Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Bid Red Report:

Assessing the talent: Per: Parkston standout thinking football

Parkston standout thinking football

By Stu Whitney

swhitney@argusleader.com

Published: February 27, 2007

Parkston heavyweight Riley Reiff is on his way to becoming one of the most dominant high school wrestlers in South Dakota history.

But, the junior's mat career will likely end when he graduates from high school in 2008.

The 6-foot-6, 235-pound Reiff - who led Parkston to the Class B state wrestling title over the weekend - is a highly recruited defensive end who said Monday he plans to play football in college.

It makes sense, since Reiff's name popped up this month on the Rivals250 list - which showcases the nation's top football recruiting prospects for 2008.

Scholarship offers have already rolled in, and Reiff said he's focused on Big Ten and Big 12 programs. Though it's still early, the schools most mentioned as his suitors are Iowa, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas State, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

"The coaches can't have contact with me yet, but I've gotten a lot of letters and text-messages," says Reiff, an Argus Leader Elite 45 pick as a junior, despite missing four games to injury.

"I want to wait as long as I can and check everything out, so I make the right decision."

Right now, Reiff and the rest of the Trojans are more concerned with enjoying their second state wrestling title in four years. Parkston tallied 1321/4 points to hold off second-place Wagner (123) at the Class B meet in Aberdeen on Saturday

Reiff led the way with his third straight individual crown and second straight perfect season, finishing 32-0 by topping Kyle Sybesma of Sunshine Bible Academy by technical fall in the 285-pound finals.

Since finishing fifth in the state as an eighth-grader in 2004, Reiff's only high school loss came during his freshman year to former Garretson state champion Tyler Sorenson.

He crushed most foes this season, twice pinning Class A heavyweight champ Jake Michalson of Sturgis. Along the way, Reiff dealt with hostile crowds and upset-hungry challengers, neither of which rattled him.

"There's pressure being on top, and the state meet just adds to it," says Parkston wrestling coach Herb Harris. "But he thrives on that. Every time he goes on the mat, he knows he's going to get the other guy's best effort."

Asked whether Reiff would excel more in college football or wrestling, Harris wisely stayed away from the debate.

"He's built for both," he said.

Odds of Becoming a Cornhusker:

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

• 2 months later...