No more excuses

I think that our defense finally came together at the end of the year. It is just that our saftey play was so bad that it got exposed at times despite our extremley dominate D-line play. At the beging of the year it took our DT's some time to get a grove, and then we had some injuries at linebacker that just killed are whole defense. The Oklahoma St. game is a good example of that. We had 3 linebackers playing the whole game. That alone is enough to kill most teams. We just basically saw that the whole defense came together during the Oklahoma and the Auburn games. We were healthy and at linebacker and our D-line was playing as one and that almost covered the weekness in the secondary. Sure the offense let us down in the second half of almost every game and Callahan will get that better, just as he got our running game night and day better over this time of the year. Are offense should do nothing but improve with all of the returning talent, in fact it could be scary good baring injuries. I realize that injuries always occur we just have to avoid the serious ones. We will be better, but I don't know how much but 10 wins are very on par expectations for this years team. Of course I will be expecting at least 12 wins, because if you do not expect the best you will not get the best.

I totally agree. I see Big 12 champions and a BCS game for this year. Just think how close we were to 11-2 in 06, if not for games we should have won, (Ok. St., Texas, and Auburn, and possibly Oklahoma).

We won't know how good we really are until we knock off a great program. USC is going down this year. They proved last year they are a horrible road team. Let's send these Hollywood Pansies back to Freakafornia with one in their L column!

WOW, I must have been mistaken. Did we have All American or All Big 12 type players in the backfield last year. It must have been all on the coach huh.

Well, Coz may not have had a real talented backfield last season. But then again, how would you know? Some of the most embarrassing losses I can remember as a Husker fan came under Coz’s leadership in 2004. Remember, when Coz’s defense gave up 70 points to Texas Tech, and 34 to Iowa State, and 30 to Oklahoma, and 45 to Kansas State? Well, since this year the talent was the issue, then WTF was the problem in 2004? He had a defensive backfield where THREE OUT OF THE FOUR STARTERS ARE NOW NFL STARTERS!!! If your defensive backfield has Washington, Bullocks and Bullocks and you give up 70 points to anyone…ANYONE… then, like I said before, IT’S ALL ON THE COACHES.

Oh, and by the way, just in case someone wants to throw in the weak-ass “It was their 3rd defensive coordinator in 3 years” argument, then please riddle me this? How is it that at least one of those guys was able to go to the NFL and shine with his 4th defensive coordinator in 4 years? Is 3 the magic number? Is it only the 3rd defensive coordinator in 3 years that is too difficult for the boys to deal with? Bullocks led the nation in interceptions with his 2nd defensive coordinator in 2 years. But with his 3rd defensive coordinator in 3 years he disappeared. But then, lo and behold, when he got to the NFL, and his 4th defensive coordinator in 5 years, he was able to win a starting job.

Could it be that regardless of how much talent Coz has, he just is not a good coordinator? Could it be that he can put together a good game plan, but cannot adjust? If the players can play well for half a game, then they must have talent. Period. Maybe not as good as the talent that Coz had the first year he was at NU (you know, the one where he gave up 70 points to Texas Tech, and 34 to Iowa State, and 30 to Oklahoma, and 45 to Kansas State), but if the players could hold good offenses in the first half, then why were they constantly melting down in the second half? The answer is simple; we have a defensive coordinator who is constantly getting out coached.

We won't know how good we really are until we knock off a great program. USC is going down this year. They proved last year they are a horrible road team. Let's send these Hollywood Pansies back to Freakafornia with one in their L column!

I also hope we kick USC's ass. But I do take some offense to the "Freakafornia" remark. :corndance

Time for this staff to get it done. No 5 loss seasons anymore. They have brought in 2 solid recruiting classes in a row and now its time to play some football. No more excuses saying "they are making progress" or anything like that. It will be the 4th year of Callahan, and unless we see improvement this year, then we know for sure that this current coaching staff isn't very good. They need to adjust, and don't make stupid ass calls. Also don't be so predictable. The sloppy 2nd halves are unexcusable anymore. Who agrees with me here?

I want them to win the Big 12 title, or if they don't, play in the title game, and then go on to win their bowl game. I want to see them beat a top 10 or top 15 team this year also. So I want an 11-3 season, 10-4 maybe but really they need to do better.

yawn......

