Lost DB's

huskers1

Here is my only concern about the coaches playing who is best for the position/team. Three situations from this past year come to mind. Lucky in over Brandon Jackson in many instances, Andre Jones instead of giving someone like Ricky Thenarse a chance and probably the largest issue, MATT HERRIAN. I question those three choices. I know that Husker Nation loves Matt but he is and has been done since his knee injury. He doesn't have the speed, the confidence or the ability any longer. Instead of playing a more capable tight end throughout the season, the coaching staff continued to play Matt for the majority of the games. I have to question that decision and wonder what the reasoning behind the decision was...

Good points and another for pondering is why do we not use the TE???? regardless of which one is on the field.

I don't mean for blocking but for stretching the "D"

What good does it do to line up TE's in the FB or slot position if you don't throw them the ball?

Here is my only concern about the coaches playing who is best for the position/team. Three situations from this past year come to mind. Lucky in over Brandon Jackson in many instances, Andre Jones instead of giving someone like Ricky Thenarse a chance and probably the largest issue, MATT HERRIAN. I question those three choices. I know that Husker Nation loves Matt but he is and has been done since his knee injury. He doesn't have the speed, the confidence or the ability any longer. Instead of playing a more capable tight end throughout the season, the coaching staff continued to play Matt for the majority of the games. I have to question that decision and wonder what the reasoning behind the decision was...

Good points and another for pondering is why do we not use the TE???? regardless of which one is on the field.

What good does it do to line up TE's in the FB or slot position if you don't throw them the ball?

I totally agree with you on trying to use the tight end more. One of my friends said that maybe Callahan was trying to limit the reads that Taylor had this year to limit the sacks and the hits he took. It might be possible that the tight end was eliminated or that Taylor just didn't look his way and went right to the backs for a checkdown instead of waiting that extra second and taking a hit because of it. This is all speculation but it does make sense to a point.

I must say I never understood Herian always being on the field either. I remember Callahan saying hat he was expecting to use the TEs a lot in the WCO, however, it seems that our lack of a receiving threat at the position made him more inclined to use the TE as a blocker. I am guessing that this means most teams were using Zone defenses to defend us. If the other teams were guarding us in man to man, we would want the TE to go out on a pattern to get rid of another possible rusher. If they are in zone, it would make sense to leave another blocker in that is no threat as a receiver, because the defense will have the same number of people rushing....regardless of how many receivers are out in routes.

We could have taken frank solich's philosophy in db's, and every other position on the football field; if the players are good then they probably won't choose Nebraska and therefore we shouldn't recruit them.

Billy C says let's try for the good talent and if we don't get them, then we'll go with Frankie S's philosophy and settle for 1 star athletes.

OK I'm an asshat, and sorry for offending everyone I could but that's what liquor will do to ya! :nanalama

:cheers

:wasted

Take this season for instance. How much better was the offense at the end of the season than they were after the 3rd or 4th game of the season. The D did however continue to develop IMO

I know you are just stating your opinion, and I respect that, but I really think any apparent improvement in the defense has more to do with the fact that we finished against teams down the stretch that were having offensive issues (OU, Auburn, Colorado, A&M, K-State). Once our defense got lit up by the likes of Kansas, USC, and OSU, anything would look good. Besides, there were even times in the OU and A&M games where the defense had their (unfortunately) typical meltdowns. I didn’t see any real improvement in the defense throughout the season. IMHO.

1. We're in the middle of nowhere with COLD weather.

Eh, Lubbock, Stillwater, College Station, Happy Valley, Gainesville, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Blacksburg, South Bend, Ames, Manhattan, Athens -- many schools are in crappy little towns (no offense if you are from one of the above mentioned towns or if they are really nice, I'm generalizing) in the middle of no where and are either too cold in February or too hot in August. Win and recruit like crazy (not necessarily in that order) and you'll get top talent.

If it was all location, San Diego State would be dominating.

3. We're not Notre Dame, USC, Texas or Florida

What does this mean??? :wtf Yeah, we're Nebraska!!!

As much as we all think NU is on the same level as the schools listed most of the rest of the Nation does not. USC, Texas, Florida can all recruit and fill their teams with players from their own back yards. Notre Dame has more history then anyone and they all have fatter pockets then NU does. I may be wrong but I assume that is what he meant when he listed those schools. I could be wrong though.

