Serious Question

So a position just opened up in one of the local police departments that is one of the suburbs of Des Moines. My problem is that as a Polk County Deputy and a S.W.A.T. team member I make about $7.00 more an hour, but I am currently assigned to the jail division as a Deputy and have to do probably 2 more years in there before I finally get to patrol. It's getting very old and the morale is horrible!!! They are working us with a minimum staff and things are dangerous. We are doing a job that we should have about 20 more people to do with!!! The S.W.A.T. team is awesome, but I only get to come out and do things occasionally with them so it's very limited in what I get to do. I train twice a month so that gets me out of the jail so I can do something different. The thing I've always wanted to do was be a patrol officer and when I got hired with the Sheriff's Office I was told it would happen pretty fast and six years later it hasn't!!!! This is a pretty good paycut, but I have no kids and still live in the same house I lived in when I started with the Sheriff's Office. Our benefits are not good and they keep raising the premiums on us. The only problem is I also have to sell my motorcycle. Any advice would be awesome.............

dude, for me there is no question stay where you are until you can get on the road for the sheriff's department.

without any overtime the $7.00 an hour adds up to $14,000 a year. you and your wife are going through the fertility thing to try and have a child and that is not cheap.

you said that you would have to sell your motorcycle that you just bought, and think of the Husker games that you would no longer be able to afford to go to.

think of all of that, then compare it to the bullsh#t that you have to put up with at the jail and then decide if it would be worth it.

i wouldnt do it, but that is just me

Boy don't you just love public service. Our benefit premiums increase while our pay stays the same while being expected to keep a smile on your face.

I stay try and stick it out 14 grand a year is alot of cash to miss, but working environments with low morale also suck. Sounds like a tough call.

I always say the day I wake up and dread going to the station then it's time to move on.

Good luck BRI

Boy don't you just love public service. Our benefit premiums increase while our pay stays the same while being expected to keep a smile on your face.

I stay try and stick it out 14 grand a year is alot of cash to miss, but working environments with low morale also suck. Sounds like a tough call.

I always say the day I wake up and dread going to the station then it's time to move on.

Good luck BRI

Well I dread going to work right now, but my wife says that she wants me to wait until the Des Moines Police Department is hiring and they will start testing again in Dec. or Jan. and that would only be a $2,000 a year paycut and they are the best department in the state as far as benefits, pay, and union stuff goes. I have always wanted to work for them, but I am willing to go somewhere just for a little while until they hire. :dunno

dude, for me there is no question stay where you are until you can get on the road for the sheriff's department.

without any overtime the $7.00 an hour adds up to $14,000 a year. you and your wife are going through the fertility thing to try and have a child and that is not cheap.

you said that you would have to sell your motorcycle that you just bought, and think of the Husker games that you would no longer be able to afford to go to.

think of all of that, then compare it to the bullsh#t that you have to put up with at the jail and then decide if it would be worth it.

i wouldnt do it, but that is just me

You bring up an interesting point Rob and that is I wouldn't be able to go to any Husker games this season and I would have to cancel my vacation me and the wife have planned in December. Part of me is just getting ansy and really wants to go to the streets before I turn 30!!!! The other problem is that Des Moines just may have their testing process in December while I am gone on vacation....(that's just my luck) and I'm not for sure if they would let me test at a different time or not although I do have connections over there.

BRI, I'm with Hukser Rob on this one. I don't mean to come off as an old guy, but as you get older you tend to look to the long term more than the short term - and it becomes easier to endure crap in the short term knowing the payoff in the long term.

I also know that the worst thing a person can do is to make a move based on desperation. Rarely does it work out for the best. And one particularly bad aspect of going to the other job for just a short time is that folks tend to get a little antsy, wondering if the person they are about to hire is a "job hopper".

Stick it out until you can get the job you want. That' pay cut is significant - and as Rob noted, while the job may suck the money allows you to do the things you want to do. That's not a bad trade-off.

BRI, I'm with Hukser Rob on this one. I don't mean to come off as an old guy, but as you get older you tend to look to the long term more than the short term - and it becomes easier to endure crap in the short term knowing the payoff in the long term.

I also know that the worst thing a person can do is to make a move based on desperation. Rarely does it work out for the best. And one particularly bad aspect of going to the other job for just a short time is that folks tend to get a little antsy, wondering if the person they are about to hire is a "job hopper".

Stick it out until you can get the job you want. That' pay cut is significant - and as Rob noted, while the job may suck the money allows you to do the things you want to do. That's not a bad trade-off.

Agreed and I appreciate the response. It's probably just best for me to wait until Des Moines hires again because that is where I eventually want to be anyways. Good things come to those who wait I guess. :)

Agreed and I appreciate the response. It's probably just best for me to wait until Des Moines hires again because that is where I eventually want to be anyways. Good things come to those who wait I guess. :)

see even being from Iowa you do have a little common sense

I'm sure I'm late on this, talk to the wife, make sure you all are on the same page, make the decision based on both persons thoughts and both persons ultimate plans for the future. JMHO

it is a no brainer for ME. I will put up with a lot if they are paying me to do it. I am in the desert by choice because they are paying me really well. Now money does not buy happiness but neither does poverty.

Everyone has given you some good points to ponder on but in the end YOU have to be able to live with your decision. From bantering back and forth with you over that last year or two I believe you have a good head on your shoulders and will make the right decision for you and your family.

Good Luck BRI

GBR