Nebraskans for NU-OU Tradition

Sign this petition and show your support for reviving the Nebraska - Oklahoma college football rivalry. The rivalry is one of the most storied college football history. However, after the Big 8 became the Big 12, the annual tradition faded as the teams would only play for two years and then take two years off. Signing this petition will show your support for reviving this storied college football tradition. Nebraskans for Tradition will deliver the results of this petition to each of schools and release the results of the petition drive to the media.

Sign this petition and show your support for reviving the Nebraska - Oklahoma college football rivalry. The rivalry is one of the most storied college football history. However, after the Big 8 became the Big 12, the annual tradition faded as the teams would only play for two years and then take two years off. Signing this petition will show your support for reviving this storied college football tradition. Nebraskans for Tradition will deliver the results of this petition to each of schools and release the results of the petition drive to the media.

Eric:

I too still believe that NUs only real rival was OU but I doubt that OU shares that opinion of the rivalry. Don't they hate UT much more than NU.

I have friends and family from Oklahoma and they respect Nebraska in the rivalry sense. they flat out hate Texas though. They hate Texas as much as the typical NU fan hates CU.

Yes, but for different reasons. NU fans hate CU because many of their fans lack couth and decorum inside and out of the stadium and because they don't take pride in their program--they just hate others that have success.

OU fans hate Texas because Texas fans try to present an air of superiority, despite having to cheat to win and helping to kill off a conference for those wins.

Regardless, I've signed. We need to play Oklahoma each year--it makes Nebraska a better program for it, win or lose.

• 3 weeks later...

This game use to mean something back in the day, with the conference title on the line almost every year.

I've been to many of these classic match ups including the "Game of the Century". I was selling 7-up and Dr.Pepper as a kid. (and yes Joe Wiley got clipped on the run-back)

This thread got me to thinking about all of those games, the one in '59, I forget what your coach's name was but he was from Norman and a former player for Bud Wilkenson, your coach was fired the year after. I think that is when Devaney came in, but I'm not sure.

There were some good ones in the '60s as well, I think that was the start of the rivalry. I always remember watching those games during the Thanksgiving time and the weather was always a factor, especially in Lincoln. So many close games and good memories. Those were different times with different players and attitudes, culture and such. The 70s were another exciting time for both schools, with Tom and Barry. And through the 80's until Switzer left.

I think Osborne took all his frustrations out on us after Barry left, We went through 3 coaches until the present time.

As far as continuing the game it won't happen unless they restructure the Big 12 and take away the Championship game.

Times have sure changed for you guys, I really see that you don't have a "big game" or rivalry. I think Gary Barnett circled you guys as there rival.

We have had a rival for over 100 years with the whorns, and that will never change, Nebraska was not a rival like this game, for us anyway. For fans, coaches, players, ulums, bands, cheerleaders, Oil barons, well, you get the picture. You guys were never that for us. I don't mean to sound arrogant or cocky, but I will quote Osborne, when he said, "Oklahoma always gave us something to live up to". Conference titles, Yes, absolutly, big game, yes. I would consider our game as a "classic match-up" during a special time of year.

But that is gone.

I say with respect that you guys still need us, and Oh by the way, you guys stole our cheer, "Go Big Red", my Dad use to shout it during the early 50's, and I use to in the early 60's.

So with that I will say, Go Big Red, Boomer Sooner.

Hey SoonerOLB. What's your take on our current coach's character? Remembering his reference a few years back about Oklahoman's with guns and all, ("hillbillys" or something of the such is what he said) his throat slash in another setting, and of course his inaction against the player that could only take out his frustration against your cheerleader, does he even make a difference in the whole scenario? Within your fanbase, in your opinion, does this dampen the glory days and wishes of renewing this great rivalry? For the life of me, I can't stand thinking that we only have K-State, Missouri, or dare I say the Buffs! :hmmph

Btw, thanks for your input. I remember those days and how good they were for the real "Big Red". (The one up north ;) ) We thrived thanks to you guys. You always raised the bar.