QB Blaine Gabbert

If he commits or doesn't commit right now, it may not matter. It may take just one offer from another school that doesn't have a QB and the coach promises him an opportunity of starting his first year, like Josh Freeman. But then you never know. If he has fallen in love with NU and doesn't mind the competition, then we could get him. All I know is it's a long way to February.

If he commits or doesn't commit right now, it may not matter. It may take just one offer from another school that doesn't have a QB and the coach promises him an opportunity of starting his first year, like Josh Freeman. But then you never know. If he has fallen in love with NU and doesn't mind the competition, then we could get him. All I know is it's a long way to February.

Yep. I wish there was an early signing day. Might make the recruiting game more civil.

I'd really be impressed with Gabbert if he came here despite the competition. Let's face it, with Lee and Witt (who apparently has surpassed everyone's expectations), he would have a lot of work to do to win a starting spot.

But hey, look at USC. Think competition for spots helps them out?

Great point....with most kids, committing this early means you still need to actively recruit until February

I was reading an article on rivals about Gabbart and Crabtree was saying how Gabbart is not going to do interviews for a while and that he just wants to concentrate on his decision without any interuptions. He said that he is aware of the outstanding o-line class we have coming in and that is a huge reason why we have jumped up the charts for him. He also said that Nebraska is very much in the picture for him. Crabtree was also asked if this guy was going to be a high four star recruit and his response was "he is going to be a five star, he is the real deal". That is freakin great news! Could this possibly be the first five star quarterback nebraska has ever got since ratings were available? If he does come here can he be the starter by his soph. year? If so does that make Witt or Lee transfer? Do you guys think he would transfer if he doesnt start by his sophmore or junior seasons?

I was reading an article on rivals about Gabbart and Crabtree was saying how Gabbart is not going to do interviews for a while and that he just wants to concentrate on his decision without any interuptions. He said that he is aware of the outstanding o-line class we have coming in and that is a huge reason why we have jumped up the charts for him. He also said that Nebraska is very much in the picture for him. Crabtree was also asked if this guy was going to be a high four star recruit and his response was "he is going to be a five star, he is the real deal". That is freakin great news! Could this possibly be the first five star quarterback nebraska has ever got since ratings were available? If he does come here can he be the starter by his soph. year? If so does that make Witt or Lee transfer? Do you guys think he would transfer if he doesnt start by his sophmore or junior seasons?

With no promises made the best player will see the field. If a player doesn't want competition and is solely concerned with playing time there are lesser teams all around the country such as Tulsa and UTEP that would take a quality QB in a heartbeat. The top programs are filled with good\great athletes that finish second at a particular position. Yet if they stay with the team they can see the field with improved play or due to injury.

Ya I really think he ends up at Alabama, which is fine with me if he chooses not to come to NU. I do think the whole new system being put in is a big draw and the fact that Saban told him that it would be an open competition was a big plus in his mind. Gary Pinkel sucks and you would think that he realizes either Bama, or NU would be a better place for his future. Both NU and Bama have pro coaches who know how to get kids to the next level. NU has a TON of young talented receivers and o-linemen, but Saban will really put together good classes for a long time. I really think it comes down to the fact that we have a really good freshman and a really good soph. I dont even know what Bama has but I would think its not that. I also think it is going to come down to Bama and NU, Iowa isnt worth talking about, theyre overrated every year.

Latest I've heard is while he liked Alabama, it's still between us and Mizzou. I think early on it was a forgone conclusion that he was going to Mizzou, but we really impressed him. At this point I could see this one going either way. I would still put Mizzou in the lead, but not by much.

Bama isn't extremely deep at QB but they do have quality. Their returning starter John Parker Wilson will be a Junior this Fall. Then there are two sophomores including Greg McElroy who Nebraska was in the running for. The only scholarship QB in their 2007 recruiting class was Nic Fanuzzi.

Gabbert may be their marquee QB recruit target for 2008 but he would be ours as well. I think we have a chance.