Someone remind me: Why is the gov't at war

I just don't understand...I don't get it. Why are we fighting....why is it necessary that these young men die? Don't tell me 9/11, we are so far past that. Hussein had nothing to do with it. These men that died could have been the next mayor in your neighborhood. Maybe one could have went on to be a doctor and cure a disease. Instead there in the ground, while their children and spouse are left to wonder why or continue to try and convince themselves that this is a just war. All the while Cheney get richer with Haliburton and Bush stuffs his pockets with oil money. For christ sake can it get any more obvious.

If we are there to spread democracy, then why haven't we invaded Saudi Arabia yet. They certainly do not run a democracy.

My point is not to denounce the men and women of the military one bit, but to call out our government. I love America, but despise what our "leaders" call for.

Again, I commend all of you for having the balls and guts to do this, but you will not find me volunteering for a so-called "just" foreign war or any of my children if I have a say. Maybe when our leaders children start getting on the bus to go off to war I will follow. None of them go. There smart, the political fathers and mothers telll the truth about this "war." Which by the way was never okayed by our Legislative branch, a war crime in itself. They tell their children the lies and what occurs on the battlefield. I'm a pu&&y, I'll tell you that right now. I just hate seeing good, quality men and women losing their lives

well ETR you do have some good concerns.

if you remember that we were told that we went into Iraq because of "WMD" and the Hussein would not allow inspectors in and that he was involved with al Quida and all of that.

the Liberal news media will want everyone to believe that we have no business here in Iraq, because we (the American public) were lied to. Saddam had no WMD, was not involved in supporting al Quida, that it is all about the oil and on and on and on.

with out going into specifics that I am not allowed to get into. I can tell you that chemical munitions have been found here and destroyed here in Iraq since I have been here. Did Saddam have the ability to use these weapons in the US? I doubt it, could he have obtained the ability? More than likely, Yes.

You dont want me to use the 9/11 reason, but you have to look at it. Has the US been attacked on US soil since we invaded Afganistan and Iraq? Have innocent American civilians been killed on US soil in the name of "ALLAH"? NO

If the war in Iraq was about Iraq's oil, then why are we still paying $2.00+ for a gallon of gas?

Yes Cheney owns stock in Halliburton, but how many other people in America own stock in them also. If you invest into a 401K plan, you probably are invested into a subsidary of Haliburton and do not know it. Haliburton is not the only contractor here in Iraq. At the time the war started, how many other companys had the ability to do what they were capable of doing? I dont know, but it can not be that many.

I didnt agree with the reasoning that we got into this fight in the beginning, and believe it or not not all of us want to be here doing what we are doing. It is not easy leaving our loved ones and going off to a foriegn country and being placed in harms way. But after being here and seeing the different things that we have accomplished here, we cannot just give up on these people, or Iran and Siria will just come in and take over and then this region will really be in a hell of a mess.

I have said this before and I will continue to say it. I would much rather be here dodging the car bombs and IED's than seeing it happen on I-80 outside Omaha or Lincoln, or any where on US soil for that matter.

Eric, I appriciate your support and I respect your opinions and the freedom that you have to voice those opinions.

and remember one thing

God Bless America and Go Big Red

Never been any war/conflict since the beginning of man that is or was without grief or suffering. I don't believe that this war is any different than previous ones. Some people want to point the finger at terrorism, some at greed and corruption. I feel that there is no quick and easy answer to solve humanities problems or our own. I believe the problems are systemic. A deadly combination of moral values, greed, corruption, antipathy to face the truth and right wrongs. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Information overload, distrust, etc....... the list goes on and on. I also believe there is still hope for humanity. I also believe it will take a concerted effort by a majority of the world to make those changes possible. I don't feel that Armageddon is just around the corner. I truly believe that man is inherently good just slow to react. Just a little of my own philosophy peekin' out.

PEACE not

I completely agree with what ETR had to say about supporting the troops. Whether one agrees with invading Iraq or not, the troops have just done their job honorably. I find it very sad that good men and women are dying for a reason that keeps changing. First it was a 9/11 reference, but then the 9/11 report and other facts debunked that myth (Bin Laden and Hussein didn't get along), so the administration stopped using that as a justification. Then it was all about WMD, but no significant WMDs were reported found, and the administration stopped using that as a justification. Then it was all about bringing democracy to Iraq, but there are plenty of our "friends" who don't believe in democracy, and now Iraq is in a civil war. If you have to keep changing the justification for the war long after it has started, then I'm pretty suspicious of why we are putting our troops in harms way.

On a side note, just because the press/media is skeptical of the administration does not make it "liberal." The press is supposed to be skeptical and search for what might be hidden. That is their job. The press was all over Clinton for getting some "personal favors" from an intern, and I don't remember anyone complaining the press was conservative, etc.

I truly feel sorry for the military and their families. I especially feel sorry for the reserves b/c going to Iraq is something they were not thinking would happen. I had some friends that signed up for the extra cash and free college. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but is sending over most of the reserves what they signed up for? What happens to people here if there is something horrible that goes on?

I have a lot of military family members and I support the troops full heartedly. I just think we are never going to leave Iraq. I absolutely HATE Bush and everything he stands for. He has brought down this country and ruined our reputation even more since he has been in office. I also feel that Cheney is even more evil than Bush. I cannot wait until 2008 and those idiots are out of office.

