Wanting Stoops?

I heard that, too, that Bill Byrne wanted to hire Bob Stoops. Do any of you think that would have been a good hire? As good of a coach Mr. Stoops is, don't you think he would had fixed a program at the time that as far as from being broken as any program could be? We just came off sharing the NC with Michigan. We perhaps had the top program in the country. At the time we had great talent that fit the system. Stoops, at least on offense, would had set back the program many years. He would had started from scratch. He wasn't and still isn't an option/power running style of coach. (Unfortunately, Solich, who was hired to keep the system going, broke it to some degree.)

So if they had a search committee, you would have thought they would look for someone who would best utilize the talent that was there. Someone who would liked to run the option and utililizing power running. Perhaps Mac Brown would have been more likely to keep the old offense going than Bob Stoops?

Many peope who post on this board think the option running offense is dead in college football. If that is the case, why in the hell would we have wanted to hire a coach that would have kept it? IMO, Mack Brown is not a great coach and sometimes I don't even think he's a good coach. He's had one of the most talented teams year in and year out and somehow found ways to lose with superior talent. He had one great season, but that had a lot more to do with Vince Young than his coaching. Now in Mack's defense, I don't think he'll be bolting anytime soon for the NFL. More than likely, he'll end up retiring at Texas.

Stoops is a defensive minded coach, so I don't know how you can say he would have totally scrapped the offense. Stoops runs whatever offense that works the best that year. The year they one the NC, he did sling the ball around a lot. However with AP, he's been running a power running attack offense. He'll run whatever offense that best fits his personnell. OU in 2006 was the second youngest team in D1 football. He made a BCS game with them. He was one call away from maybe playing for a NC. Again IMO, he does more with less than Mack Brown does.

Btw, my coaching hire desire was Butch Davis. However, he was still in the pros the year we made a coaching change. If we'd have stuck it out one more year, we probably could have gotten him. I'm still puzzled why he went to North Carolina. I'm sure they'd have given him his old job back at Miami.

Does anyone else think Stoops would have kept the old offense going if he was hired? Anything is possible, but we will never know.

Sir, you may be correct that Brown isn't a great coach, but I disagree with you about him not being a good coach. At the very least, Brown is a very good, solid coach. With talent or no talent, you still have to coach, and he had his share of 10 win seasons. However, you may be right that Vince Young had more to do with UT winning the NC than Brown. Yes, I would rank Stoops ahead of Brown, but I wouldn't say Brown isn't a good coach.

Which top coach do you think, outside of the Husker program, would most likely had kept the old offense going?

Many peope who post on this board think the option running offense is dead in college football. If that is the case, why in the hell would we have wanted to hire a coach that would have kept it? IMO, Mack Brown is not a great coach and sometimes I don't even think he's a good coach. He's had one of the most talented teams year in and year out and somehow found ways to lose with superior talent. He had one great season, but that had a lot more to do with Vince Young than his coaching. Now in Mack's defense, I don't think he'll be bolting anytime soon for the NFL. More than likely, he'll end up retiring at Texas.

Stoops is a defensive minded coach, so I don't know how you can say he would have totally scrapped the offense. Stoops runs whatever offense that works the best that year. The year they one the NC, he did sling the ball around a lot. However with AP, he's been running a power running attack offense. He'll run whatever offense that best fits his personnell. OU in 2006 was the second youngest team in D1 football. He made a BCS game with them. He was one call away from maybe playing for a NC. Again IMO, he does more with less than Mack Brown does.

Btw, my coaching hire desire was Butch Davis. However, he was still in the pros the year we made a coaching change. If we'd have stuck it out one more year, we probably could have gotten him. I'm still puzzled why he went to North Carolina. I'm sure they'd have given him his old job back at Miami.

So Stoops changes his offense around his players and talent instead of making his players fit his offense.

The media speculation is he burnt too many bridges at Miami. Pretty much stinking it up in Cleveland and sitting out for awhile didn't help his chances at other major colleges.

Also, remember that Mack Brown came from UNC. It probably wasn't hard for Butch to see a future career path if he can turn things around there.

Does anyone else think Stoops would have kept the old offense going if he was hired? Anything is possible, but we will never know.

Sir, you may be correct that Brown isn't a great coach, but I disagree with you about him not being a good coach. At the very least, Brown is a very good, solid coach. With talent or no talent, you still have to coach, and he had his share of 10 win seasons. However, you may be right that Vince Young had more to do with UT winning the NC than Brown. Yes, I would rank Stoops ahead of Brown, but I wouldn't say Brown isn't a good coach.

Which top coach do you think, outside of the Husker program, would most likely had kept the old offense going?

You might be right that Mack Brown is a good coach. It's hard to debate his record. However, my dislike for the man and questioning his coaching ability comes from how he treated Major Applewhite with regards to his fair haired darling Simms. It was easy to see which QB was the superior QB in crunchtime. Applewhite was brought in several times to bail out Simms after he'd struggled miserably. If I remember right, Applewhite was the MVP of their bowl game his senior year after being brought in at half when Simms had all but completely given the game away. Mack Brown more than likely would have won a NC several years before he did if he just would have played Applewhite rather than Simms. Go look at the statistics in the Red River Shootout. Simms averaged like nearly 4 INT's. Applewhite was a gamer, and Mack Brown totally hosed him.

As far as your question about which coach would have kept the old offense, some come to mind. I believe Stoops would have kept it for a while at least. You're probably right that Mack Brown would have run it. Dennis Franchione more than likely would have kept the power running game. Lou Holtz always liked the athletic QB and power running game. Urban Meyer like the spread option, so he more than likely would have kept quite a bit of the offense in tact except for upgrading the receiver corp. Bill Snyder liked the option, so I'm sure he would have kept it. I'm sure there are others, but that's all I can think of at this time.

So Stoops changes his offense around his players and talent instead of making his players fit his offense.

Did Stoops run the option his first year since that is the Offensive Talent he had? I say no. He went out and got a Juco Qb to throw the ball around. Also does Quentin Griffen ring a bell? They have always been a balanced offensive team and that hasn't change even with Peterson at RB and Thompson at QB. Jason White threw the ball all over teh field the same year that Peterson ran for 1900 yards. Don't act like they just turned and handed the ball off to Peterson.

Did Stoops run the option his first year since that is the Offensive Talent he had? I say no. He went out and got a Juco Qb to throw the ball around. Also does Quentin Griffen ring a bell? They have always been a balanced offensive team and that hasn't change even with Peterson at RB and Thompson at QB. Jason White threw the ball all over teh field the same year that Peterson ran for 1900 yards. Don't act like they just turned and handed the ball off to Peterson.

Uh yeah.....Whatever you are talking about u must be right :point