College Football Players Derseve to be Paid?

*** snip

It's time to let the players have a piece of the pie. You can't possibly convince me that Charlie Weis is worth more to Notre Dame than Brady Quinn. Kids aren't buying Weis jerseys. They're buying Quinn jerseys. Indeed, a few Florida and Ohio State players complained before the Tostitos BCS National Championship Game that they were being exploited -- and they are.

*** snip

Why do you need convincing, Mr. "Hot topic aricle guy who knows it's a slow news day in college sports"?

The Jersey comparison between player and - a coach? That argument is lame. As for the fellas thinking they are being exploited? Go pump gas and work your way through Junior College and then while you are at it, think back how much fun football is just to played? By the way, the collectors are calling... you havent paid back your tuition yet for the classes you dropped because you quit the job you hate.

This dude, this article man is way out there. Focus article man, focus.

I don't know this writer from Adam, but this is not a new idea. It's been debated for a while. Personally, I think the NCAA and the universities whore these kids like there is no tomorrow. I have no problem with a small monthly stipend.

Does anyone on here travel a lot for work? If you do do you get expense reimbursement?

Similar to Frisco's statement what if you made 60k a year but you spent 25k a year in travel expenses and your employer came to you and said no more expense reimbursement. your salary is for the job you do and that includes travel. you chose this job now suck it up be poor and spend your own money to go make the company money.

YOU ALL WOULD BE FIT TO BE TIED

Ok, but lets take it a step further. If my boss told me they were going to make me take the burden of my travel, then I'd say ok give me what a scholarship athlete gets. I want my room and board covered by the company. Provide me with clothing and footwear. It would be even steven as far as I'm concerned.

The fat cats who reap the rewards of this revenue are the cities and the universities of the team. Only two or three sports here at UNL actually make money. How can you pay one team and not another. I feel a free education, free on campus housing, free food, movie nights, free clothing, snacks, xbox 360's and ipods at bowl games is payment enough. If they are good enough to go pro after high school then why not play at a university and learn some things before you get paid millions.

Whatever happened to people wanting to play for a team or school because of pride. We don't need to bring money into this. I don't think a stipend would be that great of an idea either, because I don't think many would use it correctly. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, and some kids really need money, but that is the reason they are STUDENT athletes. They can get a degree and can then persue a career debt free. I just don't think the money generated should go to the players. I think it should go to the university, which in turn, does go to the players and the rest of the students, and the future of our athletics and our university.

It would be way too hard to implement a payment plan for these players. I read somewhere, that about half of the football programs in Division 1 lose money or are right at breaking even. Where are programs like San Jose State or Middle Tennessee State suppose to get the money to pay their players? The payment of players would ruin the parity of college football that makes it so great. Only the richest of the rich would be able to win.

We should probally mention that the money going to pay the players would probally come from increased ticket prices.

ok, so fix it.......no college degree, no NFL eligibility......what a joke.

thank god most folks go to a university to qualify for a decent job and many work there way through school (try a full course load and 35 hours a week working)..it is damn tough.......pay these premadonnas, who many will get millions as pro players while the rest of the student body busts their collective assses trying to make ends meet while getting a degree?? are you kidding me here? how much more can we do for kids that can play ball?

Man, I thought for sure it'd be like 4 months into the off season before we started talking about this again.

Heh...sorry...I wasnt aware that this has been a discussion in the past.

I dont like it though. It would probably work for the bigger D1 schools (USC, Florida, Ohio St. Michigan, Texas, etc etc) But i think the lesser schools would fall apart. Maybe a set amount given to every player like 400-500 dollars like some have said would work. I dunno......but if you're gunna do it like the NFL I have a feeling you would see a lot of "Terrel Owens' types" and that would just ruin every thing that college football is to me. Egos would shine through and I think the "team" aspect of college football would dissolve.....

