... Lucky considered leaving Nebraska

Prep coach says Lucky considered leaving Nebraska

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Thursday, Jan 25, 2007 - 12:29:19 am CST

Nebraska sophomore I-back Marlon Lucky considered transferring at the end of the 2006 season, according to his former high school coach.

However, Lucky no longer has such thoughts, Brad Ratcliffe said Wednesday.

“He talked to Coach (Bill) Callahan last week, and Callahan gave him some good answers,” Ratcliffe said. “If Callahan hadn’t given him good answers, he would’ve been gone.”

Lucky never asked for a release from his scholarship.

Advertisement

“It never got that far,” the coach said.

Lucky’s guardian, Wayne Padden of Los Angeles, said the I-back now looks forward to the 2007 season.

“His future is laid out in front of him,” Padden said.

Lucky, a native of North Hollywood, Calif., finished the 2006 season as Nebraska’s second-leading rusher with 728 yards (5.2 per carry). He also caught 32 passes for 383 yards. However, the 6-foot, 210-pound speedster felt frustration in part because of a back injury suffered midway through the season, Ratcliffe said.

Lucky, who could not be reached for comment, had started the season’s first five games before giving way to junior Brandon Jackson.

What’s more, Lucky was troubled when Nebraska assistant coach John Blake took a similar position at North Carolina as the Huskers prepared for their Jan. 1 Cotton Bowl loss to Auburn. Blake recruited Lucky out of North Hollywood High School.

“Coach Blake was kind of like a security blanket for Marlon,” Ratcliffe said.

Lucky started the bowl game and carried 25 times for 88 yards and caught six passes for 67 yards. He had received the majority of practice repetitions throughout December as Jackson recovered from a broken hand suffered in the Dec. 2 Big 12 Championship Game.

Jackson last week announced he was forgoing his final season at Nebraska to enter the NFL Draft, leaving Lucky as the leading candidate to earn the starting role. Lucky is participating in winter conditioning while two other Husker I-backs — Cody Glenn (foot) and Kenny Wilson (knee) — sit out with injuries.

I don't know if he would have left or not. Don't you guys remember when you were in college? Many of these kids are away from home for the first time in their lives. They get homesick, etc. etc. Some college guys change majors and schools almost as often as they change their underwear. I doubt that very many of the players realize on the front end the commitment needed to play college ball at a major university. Friends come and go, coaches come and go, etc. They're going to wonder if they're doing the right thing.

I think the schools should make it more difficult for these guys to bolt on a whim. Let them think before they sign their letter of intent. I understand family emergencies and coaching changes, but being homesick is hardly a valid excuse. These athletes are treated like royalty, where can a 18-22 yr. old go for that.

I don’t know if I would say this had to do with him being a “Prima Dona” as much as it had to do with losing Blake. Lucky didn’t have a very stable up-bringing and Blake gave him a figure in his life that he could turn to. Blake bolted; I’m sure after he promised Lucky he would be there for his whole career. Throw the injuries on top of it I’m sure the KID was having a hard time dealing with things. Blake bolted with out completing his agreement and people said how big of a loss he was. A player leaves or thinks about it and he is called selfish and spoiled. Something is wrong with this picture.

As far as KIDS being more “me first” now-a-days we all play a role in that. It starts with the “Select” teams that people handpick KIDS to play on thus telling them they are better then the “non-select” KIDS. Then we pay for websites to tell us about High School KIDS, people travel to Texas to watch a Televised High School All Star. At the All Star game they allow the KIDS to pull hats out of a bag to announce what school they are granting their services to for the next 3-5 years. If it happens to be the team we cheer for we celebrate like we won the lottery before even seeing the KID play a down of D1 football.

Then when they don’t perform to the standards WE set for them we knock them down all the while forgetting that they are 18-22 year old KIDS.

I don’t know if I would say this had to do with him being a “Prima Dona” as much as it had to do with losing Blake. Lucky didn’t have a very stable up-bringing and Blake gave him a figure in his life that he could turn to. Blake bolted; I’m sure after he promised Lucky he would be there for his whole career. Throw the injuries on top of it I’m sure the KID was having a hard time dealing with things. Blake bolted with out completing his agreement and people said how big of a loss he was. A player leaves or thinks about it and he is called selfish and spoiled. Something is wrong with this picture.

As far as KIDS being more “me first” now-a-days we all play a role in that. It starts with the “Select” teams that people handpick KIDS to play on thus telling them they are better then the “non-select” KIDS. Then we pay for websites to tell us about High School KIDS, people travel to Texas to watch a Televised High School All Star. At the All Star game they allow the KIDS to pull hats out of a bag to announce what school they are granting their services to for the next 3-5 years. If it happens to be the team we cheer for we celebrate like we won the lottery before even seeing the KID play a down of D1 football.

Then when they don’t perform to the standards WE set for them we knock them down all the while forgetting that they are 18-22 year old KIDS.

Great post :thumbs

I still say one of the worst things for college sports was the movie, Show me the Money.

Followed closely by ESPN and high school highlight films.

But loyalty and dedication are dying characteristics. Our divorce rate should show us that.

It is in the family unit. Until that changes we will see get worse.