OL Bryce Givens

BC has no excuses now. He had better get one of the top QBs.

If you can look past the "stars" and the hype I think Patrick Witt is going to be a very, very good QB. Just because the all-knowing recruiting services didn't have him as one of the "top QB's" doesn't mean he won't end up as one.

Also, Zack Lee was the "top" JUCO QB in the country and has 4 years to play 3.

From the Journal Star:

Another o-lineman for class of '08

Bryce Givens, a 6-foot-6, 265-pound offensive tackle from Mullen, Colo., provides a laundry list of reasons why he chose to accept Nebraska's scholarship offer (he informed NU coaches around noon Tuesday).

Det Betti, offensive line coach at Mullen High School, provides a long list of reasons why Nebraska fans might be excited by the news.

"The kid is a 3.6 student -- we call him The Professor," Betti said. "On the football field, he plays with an attitude that as a coach you love to embrace. He's got that nasty attitude. He keeps it between the whistles, but he's very aggressive. You just love to watch him play."

As for Givens' frame, "There's no fat," the coach said. "Coaches come in here and start drooling."

Givens, who helped lead Mullen to a 13-1 record last year in the state's largest class, said he verbally committed to NU now in part because the Huskers' o-line slots are filling fast.

Indeed, the future of the Pipeline -- with four current high-profile commits and a young crop already on campus -- looks extremely promising.

The O-line class has to be about sewed up.

In one of the Trevor Robinson articles Robinson had been told NU would take 5 with this class. So that one more would be a cherry on top!!

I think Aaron Shulte (greyshirt from last year) is the 5th. Not sure though, we're still in on some nice OL. Wouldn't mind us offering Givens' teammate Jimmy Miller as a center. This is shaping up to be a very very nice OL class, best in the nation in all likelihood.

NU Football: Huskers add O-line recruit with growing potential

BY RICH KAIPUST

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - When he was 10 or 11, doctors told Bryce Givens that it was possible that he would grow to be 6-foot-10.

Givens doesn't necessarily want to be hitting that height when he joins the Nebraska football team in August of 2008. His most recent measurements have him at 6-61/2 and 258 pounds.

"Hopefully that doesn't happen," he said. "Maybe another inch or two would be OK. But I definitely have the frame to put on a little more weight and get quite a bit bigger."

Givens on Tuesday became the fourth offensive lineman to commit to NU for its 2008 signing class. The junior from Mullen High in Denver called Husker recruiting coordinator Ted Gilmore on Tuesday to say he would follow Baker Steinkuhler, Dan Hoch and Trevor Robinson to Lincoln.

"Definitely I wanted to be part of that group," said Givens, ranked as a preseason Top 100 prospect by Scout.com. "That's awesome right there. A bunch of people and a bunch of coaches have been telling me this could be one of the best offensive-line classes in college football in recent years. That really excited me."

Givens played tackle last season as Mullen High went 13-0 before losing to Columbine in the Class 5-A championship game. Mullen's roster included seven seniors who signed Division I-A letters-of-intent in February, and now two juniors who have accepted I-A offers.

Givens said it was down to Nebraska and Michigan before picking the Huskers. Colorado was among a dozen other schools to offer the son of Brian Givens, who bounced around minor league baseball for 10 years before pitching for the Milwaukee Brewers in 1995 and 1996.

Nebraska might have benefited from Texas telling Bryce Givens it already had filled its offensive line spots for 2008. Givens is close to Mullen teammate Nolan Brewster, a safety who already has committed to the Longhorns.

"Me and Nolan talked about going to the same college all the time," Givens said. "Coach (Greg) Davis said that he and Coach (Mack) Brown really liked my tape a lot, but unfortunately all their O-Line spots were taken.

"I think it turned out for the best. I'm ready to be a Husker."

Of the four offensive line recruits, all stand at least 6-5. The tallest players on NU's spring roster are 6-7 Lydon Murtha, Zach Potter and Victory Haines.

owh

NU nabs another offensive lineman

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2007 - 12:09:56 am CDT

Bryce Givens felt a sense of urgency as he mulled whether to accept Nebraska’s football scholarship offer.

After all, three high-profile prep offensive linemen already had verbally committed to the Huskers’ class of 2008.

Tuesday, Givens became the fourth.

A 6-foot-6, 265-pound tackle from Mullen High in Denver, Givens appears on Scout.com’s list of the nation’s top 100 prospects. He turned down scholarship offers from Colorado, UCLA, Kansas State, Louisville, Michigan, Minnesota and Vanderbilt, among others.

Advertisement

“I figured, why not pull the trigger and join those other guys?” Givens said. “I’m just making sure I have a spot (in the recruiting class).“

Givens becomes part of a crop of Nebraska offensive line commitments that has national recruiting analysts buzzing. The Huskers’ previous O-line commitments came from Dan Hoch, a 6-6, 295-pound standout from Harlan, Iowa; Trevor Robinson, a 6-5, 300-pound star at Elkhorn High School; and Baker Steinkuhler, a 6-6, 290-pound player at Lincoln Southwest.

Steinkuhler also is in Scout.com’s national top 100.

“Joining those guys is an honor,” Givens said.

Det Betti, the offensive line coach at Mullen, said Givens has a bright future in football.

“The kid is a 3.6 student — we call him 'The Professor,'” Betti said. “On the football field, he plays with an attitude that as a coach you love to embrace. He’s got that nasty attitude. He keeps it between the whistles, but he’s very aggressive. You just love to watch him play.“

As for Givens’ frame, “There’s no fat,” the coach said. “(College) coaches come in here and start drooling.“

Givens last season helped lead Mullen to a 13-1 record, the loss coming in the Class 5A championship game. He provides a laundry list of reasons why he chose Nebraska.

“Nebraska is a great institution for academics,” he said. “The fan support there is huge. And as far as Coach (Bill) Callahan and his staff, I’m really excited about them. We just have a good bond. I like them a lot, and they seem to like me a lot.“

Givens also likes the idea of attending a college relatively close to his home, he said.

Nebraska receivers coach Ted Gilmore and offensive line coach Dennis Wagner played the lead roles in Givens’ recruitment.

The Huskers technically now have five offensive linemen committed to their class of 2008, because Aaron Schulte of Norfolk ultimately will count toward the 2008 class. The 6-6, 320-pound Schulte committed to the 2007 class, but is delaying his enrollment at NU until this coming January.

Givens has high hopes for the future Nebraska offensive line and the program in general.

“I think within the next couple of years Nebraska will win a national championship for sure,” he said.

Reach Steven M. Sipple at 473-7440 or ssipple@journalstar.com.

I watched some rivals footage of him yesterday. He has awesome pass blocking skills, and very solid technique!!!!! :bonez

And check out who he is going against in some of that film. It's none other than Mr. 5-star Ryan Miller, Bryce absolutely destroys him a couple of times.