You know, I go back and forth on this issue. On one hand these kids are getting a full ride, tutors, training table, trainers, great coaches, building life long friendships etc. I understand that the colleges are making a ton of money, obscene amounts in some cases, however, that fact remains that because they are atheletes, they are eceiving 'free' education. That in itself is potentially worth hundreds of thousands or even millions depending upon the kid and the degree. I don't know what the answer is. I'm torn on the issue personally.

I wish my daughter was an 'athlete'. My checkbook and savings would look a whole lot better than they do. Which is why I have a hard time felling bad for these athletes.

So like I said I'm torn...

AND don't the get a stipend as part of the scholarship deal?

this discussion has gone on since the beginning of time. there are good points on both sides of the issue.

all i know is that when i was in college, i went to a private school which is more expensive then a state college or university. i recieved a tuition scholarship but had to pay for my books, room and board, and so on. i worked 40 hrs a week, took a full load of classes, and played baseball. not an easy thing to do and i wish that i had been paid. if i had a full ride and all i would not have had to work so much.

yes the colleges make money off of the athletes (football), most other sports lose money.

so i guess my opinion now is NO. with everything that HNC brought up, full ride, tutors, training table, trainers, ect ect ect. they dont need to be paid anthing else.

if they want extra money to go out on the town then they can get a job and save up the money. i know that the NCAA has rules that limit the amout of "Work" an athlete can do during the school year, but is there any that regulate the amount of work during the summer?

If the players are there to get an education they're getting a good deal with the scholarships etc. If the players are there to render a service to the university they're getting used. If players are at a university just to play ball they shouldn't even be there IMO. I think that's a rather antiquated idea though. I used to be a university professor and the basketball players I had contact with were too stupid to be in college. The female athletes used to be a different story, but unfortunately I think that's even becoming more like men's basketball and football. I'm not saying the girls are stupid, just that women's college sports is becoming more and more like the men's. GBR women's vball. I think the realities of big college sports are changing and will continue to do so. Maybe the more the best college-age athletes go into pro sports the more pressure there will be to pay college athletes; maybe not. The age of loyalty seems to be falling by the wayside and becoming more like big business. It's happened in the job world. Hard to believe it can't happen in college sports.

First I'd like to point out these are Student atheletes, emphasis on student. Academic standards created to ensure that these atheletes get an education are in place and while they may not always be enforced to the letter of the law they are there.

If you wish to pay these student atheletes then you must eliminate the perks of the system. The meals, the cloths etc. Second athletics as a w whole for all but a handful of programs loose money. If you figure you take into account the cost of facilities, cost of education, cost of coaches etc. Next you will need to give the players royalties on all the stuff they wear, let them spend thier time doing commercials instead of practicing or studying. What you end up with is 4 or 5 schools who can afford to pay players in one sport and they dominate each and every year.

Even the non scholly players get the perks and I don't have a problem with that. I do however have a problem with paying them. Just an FYI in many of the lower division schools do give stipends for food (where there is no cafateria) clothing (no Nike contract) etc.

Money is adverstly effecting college sports far too much now. Why add more money to it? The only ones that really think the atheletes need paid are the atheletes that don't want to study or don't have the ability etc. Is this really what we want from an educational institution?

Academic standards huh, like athletes follow those standards. I had many scholarship offers out of high school for baseball. MY GPA was a lazy 2.6. my tests scores were avg ACT-20 SAT-1100 Duke offered my a scholarship guaranteed admission. The girl that sat next to me in my math class was second overall in our class of over 600 students GPA 4.3 on a 4.0 scale, ACT and SAT top 10% She wanted to go to Duke more than anything in the world ADMISSION DENIED. True story i was there i witnessed it i was a part of it. Dont tell me there are standards. Half of the ND football team couldnt get in follow normal procedures. All of these athletes go to D1 because they want to play in the NFL very very few want to get a degree first and play football alongside. We use these kids. if we didnt then they couldnt get in to the Highest Academic Learning Institutes period. We erase the boundaries allowing them entrance with the hopes that they will bring greatness to the athletic Dept thus increasing revenue and income.