We had a team that did not buy into the defense, Bullocks and Washington wanted cover 2. We did not have the personel to do it, and they through a fit about it. Basically quitting on the team. Try to remember all the facts, not just the numbers.

Some people’s blind loyalty will lead them to believe anything. Yeah, I know, Washington and Bullocks didn’t buy into the defense. Yeah, I know, it was too many defensive coordinator changes. Yeah, I know, Coz doesn’t have the talent to win. Yeah, I know, when he did have the talent, THEY didn’t want to listen to him. Yeah, I know, Coz had too many injuries at key positions. Yeah, I know, he couldn’t ever put in a nickel package against USC because the young D-backs weren’t ready yet and a slow linebacker can do a better job covering a wide receiver than an inexperienced but fast D-back. Yeah, I know, even though having set positions (i.e. R Rush end and L Rush end) worked to the tune of 3 national championships and a 60-3 run in the mid `90’s, but Coz’s idea of switching Carriker all over the line was a good plan (never mind that NU went from leading the NCAA in sacks to nowhere on the radar in that stat), the problem was actually poor safety play.

Good lord! It’s either a conspiracy, or a mutiny, or no talent, or injuries, but it NEVER seems to be Coz’s fault. Absolutely AMAZING!!!! How many excuses are you people going to make for the guy? He is not a good defensive coordinator. If he were, the team would have been consistent. Not good in the first half and bad in the second half. Nobody seems to be able to explain how that can be. How can the safety play be good enough to shut down a team for half the game, but after the other team makes their adjustments, they fall apart, and yet you all say it’s the player’s fault. Yeah, I know, they just forgot how to tackle and stopped getting into position during the halftime show, right? Coz never adjusted to the obvious adjustments that the other team made. He was good enough to plan a defensive scheme given a week to do so, but not good enough to adjust at halftime. And that is the main problem. He’s just not good enough!

Well, Coz may not have had a real talented backfield last season. But then again, how would you know? Some of the most embarrassing losses I can remember as a Husker fan came under Coz’s leadership in 2004. Remember, when Coz’s defense gave up 70 points to Texas Tech, and 34 to Iowa State, and 30 to Oklahoma, and 45 to Kansas State? Well, since this year the talent was the issue, then WTF was the problem in 2004? He had a defensive backfield where THREE OUT OF THE FOUR STARTERS ARE NOW NFL STARTERS!!! If your defensive backfield has Washington, Bullocks and Bullocks and you give up 70 points to anyone…ANYONE… then, like I said before, IT’S ALL ON THE COACHES.

Oh, and by the way, just in case someone wants to throw in the weak-ass “It was their 3rd defensive coordinator in 3 years” argument, then please riddle me this? How is it that at least one of those guys was able to go to the NFL and shine with his 4th defensive coordinator in 4 years? Is 3 the magic number? Is it only the 3rd defensive coordinator in 3 years that is too difficult for the boys to deal with? Bullocks led the nation in interceptions with his 2nd defensive coordinator in 2 years. But with his 3rd defensive coordinator in 3 years he disappeared. But then, lo and behold, when he got to the NFL, and his 4th defensive coordinator in 5 years, he was able to win a starting job.

Could it be that regardless of how much talent Coz has, he just is not a good coordinator? Could it be that he can put together a good game plan, but cannot adjust? If the players can play well for half a game, then they must have talent. Period. Maybe not as good as the talent that Coz had the first year he was at NU (you know, the one where he gave up 70 points to Texas Tech, and 34 to Iowa State, and 30 to Oklahoma, and 45 to Kansas State), but if the players could hold good offenses in the first half, then why were they constantly melting down in the second half? The answer is simple; we have a defensive coordinator who is constantly getting out coached.

OK 04 sucked with alot of talent. But if I remember corectly a good part of that has to be on the Offensive side. The TT game seemed like we gave them the ball on the 10 yard line the whole second half.

There are 11 players on the field

There are 11 players on the field

Mr. Admin, actually you quoted from a post by Michigan Red, but actually he was responding to (and quoting from) my post.

