Nebraska will take up to 32 commits this year.

Fife

I have recently heard from a reliable source that Nebraska will take up to 32 recruits this year. Of those 32 we will have up to 3 greyshirts. The possible greyshirt candidates are Demetrious Davis, Jared Crick, and LaTravis Washington. There will also be players leaving in the offseason freeing up more scholarships making it possible to take so many recruits.

Interesting.....

This makes me wonder though, would LaTravis be OK with grey shirting, because he was pretty highly touted, some big schools wanted him... I could see Crick being willing to do it, just because he is a born and raised husker.

Also, I really want to find out who may be transferring, because at this point i doubt it is anyone leaving early for the draft....

I can't see us taking 32 recruits this year. Also, the transfering players would have to say that they are leaving and be granted their release from the University before we could actually bring in a recruit to fill his place. A team cannot go over in hopes of players transfering or quiting. However, we could use some scholarships on players that already quit from last year. Dontrell Moore, Harrison Beck, and Grant Mulkey to name a few. Though I don't know how all this works. But I do know that we can't go over trying to be safe with transfers and quitters.

what exactly is a grey shirt? does the player have to pay his own way the first year?

if that is the case do the out of state players then have to pay out of state tuition rates? then that would be a huge cost for Washington.

Now if his cousin paid for his tuition would that be a NCAA violation?

what exactly is a grey shirt? does the player have to pay his own way the first year?

if that is the case do the out of state players then have to pay out of state tuition rates? then that would be a huge cost for Washington.

Yes a greyshirt is the player paying their way with the promise of a scholarship their second or third year.

I'm fairly certain that non-Nebraska residents would pay the out of state tuition.

Good question about who plays the tuition. I wouldn't think it would be a violation if his cousin Fabian did pay for him.

Yes a greyshirt is the player paying their way with the promise of a scholarship their second or third year.

I'm fairly certain that non-Nebraska residents would pay the out of state tuition.

Good question about who plays the tuition. I wouldn't think it would be a violation if his cousin Fabian did pay for him.

So long as his cousin is not identified as a representative of the institution, then yes, he can pay for the tuition without any repercussions.

So long as his cousin is not identified as a representative of the institution, then yes, he can pay for the tuition without any repercussions.

but since Fabian played for NU would he be considered a representitive of the University?

but since Fabian played for NU would he be considered a representitive of the University?

I don't think so. The NCAA By-Laws at 13.02.13 defines a representative of athletics interest as follows:

13.02.13 Representative of Athletics Interests

A "representative of the institution's athletics interests" is an individual, independent agency, corporate entity (e.g., apparel or equipment manufacturer) or other organization who is known (or who should have been known) by a member of the institution's executive or athletics administration to: (Revised: 2/16/00)

a. Have participated in or to be a member of an agency or organization promoting the institution's intercollegiate athletics program;

b. Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution;

c. Be assisting or to have been requested (by the athletics department staff) to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes;

d. Be assisting or to have assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families; or

e. Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution's athletics program.

Since he is family it would be OK. It isn't much different than Makovica paying his own way (obviously someone is helping him out).

I would hope that if they do ask Washington to grayshirt it would have been the idea of Fabian in the first place (which I doubt that would happen).

This guy was recruited by some big time places and should get his scholarship if he wants it.

If we have to force people to grayshirt we shouldn't take their commitment in the first place, unless they knew they would have to grayshirt. I am not a fan of just springing this on someone for the betterment of the team.

• 9 months later...

Since he is family it would be OK. It isn't much different than Makovica paying his own way (obviously someone is helping him out).

Fullback Family Tree

Justin Makovicka, the younger brother of former Husker snot-knockers Jeff and Joel, has accepted an offer to join the Huskers football team as a preferred walk-on. Justin reportedly turned down a scholarship offer from Iowa State to attend Nebraska.

This makes me happy, as it hints that maybe that old Nebraska lore still has some sway with kids in the Cornhusker state. Jeff and Joel both walked-on at Nebraska and walked away with National Titles, let's hope Justin can do the same. While I'm ecstatic that Justin continued the legacy of big farm boys from Brainard in the backfield, I hope he knows that his chances of busting a 37-yard touchdown up the middle on the option are long gone. A quick check of Huskerpedia.com shows that last year's starting fullback, Dane Todd, had exactly 0 carries but 8 receptions as part of the West Coast Offense.

No word yet on Bill Calahan's appeal to the NCAA for extended eligibility for Jeff and Joel under the oft-forgotten Brothers Hanson Exemption which states: Should any three (3) brothers play the same position at the same school within a 15 year period, all three (3) shall be allowed on the roster regardless of amateur status, physical shape or eligibility.

In a shocking concession, Calahan has reportedly said that if the exemption is granted he will stop throwing the ball from the 1-yard line on 1st and Goal, a sure sign of offensive coordinating prowess, and opt for an all-Makovicka wishbone formation in short yardage situations.

:clap

• 2 weeks later...

Fullback Family Tree

Justin Makovicka, the younger brother of former Husker snot-knockers Jeff and Joel, has accepted an offer to join the Huskers football team as a preferred walk-on. Justin reportedly turned down a scholarship offer from Iowa State to attend Nebraska.

This makes me happy, as it hints that maybe that old Nebraska lore still has some sway with kids in the Cornhusker state. Jeff and Joel both walked-on at Nebraska and walked away with National Titles, let's hope Justin can do the same. While I'm ecstatic that Justin continued the legacy of big farm boys from Brainard in the backfield, I hope he knows that his chances of busting a 37-yard touchdown up the middle on the option are long gone. A quick check of Huskerpedia.com shows that last year's starting fullback, Dane Todd, had exactly 0 carries but 8 receptions as part of the West Coast Offense.

No word yet on Bill Calahan's appeal to the NCAA for extended eligibility for Jeff and Joel under the oft-forgotten Brothers Hanson Exemption which states: Should any three (3) brothers play the same position at the same school within a 15 year period, all three (3) shall be allowed on the roster regardless of amateur status, physical shape or eligibility.

In a shocking concession, Calahan has reportedly said that if the exemption is granted he will stop throwing the ball from the 1-yard line on 1st and Goal, a sure sign of offensive coordinating prowess, and opt for an all-Makovicka wishbone formation in short yardage situations.

:clap

There's a fourth Makovicka brother (Jordan) that may walk on as part of the 2008 class. He does appear to be smaller than all his other brothers (5-10, 170) and is tabbed as a free safety or DB. He likely will break the FB tradition for the brothers.