I completely agree with what ETR had to say about supporting the troops. Whether one agrees with invading Iraq or not, the troops have just done their job honorably. I find it very sad that good men and women are dying for a reason that keeps changing. First it was a 9/11 reference, but then the 9/11 report and other facts debunked that myth (Bin Laden and Hussein didn't get along), so the administration stopped using that as a justification. Then it was all about WMD, but no significant WMDs were reported found, and the administration stopped using that as a justification. Then it was all about bringing democracy to Iraq, but there are plenty of our "friends" who don't believe in democracy, and now Iraq is in a civil war. If you have to keep changing the justification for the war long after it has started, then I'm pretty suspicious of why we are putting our troops in harms way.

***SNIP***

And let's not forget the most important fact of all - the Administration knew that there was NO evidence to support ANY of their justifications for going to war at the time they were espousing them.

Honestly, I have a hard time understanding those that blindly endorse any actions by an Administration that results in completely and utterly unnecessary deaths of those men and women who are so willing to do what is asked of them by this country. It truly boggles the mind...

I am not going to get into a political debate about the reasons we are here in Iraq.

Maybe the reasons that we were brought into this were not exactly spelled out but someone needs to be here and help out these people. Who is going to do it, the French? the UN?

It is not the Administration that is saying that Iraq is in a Civil War. Most of the car bombings and sectarian violence that is happening here is being done by insurgents from other countries. In my opinion, they are coming in from the porous border of Syria and Iran.

Some say that Bush has brought down this country, but the stock market is at all time highs and unemployment is at an all time low, which is better then when the great Bill Clinton was in office.

Unless you have been over here and seen what has happened over here, chances are that you will believe whatever you see or hear from the media, and that is fine because it is the only information that you have to form your opinions.

This is my second trip into this region and I have seen what has been going on over here first hand, and trust me when I tell you that EVERYTHING is not reported in the news. It never has been and it never will be. Just like each polical party, the news media has its own agenda and they are going to report what they feel will further their agenda.

That is what I love about this country and this board, we all have or right to voice our opinions without fear of reprisals.

***SNIP***

Maybe the reasons that we were brought into this were not exactly spelled out but someone needs to be here and help out these people. Who is going to do it, the French? the UN?

***SNIP***

That's a reason with which no one can argue. But it begs the question - why Iraq? Or more importantly, if that is the criteria, why not other countries? What about all those third-world countries laboring under totalitarion regiemes and conditions that are just as inhumane as existed under Saddam? And can the US afford, in terms of resources, to assist every country that needs assistance?

Regardless, it still remains that the administration's purported reasons for going to war were nothing more than its attempt to drum up support by the use of knowingly false information - which has led to the needless death of over 3000 Americans. That is, by any rationale or criteria, inexcusable...

I am not going to get into a political debate about the reasons we are here in Iraq.

It is not the Administration that is saying that Iraq is in a Civil War. Most of the car bombings and sectarian violence that is happening here is being done by insurgents from other countries. In my opinion, they are coming in from the porous border of Syria and Iran.

Some say that Bush has brought down this country, but the stock market is at all time highs and unemployment is at an all time low, which is better then when the great Bill Clinton was in office.

Unless you have been over here and seen what has happened over here, chances are that you will believe whatever you see or hear from the media, and that is fine because it is the only information that you have to form your opinions.

This is my second trip into this region and I have seen what has been going on over here first hand, and trust me when I tell you that EVERYTHING is not reported in the news. It never has been and it never will be. Just like each polical party, the news media has its own agenda and they are going to report what they feel will further their agenda.

That is what I love about this country and this board, we all have or right to voice our opinions without fear of reprisals.

Part of the reason unemployment is low is because we have 200,000 americans overseas right now. Some of these people are reserves who left their job. But when (if) the war ever ends and most of the troops come home these reserves are entitled to get their old job back under USERRA. Then what happens to the people that were holding the jobs for the reserves. Maybe some of them will receive severance packages and then be forced to look for a new job just like the 13,000 Chrysler employees or the 22,000 North American employees that are being laid off by Ford. The economy is not as good as everyone thinks it is, sure the DOW is at an all time high, but the housing market is in a slump, and oil prices have risen sharply in the last 3 weeks, and tis the season for oil to keep rising. I am sure we will see $3.00 gasoline again this summer. It's a trend we are going to have to get used to or else get the oil loving administration out of office and elect someone else that will find alternative sources of fuel.

I am not against our soldiers our military. I don't want them to die, I want them to be here in America to take care of there children and contribute to society. I want Dad's to be home and protect their daughters from the terrorist we have here in the states, like child molesters.

I am patriotic, I love my fellow Americans, I don't want them to die for nothing. "Mr. President please do not send more Americans into the meat grinder. I want them to be able to attend Husker games." :hmmph

Bill O'Reilly gets his ass kicked by Phil Donahue!!

Guy's, I thinks it's a little too late to ask why we are there. We need to ask ourselves why we need to stay there. If we don't then everything we did and eveyone who died there would of done it for nothing. The Iraqi Goverment isn't strong enough to support itself yet. The whole world will look at this as a U.S. failure. IMO this is not over, we can not pull out until the job is done. I will go back there if need be. Believe it or not, but there are a lot of good people in that country that want our help.

IMO this is not over, we can not pull out until the job is done.

And what is that....?

Meanwhile, some rich, old, white men watch and giggle as Halaberten stock continues to rise as Americans boys and girls are forced to go off and fight a war never sanctioned by Congress, but by an idiot on his high horse with a small penis who seemingly thinks America needs to continue to push their weight around.

I thinks it's a little too late to ask why we are there
It's never too late...never!