posted Eric or anyone else that has the latest.

GBR

brm :(

*Also. Heard that Gill is probably gone too.  What a mess.

I don't see this as being all bad. I don't know why he couldn't transform Lord into

a better quarterback over the five years he was there. Most if not all the of QB's of

recent years had so much natural talent, coaching wasn't difficult. Lord has

physical running ability, but I would have expected a better passer, at least

mechanically, after five years of good coaching.

As for the rest of the situation.....

I didn't think Solich should should be fired when I heard the rumors start to circulate.

I would have given him through 2005 to get a large group over very good players

to the university. I guess Pederson saw that as wasted time.

He had to say something with all the controversy swirling due to the Journal Star's

article, which was absolutely horrible and goes to show the level of journalism that

is acceptable in that rinky dink paper. It would be horrible for the team and the

rest of the coaching staff to have that still hanging over their head for the bowl

game. In my eyes, something had to be said because the controversy had simply

gone out of control.

It's hard to say if this will be a good move in the long run but it doesn't help

badmouthing everyone in the administration in the mean time. What's done is done

and if Pederson did make a bad move, he will get his eventually. If not, people will

be praising him. Look for big time rumors to start spreading about Pederson from

the people who are upset about this. In the end, they are no better than the Star.

It is obvious why a lot of people are upset about it. Most people who post on this

board, including me, have never lived through the firing of a head coach an NU.

Change is frightening for anyone, especially when you think the change is for the

worse. The firing of a head coach is something that just doesn't happen around

here. Thus the vehement feedback by some.

Honestly, I was satisfied with the performance this year and was looking forward

to what the team will look like next year. Now it's kind of up in the air again. Although

I would have thought that six years under Solich would have shown better

recruiting classes by now. Don't get me wrong, we have some excellent players on

the team. But none at the level of people like Tommie Frazier or Eric Crouch.

Husker fans have been pissing me off more lately than any member of the

administration. Everyone thinks they know whats best. They want to win every

game but they don't want to see the "family" broken up. I guarantee this will be all

forgotten if a new coach can come in and go undefeated. These types of fans

make me want to vomit.

GO HUSKERS! :D

You never know if some of this change can actually change for the better. Whomever is given the job, even if it is Pelini will be bringing in their recruits that they had been recruiting. We may have lost a few recruits because SOlich is leaving, but the new head coach has made relations with recruits where ever he is at and would most likely be able to sway them toward NU. It happened last year. With all the new assistants. They mangaed to get a few to NU.

Change is something that Nebraskans aren't used to. This goes way beyond football. Look at thier small towns. Anytime something new is being considered people will shy away. Now I'm not saying this is right or wrong, but if NU wins in a year or two we will forget all about this. Maybe, just maybe Pederson is right. Frank was a great person who did his best at coaching, but didn't excel. Pederson wants someone who excels at coaching.

I think the one thing that everyone is angery about is the way the story leaked out.

Eric "the Red"

I think Pederson is a liar! The leaked story had to originate from him, yet he still denies talking about it with anyone but the chancellor? I am unhappy that Frank is gone but I am more concerned about what appears to be a classless, sneaky liar of an AD. The way this was handled was a disgrace to the program, Steve Pederson should be the person removed - I don't care how much we win or lose in the next couple of years he clearly does not have the integrity or class necessary to be the Husker AD.

In my mind this absolves the journalstar; they did their job and reported on what they knew to be the truth. The leak had to originate from the AD yet he denies it. Solich may have ended certain streaks but it appears the AD is stripping the program of its most important traditions, class and integrity.

Well, according to Perlman he knows who he alleged "anonymous" boosters are, and that it was just some ploy by them to make Pederson look like he couldn't make a solid decision, and to undermine his credibility. Whatever.

The ones I feel most sorry for are the players. I think it was horrible for some of them to have to find out on ESPN and wherever. They should have been told properly. What can you do though....too late now.

I think Pederson is a liar!  The leaked story had to originate from him, yet he still denies talking about it with anyone but the chancellor?  I am unhappy that Frank is gone but I am more concerned about what appears to be a classless, sneaky liar of an AD.  The way this was handled was a disgrace to the program, Steve Pederson should be the person removed - I don't care how much we win or lose in the next couple of years he clearly does not have the integrity or class necessary to be the Husker AD.

In my mind this absolves the journalstar; they did their job and reported on what they knew to be the truth.  The leak had to originate from the AD yet he denies it.  Solich may have ended certain streaks but it appears the AD is stripping the program of its most important traditions, class and integrity.

BS.

As a journalist, how can you site an anonymous source? Why don't you just say

"...a little birdie told me..."? Why not? Because then even the gullible people would

get suspicious.

One theory I have on how one could come up with a story like this is that he

did do what the Star said at Pittsburgh when he was there. He gave the head

coach another job while hiring a new head coach. Substitute some names and

there you have it, a "story". That's not to far of a stretch in my mind.

DaveH, sources are often refered as "anonymous", b/c their story is based on this condition. not saying i know they were legit, jus saying it is possible for an anon source to exist. and the outcome was way too similar. and huskerred pedersen said he woudnt comment until the end of the season, well it was technicaly over after the cu game. this is actually standard for making coaching changes, remember last year. i dont agree w the change, but woudnt have wanted him to wait any longer. he wudve made the move w or w-out the journal.

rc

hey SourCAT, as much as i hated the press conference, the one redeeming part was the fact that he didnt even acknowledge KSU as a legitimate Big 12 power :lol: He only referenced tx and ou as our competition. this is for good reason. you are not and will not be a rival until you have tradition. you wont have tradition until you have a history of excellence, not just what you have lately. too funny. very nice burn!! :D

DaveH, sources are often refered as "anonymous", b/c their story is based on this condition. not saying i know they were legit, jus saying it is possible for an anon source to exist. and the outcome was way too similar. rc

Yea, it is possible, I just think it's BS :) I just don't like the idea of an anonymous

source.

• 17 years later...