SIGNED: CB David Whitmore

chuckd

But is he truly commited? Or is he still considered soft?

He was considered a soft commit on scout until now. He reassured them of his commitment to us and says he's solid. Good to hear and lets hope it sticks.

Wont believe a single thiing this kid says until he signs. He'll bail as soon as someone down South offers.

But is he truly commited? Or is he still considered soft?

He was considered a soft commit on scout until now. He reassured them of his commitment to us and says he's solid. Good to hear and lets hope it sticks.

Wont believe a single thiing this kid says until he signs. He'll bail as soon as someone down South offers.

I know what you mean. He continues to say he's committed, Nebraska is the place blah blah blah...but I see what you're saying. It seems like he's not very up front or bold with what he says. More of a beat around the bush type when he discusses his committment. Maybe he's just not that well spoken...who knows.

• 3 weeks later...

:star:star:star at Rivals (don't think I noticed that before so perhaps it is recent). Rivals also lists him as "soft verbal". What does it take to convince him that Nebraska is the future!? I don't want another David Ross here...

I've heard else where that we are more or less his second choice. So long as LSU doesn't offer, he will be coming here.

Has he even actually visited or anything like that? I agree with the general feeling here that he will leave as soon as LSU offers, but if we can get him here on a visit for say, the USC game, there is a chance that he might be more solid with this choice.

• 5 weeks later...

Whitmore, defense spark Titans at CS

By Dave Rogers

The Port Arthur News

COLLEGE STATION – So much for the notion of scouting in 7-on-7 football.

Opponents kept challenging Port Arthur Memorial cornerback David Whitmore Friday and the lanky senior responded with four pass interceptions as defense carried the day for the Titans in first-day action at the FSN Southwest State 7-on-7 Championship at Texas A&M University.

Memorial knocked off defending state 7-on-7 champ Colleyville Heritage 35-7 in its first game Friday afternoon and went on to tie for first in its four-team pool and advance to Saturday’s 32-team championship bracket.

Beaumont West Brook went 1-2 in its pool, but won the total-points tiebreaker after finishing in a three-way tie for second and also advanced to the championship bracket.

Single-elimination action begins this morning with the 32-team consolation bracket starting at 8 a.m. and the 32-team championship bracket at 9 a.m.

West Orange-Stark, the other area team competing here and the only one in the Class 3A-2A-A small school tournament that wrapped up Friday, went 1-1 in its second day of play. The Mustangs tied for fifth after losing in the quarterfinal round to eventual state runnerup Crane.

Having already accepted an early scholarship offer to play in 2008 for Nebraska University, Whitmore is currently the most highly touted college prospect in a program known for its talented athletes.

A look at Texas Football Magazine or any recruiting website should convince opponents to aim their passes to the other side of the field.

“I don’t know what is going on,” said Whitmore, the son of a former NFL defensive back. “But they can keep throwing it at me and I’ll keep making plays.”

Whitmore’s two second-half picks against Colleyville Heritage turned what had been a tense game at halftime into a blowout.

The Titans led 14-7 at the break, but only after surviving an officiating error that gave Heritage an extra down. The Titans stopped that extra Panther play at the 2-yard line as the horn sounded ending the half.

“We’ve got a lot of stamina out there,” Whitmore said of his team’s strong second half against Heritage, in which the Titans pitched a shutout for all four of the Panthers’ offensive possessions.

Alternating Port Arthur quarterbacks Harry Brown and Jarael Alexander combined for five touchdown passes against Colleyville Heritage and a total of 14 in their team’s three pool games.

But the Titan offense sputtered in a 28-19 loss to Katy Cinco Ranch in the day’s second game. After the two QBs combined to hit 32 of 41 passes for 274 yards in the opener, they were a combined 19 of 35 for 213 yards and just three scores.

Brown also suffered the day’s only interception against Memorial in the loss to Cinco Ranch.

Memorial bounced back in the day’s finale, though. The Titans scored the first six times they had the ball and with Whitmore’s third and fourth pass thefts of the day igniting a four-interception game by Port Arthur, the result was a 36-14 rout of Bryan.

“Coach Harrison told us we’d have our ups and downs,” Brown said, referring to Titan offensive coordinator Kenny Harrison. “Just one time we had a down (against Cinco Ranch).

“Our motto is ‘Family.’ A family pulls together. We pulled together in the last game and did real good.”

Heritage pulled it together for a final-game 35-28 defeat of Cinco Ranch which left Memorial, Cinco Ranch and Heritage tied for first in their pool with 2-1 records. But the Panthers were kicked to the consolation bracket because they came up third in the first tiebreaker: total points scored.

After Arlington Lamar’s perfect 3-0, Katy Taylor, San Benito and West Brook all had 1-2 records in that four-team pool. The Bruins, who combined for 99 points in three games, won the tiebreaker for second.

West Brook put a 51-18 beating on Katy Taylor in their second game, a relief considering close losses to San Benito (32-27) and Arlington Lamar (28-21). The Bruins blew a two-touchdown lead against San Benito.

“In ‘real’ football when we’re up by two touchdowns, I’d just hand it to one of my two all-state running backs,” and run out the clock, West Brook coach Craig Stump said of his Albert Williams and Christan Michael. “You can’t do that here,” in 7-on-7.

West Orange-Stark could have used a similar strategy when it was leading Crane 26-14 at the half. Crane came back for a 40-32 win and went on to defeat Mabank 51-49 in double overtime before losing to Celina, 28-21, in the first small school championship game.

WO-S’ Mustangs, who were 1-2 in pool play, went 2-1 in elimination games, including a 31-15 win over Harper to open play Friday.

Memorial’s quarterbacks each took two series in a row during the day and the outcomes were fairly even. Brown completed 31 of 48 passes for 387 yards and six touchdowns. Alexander connected on 40 of 60 for 378 yards and eight scores.

Running back Patterson Clay was the busiest receiver, with 22 catches for 171 yards and two scores. His 10 catches against Colleyville Heritage were the most in a game for the Titans.

Wide receiver Freddie King had the only 100-yard game with 107 yards and two touchdowns on five catches against Bryan. King had 11 catches for the day. Teammates Glenn Windon and Solomon Jones had 14 and 12 catches, respectively. Jalonzo Thomas caught only seven passes but the 6-foot-4 receiver made four of the good for TDs.

Besides Whitmore’s four pickoffs, linebacker Richard Wycoff and nickel back James Levine each had interceptions against Bryan. Marquee Brisco picked off a conversion pass.

FSN Southwest State 7-on-7 Championship

Friday’s results

Class 3A-2A-A

WO-S 31, Harper 15

Crane 40, WO-S 32

Class 4A-5A

PA Memorial 35, Colleyville Heritage 7

Katy Cinco Ranch 28, PA Memorial 19

PA Memorial 36, Bryan 14

San Benito 32, West Brook 27

West Brook 51, Katy Taylor 18

Arlington Lamar 28, West Brook 21