Ocean vs Freshwater fishing

I enjoy both , but there is nothing like trolling for the big boys in salt water. Whole different ballgame. Even coastal fishing for Tarpon , red fish and snook is better than any bass or trout fishing I have ever done. Pound for pound , salt water fish are just better fighters.

I've fished a little in the gulf of mexico and caught some King Mackeral those damn things put up a good fight. I have to say though there is a farm pond about 45 minutes outside of Des Moines that is psychotic for large mouth bass fishing. Me and only a few other people are allowed to fish on it. I've caught about 5 or 6 4 1/2 and 5 pounders from there. I know there are bigger ones in there though..........

I've fished a little in the gulf of mexico and caught some King Mackeral those damn things put up a good fight. I have to say though there is a farm pond about 45 minutes outside of Des Moines that is psychotic for large mouth bass fishing. Me and only a few other people are allowed to fish on it. I've caught about 5 or 6 4 1/2 and 5 pounders from there. I know there are bigger ones in there though..........

Those little farm ponds are usually tocked pretty good with some kick a$$ fish....I miss that now that I live in the Cities.

Those little farm ponds are usually tocked pretty good with some kick a$$ fish....I miss that now that I live in the Cities.

Yeah it has a lot of bluegill as well so I usually go up there a couple times a year and catch an assload of fish to last me throughout the year. :thumbs

• 7 years later...

I've watched a lot of people chummin' for bait at the railing. Not a fun thing when you're 8 hours from shore. Not drinking too much alcohol helps too. Although many think it's fine until they have to pay the price.

Seems like people out bottom fishing around islands have more trouble than those drift fishing or trolling have.

That's what I hate about coastal fishing. The shelf is so big you gotta run for hours before you start. When I lived in the USVI we would go every couple of months, you went about a mile off shore, and you had over a mile of water under you. In a six hour trip you spent five of it fishing.

Ive chummed my share of ocean, spent all night in a bar, then straight to the boat once... FML that was a day..err night... err whatever... eyeswear2allthatsholy