Ocean vs Freshwater fishing

There is a special rig and brace that you almost sit in to hold you and the reel. Almost all the reels used are a 2 speed and special line and leader material. I've never actually been out where the cows were being caught. I caught a 45lb. yellowfin on 12lb test mono and it took me almost an hour to get it gaffed and in the boat. Seriously kicked my butt and I was a lot younger then. :D But the guys using heavier line weren't getting many bites cause the fish get shy of taking bait when they can see the line. Mostly used 4-6 inch anchovy or sardines for bait.

On the trips that go way south into Mexico; the cost can go well over $1500 depending on the amount of days you are out and whether you travel with the boat or fly down and meet them.

• 2 weeks later...

i prefer salt water fishing... well one because I'm surrounded by water so many kinds you can do here...

1. coastal fishing on the inside/just outside reefs

2. deep sea (you don't have to go very far out)

3. shorecasting

4. three prong for tako (octopus)

but ill say having a boat sucks at times... plus the fresh water ways have it a lot easier in terms of care... i spend half the time soaping and washing everything down from the ocean water than i do actually fishing in the ocean..... you sh#t last a lot longer in fresh water... boats in hawaii are expensive... if i lived near a lake or whatever i wouldn't need a monster boat... plus hawaiian waters get rough... so if your non commercial but serious most guys have id say 19-25.... id like to get myself a 17 footer doe.....