... Lucky considered leaving Nebraska

I think the schools should make it more difficult for these guys to bolt on a whim. Let them think before they sign their letter of intent. I understand family emergencies and coaching changes, but being homesick is hardly a valid excuse. These athletes are treated like royalty, where can a 18-22 yr. old go for that.

Schools could do this, but remember we may not have won a NC in 1997 if it were more difficult. Obviously, we never would have had Frost transfer to NU if it were made considerably more difficult for players to transfer. Hell, we more than likely would have never got Taylor if it were made more difficult as he would have had to have stayed at Wake. While we're on the subject, we never would have gotten Keller from ASU eithe.

I get what you'e saying, but we've had players transfer in here just like we've had players transfer out. It's all part of it. I'm not saying it's wrong or right, but I will say what goes around comes around. We've definitely benefitted by players transferring in, and we've not benefitted by players transferring out.

This is pure speculation, but I'm wondering if the reason Lucky didn't play so much in the bowl game was to somewhat keep him more satisfied? Lucky wouldn't be the first player in NU history to demand playing time. I just hope he pans out to be as good as some of those before him that demanded more playing time!

There is a problem on a number of fronts:

1 - Families...obvious, like pointed out earlier, by the ever increasing divorce rate

2 - Coaches...they come and go as they please, long term contract or not. It's not fair for players to go to a school and have 3 coaches in their 5 years because they were moving to bigger and better things.

3 - Have any of you ever experienced the recruiting process? I have, and let me say that coaches will say or do just about anything to get you to their schools. As an 17 or 18 year old, you have no true sense of reality, you love shiny things (or great programs) even if you won't fit in. It's amazing how this always turns on the athlete, when in reality, they are the young, impressionable minds that are being taken advantage of. Until coaches or schools are held accountable for coaches opting out of contracts whenever they please, this situation will always be bad...

Then when they don’t perform to the standards WE set for them we knock them down all the while forgetting that they are 18-22 year old KIDS.

Couldn't help but notice that you capitalized "kids" throughout your whole post! 18-22 now being refered to as "kids". Hell, let's just coddle them until they are 30!! Afterall, I was just a 22 year old "kid" working as a PO!!

And while we're at it, let's give a big thankyou to all of our Service"kids" out there!! :boxosoap

Then when they don’t perform to the standards WE set for them we knock them down all the while forgetting that they are 18-22 year old KIDS.

Couldn't help but notice that you capitalized "kids" throughout your whole post! 18-22 now being refered to as "kids". Hell, let's just coddle them until they are 30!! Afterall, I was just a 22 year old "kid" working as a PO!!

And while we're at it, let's give a big thankyou to all of our Service"kids" out there!! :boxosoap

I follow your point and you are right. However, if I am not mistaken...I think his point was more along the lines of being at that age; your maturity levels are much lower. With that comes a different perspective on problems, your life, goals etc. and at times sound decision making abilities. Yes, even with that, young men and women at that age can and do function in positions of great responsibility such as PO or our armed services.

I follow your point and you are right. However, if I am not mistaken...I think his point was more along the lines of being at that age; your maturity levels are much lower. With that comes a different perspective on problems, your life, goals etc. and at times sound decision making abilities. Yes, even with that, young men and women at that age can and do function in positions of great responsibility such as PO or our armed services.

Thank you for explaining that for me.

On aside note yes I do think 18-22 year old college students for the most part are still kids. I say the samething when ever they show one of the KIDS that has been killed serving in Iraq. Just because you reach a certain age doesn't always mean you are an Adult. Heck if you are a Jewish male you are considered a Man when you turn 13.

If you happen to bust a party of College age people do you say you busted some College Kids or do you say you busted some College Men and Women or Adults? Just wondering. If you become an adult when you turn 18 how come you can drink until you are 21? Specific number doesn't mean adult. Actions mean adult.

There is a problem on a number of fronts:

1 - Families...obvious, like pointed out earlier, by the ever increasing divorce rate

2 - Coaches...they come and go as they please, long term contract or not. It's not fair for players to go to a school and have 3 coaches in their 5 years because they were moving to bigger and better things.

3 - Have any of you ever experienced the recruiting process? I have, and let me say that coaches will say or do just about anything to get you to their schools. As an 17 or 18 year old, you have no true sense of reality, you love shiny things (or great programs) even if you won't fit in. It's amazing how this always turns on the athlete, when in reality, they are the young, impressionable minds that are being taken advantage of. Until coaches or schools are held accountable for coaches opting out of contracts whenever they please, this situation will always be bad...

welcome to corporate america, any big time team game and leaders in general.......it's still the "me generation" out there......it's all about the individual and not the school or the team......or the company.

the guy that recruits you and gives you the next big promotion in the company could be the competition next month....we are a scoiety that sells out for the next great reward......that's life in america

Prep coach says Lucky considered leaving Nebraska

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Thursday, Jan 25, 2007 - 12:29:19 am CST

Nebraska sophomore I-back Marlon Lucky considered transferring at the end of the 2006 season, according to his former high school coach.

