gardener snakes

how does one get rid of gardner snakes?? (sp) :ahhhhhhhh

I found one in my basement..'bout peed my pants.. the hubby took it outside but how do I know there isn't more??? He says there isn't but...

Any quick fixes or home remedies?? And my house this isn't a farm house. I live is the 'burbs. Help please!!! Will moth balls around the perimeter work in this case?? I thought I read that somewhere... :ahhhhhhhh I hate snakes... Come on guys, I know your lady folk don't like them none either...

garter snakes. very common, perhaps the most common, reptile in america. i dont know much about getting rid of them because they usually only go inside to stay warm at night. you might want to look for small cracks in your house, or perhaps they got in through an open door. ive never found one in my own house before. sorry.

how does one get rid of gardner snakes?? (sp) :ahhhhhhhh

I found one in my basement..'bout peed my pants.. the hubby took it outside but how do I know there isn't more??? He says there isn't but...

Any quick fixes or home remedies?? And my house this isn't a farm house. I live is the 'burbs. Help please!!! Will moth balls around the perimeter work in this case?? I thought I read that somewhere... :ahhhhhhhh I hate snakes... Come on guys, I know your lady folk don't like them none either...

Leave them alone! They dont hurt anything. Infact they are a very helpful critter. If you prefer mice and rats and bugs then by all means kill it. The worst thing the will do to you is crap a foul smelling stuff on you when you pick them up. GIVE A SNAKE A BREAK.

You might want to reconsider getting rid of it - they are non-venemous and they will definately keep the basement free of rodents...

Beat me to it...I was going to give her another pleasant thought by mentioning that maybe they are coming inside to hunt the mice that are scurrying around the house.

Oh and just remember. When, I mean IF, you find a bull snake in your house....they are also non-venemous despite being 3 or 4 feet long.

You might want to reconsider getting rid of it - they are non-venemous and they will definately keep the basement free of rodents...

Beat me to it...I was going to give her another pleasant thought by mentioning that maybe they are coming inside to hunt the mice that are scurrying around the house.

Oh and just remember. When, I mean IF, you find a bull snake in your house....they are also non-venemous despite being 3 or 4 feet long.

Bull snakes are interesting. I've seen some that try to imitate a rattler. They coil up with the tip of their tail in the air and try to make a rattling sound. Then they will get their head up and try to strike at you. Sometimes from a distance it's hard to tell the difference.

I miss Garter snakes.

Out here. about all you see is Rattlers..

When I 1st moved out here..I was running down a mountainside with my dog, and thought I heard a sprinkler going off, looked down and saw a diamondback coiled between my feet..

I scored a 67" verticle jump that day...Landed about 25' further down the mountain. :madash and made my Siberian Husky laugh.

Weeks later, I tried catching what I later found out was a Gila Monster near the same spot..Saw a Picture in the paper a week later of a guy that had his little finger chewed off by one he tried to catch in a pillowcase..they even fined him $500

I miss Garter snakes.

When I 1st moved out here..I was running down a mountainside with my dog, and thought I heard a sprinkler going off, looked down and saw a diamondback coiled between my feet..

I scored a 67" verticle jump that day...Landed about 25' further down the mountain. :madash and made my Siberian Husky laugh.

Weeks later, I tried catching what I later found out was a Gila Monster near the same spot..Saw a Picture in the paper a week later of a guy that had his little finger chewed off by one he tried to catch in a pillowcase..they even fined him $500

Haha, you scored a 67' vertical jump that day?? :clap Thanks for making me laugh out loud there. I needed that. I take it the snake didn't bite ya?

I miss Garter snakes.

Haha, you scored a 67' vertical jump that day?? :clap Thanks for making me laugh out loud there. I needed that. I take it the snake didn't bite ya?

67 INCHES..Not feet...The re-entry woulda been killer.

The snake missed me but I did use the term, "Mommy" for the 1st time ever..or at least since I was outa diapers (I think)..It was in midflight that I realized I was as afraid of Rattlers as I am of Bees.

Probably why my Husky was laughing so hard.

I got her back, though..I put her rope/leash on her and went over with a tree branch to play with the snake..Suddenly, she let out a loud yelp (pretending to get bit?) as she was behind me..Turned out, she had a jumping cholla halfway inbedded in her ankle..I backed into her, stepping on her foot getting it deeper.

Carried her back to the apartment a mile away and had to use pliers to get it out..but she DID stop laughing.

awwww dont be afraid of a little harmless snake :) i get them around all the time here.

just make your husband check again before you go into the basement ;):P

Thanks Nicole, I do make him check before I go down there even though he wouldn't tell me if he saw a snake. I hate mice and snakes. Snakes outside are one thing , and I do the happy dance when he gets them with the lawnmower but when they come into in my domain that is another story.

I know it's silly to be afraid of somethng that will not hurt me but...they are still snakes and do not belong in my home. Basement or otherwise. I'm in the middle of the freakin town for gods sake!!!!! The snakes should be gone!!! Although the property on which we biult our house, and the rest of the subdivision, used to be farmland... Yes, I live in one of those cutter cutter neighborhooods and am not liking it so much. So crowded, and busy.