QB Blaine Gabbert

From KC star:

Top QB recruit Gabbert hasn’t said yes to Mizzou yet

By MIKE DeARMOND

The Kansas City Star

COLUMBIA | Blaine Gabbert, poised to be the No. 1-ranked player in the state of Missouri and among the top three quarterbacks in the nation’s 2008 recruiting class, isn’t yet ready to say he’ll be a Missouri Tiger.

“I really couldn’t tell you an exact time or a date,” the 6-5 senior-to-be out of Ballwin’s Parkway West High, told The Star on Saturday about when he may commit to a school.

According to Rivals.com, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska and Alabama are at the top of Gabbert’s list. A lot of MU fans were hoping Gabbert would say he would be a Tiger on Saturday at Mizzou’s annual Black & Gold Spring Game. He just grinned and kept any decision to himself.

“I’ll know when I’m ready,” Gabbert said.

College coaches all over the country — Kansas and Kansas State have also shown interest — have wooed Gabbert, a prime dual-threat quarterback. Last season as a junior he hit 119 of 231 passes for 1,523 yards and 20 touchdowns, with seven interceptions. He also ran 59 times for 458 yards, 7.8 yards per carry, and for eight touchdowns.

Last Saturday, following Gabbert’s attendance at Nebraska’s spring game, the Internet erupted in speculation that Gabbert would be a Cornhusker. On Saturday, it was the same on Web sites about Missouri.

“Rumors fly up every day, and you’ve just got to take it,” Gabbert said. “You’ve just got to try to make it fun.”

_____________________________________________________________________________________

i put this up because it relates to a rumor i heard on another board. The poster is pretty well respected, but again this is just rumor so take it for what it's worth. Supposedly, the MU coaches were very worried by the fact that Gabbert didn't committ at their spring game. Word is that while he is a dual threat QB, he's looking towards the pros and wants in an offense that will best prepare him for that. Gabbert is a little tentative about MU for this reason, and may be waiting to see how their season goes. Unless he likes what he sees, the decision will be between NU and Alabama.

i agree, Pinkel is worthless, but Saban or Cally can teach him what he needs to know. i am worried though, that Saban may have the inside track on this kid. this is cally's big chance to land a highly rated qb, let's see if he can git 'er dun.

Callahan already landed a highly rated QB, his name was Harrison Beck. Just because he didn't pan out doesn't make it any less of a recruiting "get"

He also managed to get the #1 rated JUCO QB (who has 4 years to play 3) last year. Not to mention Patrick Witt, who may end up being the best of the lot.

I'm not sure why this is BC's "big chance" seeing as he's already shown the ability to land top flight QB's, but whatever.

I would definitely love to get Blaine, but to say he would be the first "highly rated" QB is just plain wrong.

i agree, Pinkel is worthless, but Saban or Cally can teach him what he needs to know. i am worried though, that Saban may have the inside track on this kid. this is cally's big chance to land a highly rated qb, let's see if he can git 'er dun.

Callahan already landed a highly rated QB, his name was Harrison Beck. Just because he didn't pan out doesn't make it any less of a recruiting "get"

He also managed to get the #1 rated JUCO QB (who has 4 years to play 3) last year. Not to mention Patrick Witt, who may end up being the best of the lot.

I'm not sure why this is BC's "big chance" seeing as he's already shown the ability to land top flight QB's, but whatever.

I would definitely love to get Blaine, but to say he would be the first "highly rated" QB is just plain wrong.

Beck was a bust, but yes, we got a top rated guy in Beck.

A JUCO qb is not a freshman "get".

Witt was not a highly rated or sought after guy by many teams , although he may turn out OK.

As an example, Pinkel has gotten better qbs (although he can't coach them) than Cally has since he has been here and that is disturbing given the program and facility at Mizzou. If he gets Blaine it will indeed be sad for us once again. I expect Blaine to land at Alabama with Saban.

Beck was a bust, but yes, we got a top rated guy in Beck.

A JUCO qb is not a freshman "get".

Witt was not a highly rated or sought after guy by many teams , although he may turn out OK.

As an example, Pinkel has gotten better qbs (although he can't coach them) than Cally has since he has been here and that is disturbing given the program and facility at Mizzou. If he gets Blaine it will indeed be sad for us once again. I expect Blaine to land at Alabama with Saban.

Since Callahan was hired:

2004: (Remember, Callahan had about a month to finish this class

Missouri: Chase Patton 4*

Darrell Jackson 3 * ----- Both from Missouri

Nebraska: Joe Ganz 2*

Beau Davis 2*

Jordan Adams 2*

2005:

Missouri: Chase Daniel 3*

Nebraska: Harrison Beck 4*

Zac Taylor 3*

2006:

Missouri: Dominic Grooms 3*

J.P. Tillman 3*

Nebraska: None (decommit from 4* Josh Freeman)

2007:

Missouri: None (Moye listed as "athlete" on Rivals)

Nebraska: Zac Lee 4*

Patrick Witt 3*

OK, so you stated "Pinkel has gotten better qbs (although he can't coach them) than Cally has since he has been here" -- That is just plain WRONG! I don't care how you define "better" more productive? more stars? Zac Taylor was just as productive (wins-wise) as Daniel and both were "rated" the same. Callahan has gotten more 4* (2) than Pinkel (1)

I'm not sure why you seem to completely dismiss Zach Lee as a "get" just because he is a JUCO. He only has one less year of eligibility than a high school kid. And while Chase Daniel has certainly put up more numbers as a QB than Patrick Witt (hasn't had a chance) they were both rated as 3*

Sorry Hunter, I don't know how you can actually believe Pinkel has done a better job recruiting QB's. I suppose if you want to completely dismiss Zac Taylor because he was a JUCO (although he was Big 12 offensive player of the year) you could make that argument, but why the hell does it matter if he was a high school kid or a JUCO if they contribute?

And Finally, Callahan doesn't have the luxury of "highly rated" QB's in his backyard. Pinkel's only 4* was from Missouri (as is Gabbert). I will guarentee you that if Nebraska has a "highly rated" pro-style QB in the next couple years, BC will get him.

On big-red wrap-up last night Trevor Robinson was on the phone. He said is is getting pretty close to Blaine, he said that Alabama is the team to beat

He seems like a fit for the Missouri offense with what he does now, he could fit in at NU with his potential. I am not sure what kind of offense Alabama will run, but Saban is one hell of a recruiter.

I remember reading on one of Okl's boards that they were wondering how many qb's does Nebraska need, after Zac Lee signed with us. Okl really wanted him. They didn't let on much during the recruiting period but the reaction of some of their board members after we got him , let the cat out of the bag. Callahan seems to be doing alright getting some very good qb's commit.

GBR!!!