It's interesting: Should Nebraska have offered?

For Record-Setting Back, Respect Is Earned a Yard at a Time

By THAYER EVANS

Published: August 26, 2007

CHADRON, Neb. — The most productive running back in college football plies his trade in a dusty, one-stoplight town of 5,300 that boasts the nation’s largest fur-trading museum.

Skip to next paragraph

Justin Haag for The New York Times

Chadron State’s Danny Woodhead was overlooked by Division I teams, including his beloved Nebraska, but now N.F.L. scouts are taking notice.

Woodhead begins the season needing 989 rushing yards to break the career, all-division N.C.A.A. rushing record of 7,353.

But the Chadron State College senior tailback Danny Woodhead savors his relative anonymity, and he has not let the 14-hour bus rides and other quirks of Division II football slow his run to a record.

[After gaining 290 yards with four touchdowns in a 34-24 victory over Washburn on Aug. 25, the 5-foot-8, 200-pound Woodhead needs 699 rushing yards to break the career, all-division N.C.A.A. rushing record of 7,353.]

Last season, he became the first player in N.C.A.A. history to surpass the 2,700-yard barrier in a single season, despite not playing in the second half of three games. With his 4.43 speed and shifty moves, he has made this remote northwestern Nebraska town — it is more than 100 miles from the nearest major airport — a destination for curious N.F.L. scouts.

“The things that he does on the football field I’ve never seen anybody do,” Colorado School of Mines Coach Bob Stitt said. “You would compare him to a Barry Sanders-type runner. He’s one of those guys that you work all week to stop and everyone knows he’s going to carry the ball 30 times, but he still gains 200 yards.”

Along the way, Woodhead has become the first student at the college to receive a full athletic scholarship. He is also the reason the fifth-ranked Eagles will make their inaugural national television appearance in October.

Woodhead’s success has also caused heartache among some University of Nebraska fans. They wonder why a player that the former Cornhuskers Coach Tom Osborne called “one of the most productive backs ever” in Nebraska scholastic play is not suiting up for the Big Red.

After all, Woodhead still holds seven state records, including those for career rushing yards and touchdowns, in Nebraska’s largest division.

Yet he never received an invitation for an official visit, let alone a scholarship offer, from an N.C.A.A. Division I-A college because of doubts about his size.

“I am who I am,” said Woodhead, an academic all-American last season. He is a math education major with a 3.72 grade point average. “I’m not going to change it. I just bring what I have.”

Born in North Platte, Woodhead was home-schooled until his freshman year of high school. A diehard Nebraska fan, he said he cried when the Cornhuskers lost to Florida State in the 1993 national championship game.

Woodhead was named state player of the year as a senior at North Platte High School, when he led Class A with 2,037 yards and scored 31 touchdowns. That year, he was also the state’s top scorer in basketball, at 26 points a game, and led the soccer team in scoring in the spring. Before his senior year, Woodhead attended Nebraska’s summer football camp. He said he had several conversations with Nebraska’s coach at the time, Frank Solich, who encouraged him to walk on as a kick returner. “It was tough to swallow,” he said.

Instead, Woodhead committed in December 2003 to Chadron State, where his parents had attended college and where his older brother, Ben, was then playing football. He made his decision after Solich had been fired but before the current Nebraska coach, Bill Callahan, was hired.

“We held our breath for the entire process,” Chadron State Coach Bill O’Boyle said. “I was hoping a Division I wouldn’t offer him.”

Northern Colorado Coach Scott Downing, who was Nebraska’s recruiting coordinator when Woodhead was a high school senior, said the Huskers considered offering him a scholarship.

Downing, whose team plays Chadron State next month, said he had no regrets about the decision to pass on Woodhead.

“Could he be productive in the Big 12? I don’t know,” Downing said. “You’re talking about a young man that’s four years later playing at Chadron State, and he hasn’t played against Texas the last time I checked.”

Woodhead has rushed for more than 200 yards in 18 of his 34 collegiate games. His junior season was highlighted by 215 rushing yards and 2 touchdowns in a road victory against Montana State, a Division I-AA program that had held Colorado to 106 rushing yards in an upset the previous week. He finished the season with 2,756 rushing yards, 38 total touchdowns and won the Harlon Hill Trophy, given to the nation’s top Division II player.

“He’s done a tremendous job,” said Solich, who acknowledged that he might have missed on Woodhead. “That’s not a complete surprise. I think he would have had a chance to have success no matter where he went.”

Woodhead said he never second-guessed his decision to attend Chadron State, whose most famous N.F.L. alumnus is the former Buffalo Bills receiver Don Beebe.

“Honestly, this has probably been the best opportunity for me,” Woodhead said. “I don’t think I would have gotten this opportunity at any other place.”

Woodhead is a Christian who wears a red bracelet that says “JESUS NATION,” but his friends also describe him as notoriously sarcastic and a prankster; he dressed as a Chippendale dancer at a Chadron State basketball game last season and is known for playing video games naked in his off-campus house.

“He’s just such a goof,” said the Chadron State senior wide receiver Landon Ehlers, who lives with Woodhead. “He just doesn’t seem to realize how big of a deal he is and how good he is.”

But N.F.L. teams do, which is why scouts from the Bears, the Eagles, the Falcons and the Texans have traveled to Chadron to meet Woodhead. Gil Brandt, the former Dallas Cowboys executive and an analyst for nfl.com, said he projected Woodhead as a second-day pick in the N.F.L. draft.

“Everybody knows where Chadron, Nebraska, is now,” Brandt said.

Along with the rushing record, Woodhead needs 1,857 yards and 20 touchdowns to break the all-division records for all-purpose yards (9,512 yards) and scoring (658 points). Yet he insisted this season was about wins, not individual achievements. He said he still struggled to comprehend his success, but knew his fanfare would heighten with each yard gained.

“He’s a huge celebrity in the whole state of Nebraska,” Chadron State quarterback Joseph McLain said. “Everywhere you go, if you’re wearing something with Chadron, people ask you about Danny Woodhead.”

He has a lot of talent but there is a big difference between D1 and DII. I think he could play DI but I don't think he would be setting the types of records at NU that he is at Chadron.

There are still 11 college players that have no hope of tackling him...should amount for something. Anyone have knowledge of when CSC is going to be on TV? If it's national, probably on ESPNU, CSTV, or Classic?

He has a lot of talent but there is a big difference between D1 and DII.

Maine--2005?

Maine is D1-AA, putz

No kidding? It would have been nice to beat them by more than 15 pts, a-hole. That's my point, smart guy.

NU won by 18...before you call someone an 'a-hole,' why don't you get your facts straight. :hmmph