However, Lucky no longer has such thoughts, Brad Ratcliffe said Wednesday.

“He talked to Coach (Bill) Callahan last week, and Callahan gave him some good answers,” Ratcliffe said. “If Callahan hadn’t given him good answers, he would’ve been gone.”

Lucky never asked for a release from his scholarship.

Advertisement

“It never got that far,” the coach said.

Lucky’s guardian, Wayne Padden of Los Angeles, said the I-back now looks forward to the 2007 season.

“His future is laid out in front of him,” Padden said.

Lucky, a native of North Hollywood, Calif., finished the 2006 season as Nebraska’s second-leading rusher with 728 yards (5.2 per carry). He also caught 32 passes for 383 yards. However, the 6-foot, 210-pound speedster felt frustration in part because of a back injury suffered midway through the season, Ratcliffe said.

Lucky, who could not be reached for comment, had started the season’s first five games before giving way to junior Brandon Jackson.

What’s more, Lucky was troubled when Nebraska assistant coach John Blake took a similar position at North Carolina as the Huskers prepared for their Jan. 1 Cotton Bowl loss to Auburn. Blake recruited Lucky out of North Hollywood High School.

“Coach Blake was kind of like a security blanket for Marlon,” Ratcliffe said.

Lucky started the bowl game and carried 25 times for 88 yards and caught six passes for 67 yards. He had received the majority of practice repetitions throughout December as Jackson recovered from a broken hand suffered in the Dec. 2 Big 12 Championship Game.

Jackson last week announced he was forgoing his final season at Nebraska to enter the NFL Draft, leaving Lucky as the leading candidate to earn the starting role. Lucky is participating in winter conditioning while two other Husker I-backs — Cody Glenn (foot) and Kenny Wilson (knee) — sit out with injuries.

well, you think cally may have let Lucky get all that playing time in the bowl game by accident? BJ's injury just may have saved Cally from watching Lucky depart......there is nothing good that ever comes from 3-4 guys sharing time at the running back position.....nothing, although we may like it from a fan perspective, it causes problems between the guys competing......thank goodness we appeased Mr. Lucky and laid out his future for him......i guess now Wilson and Glenn can schedule their coach/player conferences next to see what their "tea-leaves" look like.......sheeeshhhhh.....or maybe they don't need "special attention"??

no matter HOW Lucky performs from this point forward, I will see him differently now.........

I know that when you sign a letter of intent that you are supposed to show loyalty and stick around the entire time but, give the kid a break. Lucky considered leaving Nebraska because he was frustrated over the injury and losing Coach Blake who he had a close friendship with but, he talked to Callahan and is now the issue is over. He is committed to Nebraska and is working hard to prove that he is the best running back on the team and deserves to start.

This is getting blown out of proportion. How can we question this man's integrity and his person when we know absolutely nothing about the situation other than what we have read. Do we know the depths of his relationship with blake, do we know how the injury truly affected him emotionally, NO

We dont know dick about the situation so please stop making stupid assumptions and let it be what it is.

For god sakes there could very possibly be way more to the situation than has been portrayed. Please dont tell me you believe that an athlete is going to bare his sole 100% to a reporter, in fact i dont believe there is a quote from lucky so how do we know.

This seriously makes me sad to be a husker fan and i am not sure i want to come back on this board after this. i only joined a week ago and this is sickening.

who do we as fans think we are to determine or judge what a man, a man most of us have never met, is thinking.

WOW

this board is about opinions and articles written by LJS and specualtion regarding the articles substance....baring a TV interview with Mr. Lucky there will be lots of specualtion about how he feels...same goes for Jackson, Glenn and Wilson....yoy may not want to read this thread if controversey upsets you....lots of others to read.....and you can bet the LJS reporter enjoyed throwing this out for disucussion as well...it sells papers.........

Controversy doesnt bother me but people making rash assumptions on a subject they have no knowledge of is stupid.

have an opinion fine, but to directly question the integrity of a person is assenine.

here's one for all of ya. a friend of a girlfriend who's sister dates the brother of the boyfriend of mo pure's sister said that mopure didnt like nunn because nunns girlfriend was hotter than his so he is going to go to the coaches and demand that either nunn gets kicked off of the team or he himself is quitting.

there you go lets see how much BS you can spew about the person and integrity of mo pure.