5 High schoolers from PHX area going to NU

W. Valley players off to Nebraska

Richard Obert

The Arizona Republic

Feb. 8, 2007 12:00 AM

Nebraska has this sweet little trick it likes to do to entice recruits to play football for the Cornhuskers.

During a weekend official trip, the recruit runs out of the Memorial Stadium tunnel before a game in front of 81,000 red-clad fans who chant the recruit's name.

That happened to Phoenix Moon Valley offensive lineman Jaivorio Burkes, Glendale Apollo running back Prince Amukamara and Glendale Ironwood receiver/defensive back Eric Hagg on Nov. 24, before the Cornhuskers played Colorado.

advertisement

"He said, 'I felt like a rock star,' " Moon Valley coach Roger Britson said Burkes told him. "He said, 'That's what did it for me.' "

Two other West Valley players, Phoenix Trevor Browne offensive lineman Marcel Jones and Ironwood defensive end William Yancy, followed their lead. All five signed with Nebraska on Wednesday.

That might be the biggest pull ever in the Valley by a major college outside of Arizona.

Amukamara had his heart set on staying home for college, but Nebraska began wooing him even before he burst onto the scene last season with more than 2,100 rushing yards and became The Republic's Big School Player of the Year.

"It's probably just the love," Amukamara said for his reason to sign with Nebraska. "I was so loved and welcomed and accepted."

Amukamara is very close to Hagg. Burkes and Yancy are practically neighbors. Jones is close to all of them.

Both Amukamara and Hagg are listed as "athletes" on Nebraska's signing list. When they took their trip together, along with Burkes, Hagg committed first.

"Eric was already loving it," Amukamara said. "He made his commitment. We were in the hotel room, saying, 'Wouldn't it be funny if we all played together?' Me and Jaivorio were joking, if nothing worked out, we'd come here, too."

Only Texas (with seven signees) fed Nebraska more players Wednesday. Nebraska signed four players from California and only three from Nebraska.

"I have to credit our staff," Nebraska coach Bill Callahan said during a news conference. "Bill Busch did an outstanding job in Arizona to pull out five high school kids. That's difficult when you're competing against ASU and Arizona, and USC comes into that backyard, as well. That's an area we targeted early. Bill has a lot of connections."

The quintet gathered at Ironwood's media center Wednesday for photos and interviews and a lunch. The room was decked out in red, of course. The five were hugging each other like they were best friends.

"They all wanted the same thing," Britson said. "Football is No. 1 in Nebraska."

Nebraska can't outsell the Arizona schools on weather. But it can on passion.

"The opportunity is more important than the weather," Callahan said.

Callahan said he plans to keep hitting Arizona hard.

"As the population increases, and with new high schools opening all the time, that area will be a focus for us for years to come," Callahan said.

Wish we were playing ASU some more so I could see some games out here.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/colleges/a...gnings0208.html

W. Valley players off to Nebraska

Richard Obert

The Arizona Republic

Feb. 8, 2007 12:00 AM

Nebraska has this sweet little trick it likes to do to entice recruits to play football for the Cornhuskers.

During a weekend official trip, the recruit runs out of the Memorial Stadium tunnel before a game in front of 81,000 red-clad fans who chant the recruit's name.

That happened to Phoenix Moon Valley offensive lineman Jaivorio Burkes, Glendale Apollo running back Prince Amukamara and Glendale Ironwood receiver/defensive back Eric Hagg on Nov. 24, before the Cornhuskers played Colorado. advertisement

"He said, 'I felt like a rock star,' " Moon Valley coach Roger Britson said Burkes told him. "He said, 'That's what did it for me.' "

Two other West Valley players, Phoenix Trevor Browne offensive lineman Marcel Jones and Ironwood defensive end William Yancy, followed their lead. All five signed with Nebraska on Wednesday.

That might be the biggest pull ever in the Valley by a major college outside of Arizona.

Amukamara had his heart set on staying home for college, but Nebraska began wooing him even before he burst onto the scene last season with more than 2,100 rushing yards and became The Republic's Big School Player of the Year.

"It's probably just the love," Amukamara said for his reason to sign with Nebraska. "I was so loved and welcomed and accepted."

Amukamara is very close to Hagg. Burkes and Yancy are practically neighbors. Jones is close to all of them.

Both Amukamara and Hagg are listed as "athletes" on Nebraska's signing list. When they took their trip together, along with Burkes, Hagg committed first.

"Eric was already loving it," Amukamara said. "He made his commitment. We were in the hotel room, saying, 'Wouldn't it be funny if we all played together?' Me and Jaivorio were joking, if nothing worked out, we'd come here, too."

Only Texas (with seven signees) fed Nebraska more players Wednesday. Nebraska signed four players from California and only three from Nebraska.

"I have to credit our staff," Nebraska coach Bill Callahan said during a news conference. "Bill Busch did an outstanding job in Arizona to pull out five high school kids. That's difficult when you're competing against ASU and Arizona, and USC comes into that backyard, as well. That's an area we targeted early. Bill has a lot of connections."

The quintet gathered at Ironwood's media center Wednesday for photos and interviews and a lunch. The room was decked out in red, of course. The five were hugging each other like they were best friends.

"They all wanted the same thing," Britson said. "Football is No. 1 in Nebraska."

Nebraska can't outsell the Arizona schools on weather. But it can on passion.

"The opportunity is more important than the weather," Callahan said.

Callahan said he plans to keep hitting Arizona hard.

"As the population increases, and with new high schools opening all the time, that area will be a focus for us for years to come," Callahan said.