40 time: 4.5

Visit Date:

Scholarships offered: Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Kansas State

Favorites: Signed with Nebraska

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals:

Bid Red Report:

Assessing the talent:

Odds of becoming a Cornhusker: 100% Wow, out of nowhere. Looks to have great size and speed. Coach Wyatt pulls in a good one early.

Nebraska receives pledge from Titan DB Whitmore

By Dave Rogers

The Port Arthur News

Even had he wanted to, Memorial High cornerback David Whitmore couldn’t avoid the spotlight last fall.

“He got picked on a lot last year because Barry was on the other side,” Titan defensive coordinator Curtis Viola said, referring to Barry Valcin, the honorable mention all-stater who landed a scholarship to Baylor.

“And all Whitmore did was make plays.”

College recruiters noticed. The Nebraska University Cornhuskers made an early 2008 scholarship offer to the 6-foot-2, 170-pound junior and the son of a former NFL player accepted Thursday.

“I think it’s a good school for me to go to,” Whitmore said of Nebraska, which finished 9-5 last year with a trip to the Cotton Bowl. “I like Nebraska.”

Whitmore’s father, also David Whitmore, was an All-American safety for Stephen F. Austin State’s 1989 National Division I-AA championship runnerup. He was drafted by and played for the New York Giants in Super Bowl XXV, spending all or parts of six NFL seasons with the Giants, San Francisco 49ers, Kansas City Chiefs and Philadelphia Eagles.

Memorial’s Whitmore was a second-team All-District 21-5A pick last year. He made 54 solo tackles and 36 assists. He broke up 13 passes and intercepted two. He runs a 4.5 40-yard dash.

“He’s got a tremendous work ethic and a great attitude,” Viola said. “He has great feet and great hips. On top of that, he’s 6-2 and he’s got long arms.

“With receivers getting bigger and taller, you’re starting to get taller corners. And a corner that can run, has good hips and good feet, you don’t see that too often. These 6-4 and 6-5 receivers, he matches up real good with that.”

Viola said Nebraska’s coaches spotted Whitmore on game tapes obtained from a third party.

“A lot of colleges pay and get a whole bunch of high school games (on tape or DVD),” he said. “I don’t know if we actually sent them a film of David or not. Two weeks ago, a guy from Nebraska called me and asked me about him.

“He said they really liked him. He showed it to the defensive backfield coach up there and they really liked him. They were going to show him to coach Callahan (head coach Bill Callahan). I guess coach Callahan really liked him.”

In previous years, Memorial’s Jamaal Charles and Robert Joseph committed early to the University of Texas and Danny Gorrer to Texas A&M.

This year, Whitmore is the second South or Mid-County football player to commit early, joining Nederland’s Dravannti Johnson, who committed to Texas A&M. Beaumont Central’s Derrick Hall has also pledged to sign with A&M and West Brook’s Michael Williams (Baylor) and Blake Chavis (A&M) and Kelly’s Kheeston Randall (Texas) have also made early commitments.

The verbal commitments are non-binding. Players cannot sign until next February.

http://www.panews.com/sports/local_story_1...eyword=topstory

• 1 month later...

whitmore move into the texas top 100 into 43rd place previusly unranked this is good news. the guy in last years in the 43rd place was a 3* 5.7 rivals rating but a guy only 5 positions up was a 4* so looks like he was a better get than we first thought or at least a tribute to the ability of our staff to find good players no one knows about.