Big 12 doesn't get respect

I for one get real tired of the Big 12 being listed as the third or fourth best conference in the country. Granted, the North was down for a couple of years there, but if you look at it now, we have BY FAR the second-best conference in the country in my opinion.

Nebraska and Mizzou will both be good (possibly great in NU's case) teams in the North, and the South is absolutely loaded with strong teams in Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech to pair with the big 2 of OU and UT. That's seven teams that range from good to dominant, which is more than can be said about the Big 10 or the ACC. All the Big 10 had was Michigan-OSU-Wisconsin, and the ACC was a conference that had a few solid 9-to-10 win teams, but that was mostly a result of having nobody rise up and claim their spot as the best in the conference. Most people wouldnt even know who won the conference championship without looking it up (Wake Forest beat Georgia Tech to win it).

I've always thought that the eastern media had a bias against the Huskers, but now it seems like it's against the whole conference. They point to horrible teams like CU and ISU, but every conference is going to have a few whipping boys, so I dont know why they point out ours but dont look at the lower schools in other conferences (Like Illinois in the Big 10 or Duke/UNC in the ACC). Either way, it gets old.

I agree with you on the quality wins thing. Our games against USC and Wake, as well as KSU's against Auburn and Fresno State will go a long way in determining if we are going to have a long fall of Big-12 bashing. Oklahoma plays host to the Miami Hurricanes the week before we get USC, so that'll be huge as well.

i think that SEC is better and big 10 is pretty close to big 12, pac 10 isn't that good but the best confernce is definetly the swac, just kidding, sorry posted twice on accident

Before takin' the SEC Kool-aid, here's a little stat for you. During the past 4-5 seasons, the SEC is 0-7 when playing BCS teams on the road. the SEC is over hyped.

Think about National Title contenders MOST YEARS for every conference:

Pac 10 - USC, (Cal, UCLA?)

Big 11 - Michigan, OSU (Penn St, Wisconsin, Iowa?)

Big East - none (WVU, Louisville?)

ACC - Florida State, Miami (VA Tech, Clemson?)

Big 12 - Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska

SEC - Florida, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas

The teams not mentioned usually don't compete for even conference titles most years. Last year was a really bad year for the Big 12. You look at the Big East, they had 3 teams in the running for a national title game until the last couple of weeks of the season. The Big 11 had 2 teams that could have met in the title game and a 3rd that an argument could have been made for.

I understand the passion and preference for the Big 12 as much as the next Husker fan, but just like Hunter said, the teams have to show up and beat quality opponents and win games that matter in order to get recognition.

Its hard to compare the conferences because each one brings a different type of football to the table. I don't think anyone can say that overall the SEC isn't the best at the current time, but don't fret, it's a vicious circle that will come back our way soon. It wasn't too long ago that the Big 12 was top dog (2004 SI).

Its hard to compare the conferences because each one brings a different type of football to the table. I don't think anyone can say that overall the SEC isn't the best at the current time, but don't fret, it's a vicious circle that will come back our way soon. It wasn't too long ago that the Big 12 was top dog (2004 SI).

Do you agree or did you accidentally quote me?

and boy, the tough thing about the SEC, this year they had (according to rivals) 7 of the top 10 recruiting classes........7 of the top 10!! that is tough to beat going forward, those schools and their programs are big and the kids have so much speed and talent down there, that conference will always be a tough one in my eyes. hard to get kids out of the south at all!