3. We're not Notre Dame, USC, Texas or Florida

What does this mean??? :wtf Yeah, we're Nebraska!!!

As much as we all think NU is on the same level as the schools listed most of the rest of the Nation does not. USC, Texas, Florida can all recruit and fill their teams with players from their own back yards. Notre Dame has more history then anyone and they all have fatter pockets then NU does. I may be wrong but I assume that is what he meant when he listed those schools. I could be wrong though.

I know the West Coast offense is here to stay, and I think it will be okay. However, one of the problems with it is what many of you have said about recruiting. If you are a big, strong-armed quarterback, or a talented wide receiver, there might be a temptation to look first at USC or Texas, or Miami, or Notre Dame. In the past, when we ran the option, we were the best at running it (at least under Osborne). Back then we got good running backs from outside the state of Nebraska (Mike Rozier from New Jersey, LP from California, etc.) and any good backs from inside the state. We also got pretty much our pick of the option quarterbacks (Turner Gill from Texas, Steve Taylor from California, Tommie Frazier from Florida, Bobby Newcomb from New Mexico) Although Newcomb didn’t work out at QB he was yet another example of pulling the best option QB’s available from out of state. Hell, Donavan McNabb has said in interviews that the only reason he went to Syracuse was because Frazier was already at NU and he didn’t want to have to compete with him for a starting job.

The point is, when you are competing with the whole country for the same type of talent, the chance of losing out to a major school from a warmer climate, or to a school with a perceived better chance to win, is a strong likelihood. But, when you are one of the few big dogs running a particular type of offense (the option for example) and that type of talent comes along, where is it likely to end up? History seems to indicate that much of it ended up in Nebraska.

I know my rantings will not change us back to an option team, I am simply pointing out that we got what everyone seems to have wanted – a more passing oriented, pro-style offense. So now we have to compete with schools that were not as much of a problem in the past (yeah I know, Notre Dame recruited Tommie, I’m not saying we had no competition in recruiting, just less competition). Hopefully we win out and get what we need more often than not. Otherwise we run the risk of being forever relegated to the status of second tier.

I dont really think that we are losing out on better wide receivers or qbs bc texas has a better style offense or the same offense we do. We are losing out on them to texas bc they are ALL from the state of texas and they grow up dreaming of one day being able to play for the longhorns. Its close to home, they have all their family there and more than likely a lot of their teammates and friends are already on the team. The same with Miami, the vast majority of miamis recruits are probably from the state of florida. It is just so much easier to recruit when you are standing in a recruiting hot bed. Southern Cal, Florida schools, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, and the Texas schools have A LOT better chances of landing in state guys. With oklahoma being so close to texas it is also very easy for them to sneak in texas' back yard as well. Bottom line is that it ALL comes down to who is winning. Aside from the players that ONLY want to start right away, players want to go to the nfl. What better way of getting noticed than playing with great talent around you to make you look better than you are at times. You cant tell me that we would have had our pick of the option players had we not been as good as we were. Its not like Army and Navy get the pick of the litter bc they run an option offense. All we need is like two or three good seasons back to back and get good recruiting classes and athletes to set it off. If we start winning the players will come. I know this will probably going to set off the debate of Callahan being the one to lead us there, but oh well, I definatley think he is.

I dont really think that we are losing out on better wide receivers or qbs bc texas has a better style offense or the same offense we do. We are losing out on them to texas bc they are ALL from the state of texas and they grow up dreaming of one day being able to play for the longhorns. Its close to home, they have all their family there and more than likely a lot of their teammates and friends are already on the team. The same with Miami, the vast majority of miamis recruits are probably from the state of florida. It is just so much easier to recruit when you are standing in a recruiting hot bed. Southern Cal, Florida schools, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, and the Texas schools have A LOT better chances of landing in state guys. With oklahoma being so close to texas it is also very easy for them to sneak in texas' back yard as well. Bottom line is that it ALL comes down to who is winning. Aside from the players that ONLY want to start right away, players want to go to the nfl. What better way of getting noticed than playing with great talent around you to make you look better than you are at times. You cant tell me that we would have had our pick of the option players had we not been as good as we were. Its not like Army and Navy get the pick of the litter bc they run an option offense. All we need is like two or three good seasons back to back and get good recruiting classes and athletes to set it off. If we start winning the players will come. I know this will probably going to set off the debate of Callahan being the one to lead us there, but oh well, I definatley think he is.

husker1, once again, you totally missed the point.