Gaming lag varies from model to model. DLPs have the worst reputation for gaming lag. Plasmas tend to be the most responsive. LCDs fall somewhere in the middle. But again, it varies a bit brand to brand and model to model. Some HDTVs have a gaming mode that lowers some aspects of the processing that helps eliminate lag.

Gaming lag on HDTVs comes from the processing of the image. Some brands to this faster than others. When a HDTV gets the signal, it runs it through conversion programs to make it fit the native resolution(720p 1080p or 1080i, or 768 in the case of plasmas). The more the TV has to process the image, the more prone it is to having gaming lag. Have the 360 set to output at the TVs native resolution would be one way to help minimize it if the set has issues with it.

As for the lag itself, it usually makes the most impact in timing games. Like a kick meter on madden, or guitar hero(which i have heard can be unplayable in some cases with the lag.

It isnt a connection issue. The data either gets there or it doesnt. It is totally based on the TV.

Ok that is totally different than what I have been told. I have been informed that because the older systems use 480 p or i (can't remember) that the tv has to up-convert to 720 or 1080 so that is why there is lag and that if you are using a 360 it can up-convert instead of the tv doing it so the lag goes down.

A regular old CRT(cathode ray tube, the classic TV) uses a display of 480i. 480p is enhanced definition, progressive scan on DVD players. Most HDTVs use 720p, though 1080i and 1080p are getting more common. When an HDTV takes in a signal, if it is not the native resolution, the TV has to convert it to the native res. How well the TV converts is where the lag can come into play.

You can reduce the chances of lag by having the imput from a XBox 360 or PS3 set to output at the native res of the TV. Both the 360 and the PS3 can output any resolution from 480i to 1080p, the media is what will determine what the max is. While this reduces the chances, some HDTVs(samsung DLP sets have a very bad reputation for this for instance) will lag regardless.

A regular old CRT(cathode ray tube, the classic TV) uses a display of 480i. 480p is enhanced definition, progressive scan on DVD players. Most HDTVs use 720p, though 1080i and 1080p are getting more common. When an HDTV takes in a signal, if it is not the native resolution, the TV has to convert it to the native res. How well the TV converts is where the lag can come into play.

You can reduce the chances of lag by having the imput from a XBox 360 or PS3 set to output at the native res of the TV. Both the 360 and the PS3 can output any resolution from 480i to 1080p, the media is what will determine what the max is. While this reduces the chances, some HDTVs(samsung DLP sets have a very bad reputation for this for instance) will lag regardless.

Alright. So basically there is a chance that it will still lag even with the same res. That's is what I needed to know. Thank you very much for helping me clear that up.

I am lost could we start over like at the atari stage I was pretty good at PONG

:rollin:rollin:rollin Hell I'm 27 and it feels like I just studied for a trig test all night long while pouring salt in my eyes!!!!

So you're saying you dont want me to break down the different HDTV techs?

:blink:

Not only NO, but HELL NO!!!!

I am lost could we start over like at the atari stage I was pretty good at PONG

:rollin:rollin:rollin Hell I'm 27 and it feels like I just studied for a trig test all night long while pouring salt in my eyes!!!!

So you're saying you dont want me to break down the different HDTV techs?

:blink:

Not only NO, but HELL NO!!!!

well too many flavors of HD to get into :lol:

although I'll add that I've never seen any significant lag between our Panasonic HDTV and the 360, Xbox, or Playstation.

Lots more info on understanding lag and video games: http://www.fubarduck.com/hdtv-lag-faq/