I know there are 11 players on the field, but thanks for the math lesson. My point is that it seems that everyone wants to blame either Shanle or Grixby for the problems on defense this past season. Whenever I complain about Coz (which is almost non-stop because I don’t think he is good enough for us) someone says something like “well Shanle sucks” or “He didn’t have a talented backfield” or any other numerous replies intended to relieve Coz of his complicity in the defensive meltdowns we have regularly incurred since 2004. In my post, what I was doing was pointing out was that even when he had a talented defensive backfield, they still got lit up like a Christmas tree. So I think the problems have less to do with the talent level and more to do with his inability to put together a good overall game plan, properly prepare and teach players, and his inability to adjust on the fly. By the way, all of the previous stated attributes are mandatory for a good defensive coordinator.

OK 04 sucked with alot of talent. But if I remember corectly a good part of that has to be on the Offensive side. The TT game seemed like we gave them the ball on the 10 yard line the whole second half.

Okay, now I have to add a new excuse the myriad of excuses in the Coz defenders’ arsenal. The defense giving up 45 to K-state, and 70 to T-tech was actually not Coz’s fault…it was the offenses’ fault.

Now it is much more clear. How could I have been so wrong? :sarcasm

We had a team that did not buy into the defense, Bullocks and Washington wanted cover 2. We did not have the personel to do it, and they through a fit about it. Basically quitting on the team. Try to remember all the facts, not just the numbers.

The cover 2 seemed to work pretty well the year before when we had a pretty good defensive coordinator. We returned the majority of those players for the 2004 season. Facts.

Time for this staff to get it done. No 5 loss seasons anymore. They have brought in 2 solid recruiting classes in a row and now its time to play some football. No more excuses saying "they are making progress" or anything like that. It will be the 4th year of Callahan, and unless we see improvement this year, then we know for sure that this current coaching staff isn't very good. They need to adjust, and don't make stupid ass calls. Also don't be so predictable. The sloppy 2nd halves are unexcusable anymore. Who agrees with me here?

I want them to win the Big 12 title, or if they don't, play in the title game, and then go on to win their bowl game. I want to see them beat a top 10 or top 15 team this year also. So I want an 11-3 season, 10-4 maybe but really they need to do better.

Harsh but true. I am looking foward to Nebraska providng some great competition and more great matches like they did with us this year. Jesus....4 years already! Time flies.

I also hope we kick USC's ass. But I do take some offense to the "Freakafornia" remark. :corndance

No offense intended, but LA is the most God-forsaken place in this country. 5 years is enough, get me out of this place!!! Living away from Nebraska is overrated! Go Big Red!!

Okay, now I have to add a new excuse the myriad of excuses in the Coz defenders’ arsenal. The defense giving up 45 to K-state, and 70 to T-tech was actually not Coz’s fault…it was the offenses’ fault.

Now it is much more clear. How could I have been so wrong? :sarcasm

The D and O were both horrible in that game. We (or rather Daily, Davis, and LeFlore) threw 5 interceptions for 102 return yards. TT scored TDs on 4 drives of less than 15 yards. Here is how the offensive drives of NU finished the game after starting the 3rd quarter with a 3 play TD drive (to make it 21 to 10):

3 plays, 2 yards, Punt

3 plays, -5 yards, Punt

3 plays, -6 yards, Fumble

1 play, 0 yards, Interception

1 play, -6 yards, Fumble

1 play, 0 yards, Interception

3 plays, 4 yards, Interception

3 plays, 6 yards, Punt

8 plays, 32 yards, Interception

Not sure which side of the ball was more important in blowing this game and embarrassing us, but I know the offense sure didn't help.

On the other hand, the number of plays and time of possession was nearly identical, so I'm not sure how tired the defense could be. And on 61 passing attempts, we intercepted only 1 ball and got only 1 sack.

It should also be noted that while up 42-10, TT threw 12 passes and ran twice, converting on 2 fourth downs to score, 49-10. The next drive consisted of 3 passes to score 56-10. The second string finally came in (Cody Hodges). The next drive was 1 pass and 1 rush to score, 63-10, the next 1 pass and a score, 70-10, and leading 70-10, the next drive was 3 passes and a punt.

Usually, when a team throws 61 times, they are trying to come back from a large deficit or are in some kind offensive shootout. In this case, TT has a coach who is a complete D-bag. Any parent who allows their kid to go there gets what they deserve.

Regardless, Calli learned an important lesson in this game which may have led to him playing tight in the games this past season. I'm not sure that Coz necessarily learned anything. (Other than the TT coach is D-bag.)