RB LaMichael James

Update on LaMichael James: Seems like we have a great chance in getting him to commit.

http://nebraska.scout.com/a.z?s=204&p=2&c=714163

LaMichael James hopes to make a decision shortly after his official visit to Oregon on Jan. 11. "Oregon is recruiting me hard too," he said. "They've been showing a lot more interest recently and I decided to check them out. I'm not concerned about the distance or anything. I like that they run the spread and they always seem to have great offensive players coming out of there..."

LaMichael James, the 5-foot-9, 185-pound three-star running back from Liberty-Eylau High School in Texarkana, Texas, finished his senior season with 2,043 yards rushing and 26 touchdowns.

Although James denies a leader, he says he now favors Nebraska (childhood favorite), TCU, Minnesota and Oregon. All of his favorites have offered.

He's already taken official visits to Texas Christian on Sept. 1, Minnesota on Sept. 22 and Nebraska on Dec. 14. James will be visiting Oregon on Jan. 11.

"I really liked my Nebraska trip a lot," he said. "The new coaches seem great and very focused. They seem honest and real. They told me that I would fit in with the offense well and that they like to pass to the running backs and that I would be able to do a lot of different things for them.

"Coach Bo Pelini will probably do great at Nebraska," he said. "He's very blunt and there's no grey area with him. He doesn't BS you or tell you things that sound good. It's surprising to hear someone that straightforward."

"I knew they'd get a good head coach and I always liked Nebraska," he said. "They are a great program and they won't stay down long. They are a team I've always followed and it seems like they have rebounded well."

Throughout the season James says that Minnesota has been the school that has been recruiting him the hardest. "They've come down to Texas a lot," he said. "Anytime they could make it they would, plus they would send me mail everyday and all the coaches got involved. By far, they recruited me more than anyone."

James, ranked as the No. 79 running back in the country by Scout.com, hopes to make a decision shortly after his official visit to Oregon on Jan. 11. "Oregon is recruiting me hard too," he said. "They've been showing a lot more interest recently and I decided to check them out. I'm not concerned about the distance or anything. I like that they run the spread and they always seem to have great offensive players coming out of there."

James reports a 2.9 core GPA and a 16 ACT, which he retook on Dec. 8.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like he is pretty high on NU at the moment and says we are currently his leader. He's taking an official to Oregon this weekend.

Rob, why do you say academics might be an issue?

Well then he'll probably pick Oregon because every time we go up against them they win??? It confuses the hell out of me. :madash

i heard something that Oregon spends the most per recruit than any team in the Pac 10. Something like $7000 per kid. Don't know if that's true or not. Seems like something the NCAA would monitor.

Thing that gives me hope is that the others were west coast kids and Nebraska was trying to lure them to the mid west. James is from big 12 country, so hopefully it works in our favor this time.

Sounds like he is pretty high on NU at the moment and says we are currently his leader. He's taking an official to Oregon this weekend.

he dropped alittle on his star rating, and on the pay side at scout someone asked if that happened could it be because of grades? and a mods answer was yes it could.

that is why i said that that it MIGHT be an issue.

just because you have a 3.1GPA doesnt mean that the student has the required GPA in the Core Classes. An A in Wood Working, an A in Automotives and a D in Biology adds up to a 3.0, but the D might show some problems passing the ACT or SAT

the above is just an example, and not taken from his transcripts

he dropped alittle on his star rating, and on the pay side at scout someone asked if that happened could it be because of grades? and a mods answer was yes it could.

that is why i said that that it MIGHT be an issue.

just because you have a 3.1GPA doesnt mean that the student has the required GPA in the Core Classes. An A in Wood Working, an A in Automotives and a D in Biology adds up to a 3.0, but the D might show some problems passing the ACT or SAT

the above is just an example, and not taken from his transcripts

Makes good sense Rob! Also incase some of you may not realize this...Oregon has signed a 4 star Juco RB Lagarrette Blount (signed LOI) and a 3 star Kenjon Barner also. The thing I am HOPING for is we have not recruited but 1 RB in our class Okafor. With Okafor being a soft verbal I think he will go to Stanford. Just my guess on this. James will want to stay closer to home. I know I am hoping that I am right on all of this! :lol: