2007 Nebraska preferred Walk-ons

I've been seeing many blurps on husker Illustrated about several NE kids walking on. I hope so. I think its great to have the home kids want to play for the University. Anyone have any numbers, I've seen 3 or 4, or information about these kids. Keep the tradition alive. GBR

I believe this to be a complete list as of now. I think BC only wants 10-15 walk-ons a year. Anyone who has a greyshirt promise is really a walk-on with the stipulation that if they make the two-deep they are put on scholarship.

Cassidy (Lincoln Southwest)

Lingenfelter (Plainview)

Caputo (Millard North)

Masin (Lincoln Southeast)

May (Imperial Chase County)

Hays (Papillion)

Donahue (Fremont)

Schulte (Norfolk)

Thomsen (Elkhorn)

Escamilla (Fremont Bergan)

Grove (Arlington)

From the Lincoln Journal Star:

Southwest QB Cassidy to walk on at NU

By the Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Feb 06, 2007 - 12:14:54 am CST

Lincoln Southwest quarterback Austin Cassidy has decided to join the Nebraska football program’s 2007 recruiting class as a walk-on.

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound Cassidy rushed for 1,507 yards this past season, averaging 8.3 per carry, and scored 16 touchdowns. He also passed for 546 yards and six scores. At Nebraska, Cassidy may play either quarterback or safety, as well as contribute on special teams.

A Super-State selection, Cassidy is the son of Tim Cassidy, Nebraska associate athletic director for football. He becomes the 10th in-state player known to have committed to walking on at NU in 2007.

Among the others are Mike Caputo of Millard North, Matt Donahue of Fremont, Taylor Escamilla of Archbishop Bergan, Thomas Grove of Arlington, Michael Hays of Papillion-La Vista, Luke Lingenfelter of Plainview, Mike Masin of Lincoln Southeast, Matt May of Chase County and Kevin Thomsen of Elkhorn.

In addition, Aaron Schulte of Norfolk Catholic is expected to join the Huskers’ class of 2007 as a grayshirt.

BRI are you talking about walking on the the security department? at least you would be able to get free tickets to the home games

Actually the ROTC pulls security at the games. I was lucky enough to see a few games for free....but I guess I had tickets anyway. The downfall is the ROTC had to clean the stadium the next morning too.

Bergan standout to join NU as walk-on athlete

By Brett Ellis/Tribune Staff

Taylor Escamilla chose to follow his heart when making the decision on where to attend college.

The Fremont Bergan senior recently decided to join the Nebraska football program as a walk-on.

Escamilla had offers to play football from several smaller schools and also had a wrestling scholarship from the University of Nebraska-Omaha.

In the end, though, his desire to play for the Big Red won out.

“Playing at Nebraska was something I’ve wanted to do ever since I was a little kid,” Escamilla said. “I got the chance, so I’m going to take it.”

The 6-foot-1, 275-pound Escamilla was a standout for Bergan on the offensive and defensive lines, earning Class C-2 all-state honors as a senior.

He is expected to play defense at Nebraska, but also may work with the offensive line depending on injuries and other circumstances.

“They’re excited about the fact that he’s explosive, very physically strong, that he’s got a motor that won’t quit and that he plays with his heart,” Bergan coach Ron Beacom said.

Escamilla’s decision to play football in college was made more difficult when he began attracting attention for wrestling after winning the Class D 275-pound title as a junior.

This winter, Escamilla is unbeaten and the top-ranked heavyweight in Class D.

Football, though, won out in the end.

“It was the first sport I ever really loved doing,” Escamilla said. “Not to say I don’t like wrestling, but football has always been my main focus.”

Escamilla will be a redshirt during his first year at Nebraska, a move he believes will be beneficial.

“It gives me some time to get better,” Escamilla said. “With not doing any sports, it gives me time to lift weights and make sure I get my studies out of the way.”