Lebron James

cmb23

I grew up idolizing Jordan and still think of him as a sports god....yes pathetic at 32. For years I have been waiting for someone to eventually take the torch as 'The Man'. I didn't want it to happen, but it is ineviteble that SOMEONE would replace him as the king of the game. He is the comparison to any great player coming out of college or high school (See: Jerry Stackhouse, Vince Carter, Grant Hill, Tracy McGrady)...they were all considered, at one time, the next MJ.

Then we have Kobe. Yes, he's pretty close to Jordan. He has the passion, he has the skills, he dunks, he fade's away, even plays some defense. He's got championship rings....all with the games most dominant center on the court with him. What has he and his 'lesser talented' counterparts done since Shaq left? Nothing.

The next MJ is LJ. The degree that this kid has grown from coming into the league as an 18 year old starter to now is unreal. When Lebron got drafted....Cleveland sucked. 2nd year...improved. 3rd year improved....now they are on the brink of the NBA Finals. And he's doing it with no-names and journeymen around him:

Ilgauskas: A 32 year old 7'4" center that has battled foot injuries his whole career.

Hughes: 4 teams in 8 years.

Snow: 34 year old point guard that averages 6.8 points for his career.

Donyell Marshall: 6 teams in 12 years.

Varejao & Pavlovic: Who? Sideshow Bob and a scientist that trained dogs to druel???

Point is that #23 for the Cavs is doing the same thing with his team that #23 did for the Bulls. Horace Grant, Luc Longley, Bill Cartwright, John Paxson, Steve Kerr, among others. Yeah, he had Scottie Pippen, but he proved he couldn't be the leading man. Lebron has Drew Gooden, but I'm not building a franchise around him, just as you wouldn't around Scottie.

I know many people hate the NBA and pro athletes. And they have a right too with the inflated salaries, ego trips and thug-nificance that many seem to carry. But the next time you have a free moment. Dig out an old Jordan video (you can borrow my old VHS "Come Fly With Me" or read "Rare Air") and watch what Jordan did. Then watch Lebron's next game. The differences are few. One guy did it in Illinois, the other is in Ohio. One did it when he was in his late 20's, the other is doing it in his early 20's. One wore a knee brace and wristband, the other wears a headband and a bracelet.

Watch him. Enjoy him. Because as much as I didn't want to see it....he is the next Jordan.

What he is doing is very Wade-esque. Carrying his team for the playoffs. James needs to keep getting better to be considered as the next MJ. Heck, in game 1 LeBron passed on a layup/dunk or chance at free throws to kick out to an open 3. Not a bad move, but Jordan never would have done that. I think LeBron learned from that and is evolving in front of our eyes. He could end up as one of the all time greats.

I don't think (to me anyways) that anyone will ever get to Jordan's level again. When he retired I stopped watching the NBA. I will say though that every morning on sportscenter I find myself wondering what he did last night in a game. <_<

On ESPN Radio this morning Mike&Mike were interviewing Hubie Brown. He brought up a very interesting point. In his first 25 career playoff games, Lebron is averaging 28 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists and 2 steals. The only other player to put up better overall numbers than him in his first 25 was Oscar Robertson.

listen guys he is 22 no one has been this far along at 22 you really can't compare his playing style to jordon because they are so different but he is more of a magic type he does have that swagger about him though i mean 29 out of the last 30 you got to be kidding me

God this is making me sound/feel old, but if you were born in '92, you weren't even able to comprehend what Jordan was doing with his Dynasty with the Bulls. I'm not discounting what you say...because I agree...Jordan was not at the same place at 22. But they are VERY MUCH the same type of player. Lebron is a little bigger (Magic's size) but he is more of a scoring/offensive weapon as Jordan.

The big thing you aren't considering is the supporting cast. Magic did it with the 'showtime' lakers. They were an all-star team by themselves. Kareem, James Worthy, Michael Cooper, Byron Scott. They were all at the top of their game. Of course they were going to win titles. Look at the rosters for Michael and LeBron. Nowhere near the talent.

That's the comparison to be made.

listen guys he is 22 no one has been this far along at 22 you really can't compare his playing style to jordon because they are so different but he is more of a magic type he does have that swagger about him though i mean 29 out of the last 30 you got to be kidding me

God this is making me sound/feel old, but if you were born in '92, you weren't even able to comprehend what Jordan was doing with his Dynasty with the Bulls. I'm not discounting what you say...because I agree...Jordan was not at the same place at 22. But they are VERY MUCH the same type of player. Lebron is a little bigger (Magic's size) but he is more of a scoring/offensive weapon as Jordan.

The big thing you aren't considering is the supporting cast. Magic did it with the 'showtime' lakers. They were an all-star team by themselves. Kareem, James Worthy, Michael Cooper, Byron Scott. They were all at the top of their game. Of course they were going to win titles. Look at the rosters for Michael and LeBron. Nowhere near the talent.

That's the comparison to be made.

Ya I agree with you I'm not trying to say he is or will be better than jordan because jordan was is the best of all time and your right that magic had a better cast around him.

Part of what i'm saying is we shouldn't keep trying to figure out which player he was the exact same as in the past because he is his own player and we really haven't seen anything like him (not to say he is the best ever or will be) but he is definetly a one of a kind player with some dynamic skills and I think we can all agree on that

I could beat him in one on one, no problem. Just make sure he is sedated to the point he is in a coma and then spot me 21 points. The game will be to 20 and damn it he would still find a way to beat me.

I hate the NBA but you have to respect what he can do

The NBA and ABC (I think they are carrying the finals on TV) are probably VERY happy that Cleveland made the finals. On Mike & Mike this morning they made a good point. Basketball fans will watch the finals regardless of who is playing....they already have that audience. Where they pick up numbers (and $$$) is by getting the casual fan. The wives, the channel surfers, etc. If Detroit plays San Antonio...no 'wow' factor...no new viewers. San Antonio against what is probably the biggest name and definitely biggest story in the NBA right now....you'll get people to watch 'the story'.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Lebron is doing tremendous things without the help of a "Shaq" on his team.

Kobe needed help along the way. While Shaq was dominating the league, drawing triple teams, he wrapped his arm around Kobe and endorsed him. Kobe's confidence eventually went up. The same thing with Wade. The same thing with Penny Hardaway.

Kobe's first 4 years in the league: (pts per game) 7.6, 15.4, 19.9, 22.5

Wade was 16.1 rookie year. Shaq comes along and does the same thing he did for Kobe to Wade. His scoring went up to 24 a game and started getting the foul calls and free throws up the butt.

I honestly believe if Shaq had never gone to LA, or Miami, that Kobe and Wade would be good players, but nothing like they are today.

Lebron is the team, the man. He's doing it all on his own.