I would like to add something to the "who is the best conference". I am a USC guy, and I agree with the East Coast bias stuff. I think the PAC 10 doesn't get the credit they should, and Notre Dame gets more than they deserve. When you compare conferences what is your standard? For example, if you asked what is the world's tallest building, you could legitimately get three correct, verifiable, answers. The reason is that there are three standards used. One measures to the tallest occupied floor. Another standard measures to the top of the building. The final one measures to the top of the structure, i.e. towers on the top. You can look at football conferences the same three (or more!) ways. This past year (not necessarily always) my bias is the PAC 10 as the best conference. I think the top three teams last year in the PAC 10, (USC, Cal, & Oregon State) were as good as the top three in any conference at the end of the year. For example, the smear the PAC-10 gets every year is they are finesse, but not physical. Well, Cal handled "physical" Texas A&M handily in their bowl this past season. Yet Stanford ranks down there with Duke in the ACC . The best team in North Carolina wasn't even in the ACC, it was Appalachian State. I do think the Big Ten was vastly, vastly overrated last year. If you use the top three teams as your standard, in addition to the PAC 10, I think the Big East was as good as the SEC (blasphemy I know!). The ACC was mediocre at best. I think the Big-12 (don't stone me) was below the PAC-10, Big East, and SEC. Like someone said earlier, where were your big wins against legitimate outside competition last year? Well, there's my eye's view from North Carolina with my heart in California. Nebraska is a great program with a great tradiiton, and great fans (mostly). Hope you beat Texas next year. I am really looking forward to our game next September. Our team will be better than last year, but I think the home field advantage will make it a very close game. Its a game we could, but shouldn't lose.

Fight On!

TarheelTrojan

The problem when people try to rank conferences, is ranking them top to bottom. Ranking conferences based on the top 2 or 3 doesnt really say much, otherwise the Big East would be justified in being called one of the best.

I am not going to rank, just discuss the conferences.

Big 12. The one we know the most about. Texas and OU have been in the title race, if not the title game on a regular basis for several years. NU used to be, and should be back that way again. A&M and Tech get alot of credit. OSU gets billed as a team on the rise. What we really get hurt with is the north. MU is getting alot of love right now, but is one of those that wilts late in seasons. ISU has never amounted to anything, when they have had thier chances, they tank as soon as the spot lihgt gets turned on. KU has no tradition with being a power either. KSU had a hell of a run in the late 90s, but there is no telling what Prince will do with it. CU used to have more national presence, before the recruiting scandals. And right now, firing Barrnet looks like a bad deal.

The Big 10 is more or less the Big 3. Ohio State, Mich and Penn State are the only ones with any titles to thier names. Wisconsin has built up, and gets alot of respect, like it should. Iowa...I dont think there are any other fans out there who are as proud to be nothing mroe than a spoiler for other's title hopes as Hawkeye fans. The most overpaid coach in football. Illinois,Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota, Purdue, and mich state are lucky to even get bowl eligible in any year, uch less be a national factor.

The Big east. West Virgina and Loiusville are respctable programs, but neither have ever won anything. Rutgers seems to be on the rise, as does South Florida, but they need to prove alot to get real respect in a title race. Pitt hasnt madea bowl in two seasons, and may not for a third. UConn,Cinnci and Syracuse are more or less irrelicent in the national scale.

The Pac 10 likes to make a deal about the 'east coast bias' but other than USC, and maybe Cal(though they cant seem to get past USC) no one has been relevent in the Pac 10 sence washington in the 90s. UA and ASU havnt done much of anything, oregon and oregon state cant seem to play good fora whole season, either they start strong and tank late(Ducks) or stare weak and build as the season goes(beavers). Standford? Pass. UCLA, only time will tell, but again, they cant make it past USC in seasons where they pull the rest together.

The SEC. They love the tough motto, but refuse to prove it with quality non-conference opposition. Bama puts a good season together once every few years, and follows it up with a .500 year. No titles sence the early 90s. arkensas Has never really been a national presence. They get some 9 wins seasons, but I cant ever remember them in the title race. Auburn deserves respect, they havnt had worse than 8 wins in many years. And had a good claim to be in a title game at 13-0. Florida, again deserves the respect. Georgia, good team. LSU again good team. Kentucy, Vandy , mississippi and mississippi state are bottom feeders of the conference. South carolina may get to become somthing under spurrier, but right now, they are just an average football team. Tenn has been solid, but seasons where they fall off the map, and are usually just above average.

ACC - did they play football last year? Right now, no one in the conference rates even as above average. FSU and Miami have been just short of awful for the last couple seasons. And no one else is relevent year in and year out.