The Long Awaited....

LINK

Depth chart news

Sip here, filling in for B.C., who's taking notes.

Some bits and pieces from Nebraska's season-opening depth chart released Tuesday.

-- Junior I-back Cody Glenn isn't listed, presumably because of his lingering hamstring injury. The order at I-back goes: Marlon Lucky followed by freshmen Quentin Castille and Roy Helu, with sophomore Major Culbert listed fourth. Marcus Mendoza doesn't appear on the chart.

-- Mike Huff and Keith Williams are listed 1-2 at right guard. Projected starter Matt Slauson has been sidelined by a shoulder separation, but said Sunday he plans to be ready for the game.

-- Wow. Redshirt freshman walk-on Dreu Young of Cozad is listed third at tight end behind seniors J.B. Phillips and Josh Mueller. Senior Sean Hill and redshirt freshman Mike McNeill are listed co-No. 4s.

-- Armando Murillo is listed No. 1 at left cornerback ahead of returning starter Andre Jones.

-- At right corner, Cortney Grixby is listed No. 1, and Zack Bowman No. 2.

-- Adi Kunalic and Alex Henery are listed as co-No. 1s at place-kicker.

-- The other true freshman listed: Niles Paul No. 4 at the "Z" wideout position behind Nunn, Hardy and Erickson; Patrick Witt is No. 3 at quarterback behind Keller and Ganz; Blake Lawrence co-No. 2 at strongside linebacker with Tyler Wortman behind co-No. 1s Bo Ruud and Lance Brandenburgh.

Another minor surprise: true freshman walk-on Thomas Grove of Arlington is listed No. 3 at weakside linebacker behind co-No. 1s Steve Octavien and Brandenburgh.

Anthony Blue isn't listed at either cornerback position.

The kickoff return list, as it appears on the depth chart:

1. Andre Jones/Cortney Grixby; 2. Terrence Nunn/Rickey Thenarse; 3. Frantz Hardy/Marlon Lucky; 4. Niles Paul.

The punt return list:

1. Grixby; 2. Nunn; 3. Jones; 4. Swift; 5. Paul.

Not bashing ,just asking opinion.

Does everyone feel comfortable with Grix going up against everyones #1 receiver?

Is the safety help that much better?

Not flaming, just looking for opinion.

well, as we know, he is all we got. he wouldn't even start for most other top 20 teams, but we still need him.

LINK

Depth chart news

Sip here, filling in for B.C., who's taking notes.

Some bits and pieces from Nebraska's season-opening depth chart released Tuesday.

-- Junior I-back Cody Glenn isn't listed, presumably because of his lingering hamstring injury. The order at I-back goes: Marlon Lucky followed by freshmen Quentin Castille and Roy Helu, with sophomore Major Culbert listed fourth. Marcus Mendoza doesn't appear on the chart.

-- Mike Huff and Keith Williams are listed 1-2 at right guard. Projected starter Matt Slauson has been sidelined by a shoulder separation, but said Sunday he plans to be ready for the game.

-- Wow. Redshirt freshman walk-on Dreu Young of Cozad is listed third at tight end behind seniors J.B. Phillips and Josh Mueller. Senior Sean Hill and redshirt freshman Mike McNeill are listed co-No. 4s.

-- Armando Murillo is listed No. 1 at left cornerback ahead of returning starter Andre Jones.

-- At right corner, Cortney Grixby is listed No. 1, and Zack Bowman No. 2.

-- Adi Kunalic and Alex Henery are listed as co-No. 1s at place-kicker.

-- The other true freshman listed: Niles Paul No. 4 at the "Z" wideout position behind Nunn, Hardy and Erickson; Patrick Witt is No. 3 at quarterback behind Keller and Ganz; Blake Lawrence co-No. 2 at strongside linebacker with Tyler Wortman behind co-No. 1s Bo Ruud and Lance Brandenburgh.

Another minor surprise: true freshman walk-on Thomas Grove of Arlington is listed No. 3 at weakside linebacker behind co-No. 1s Steve Octavien and Brandenburgh.

Anthony Blue isn't listed at either cornerback position.

The kickoff return list, as it appears on the depth chart:

1. Andre Jones/Cortney Grixby; 2. Terrence Nunn/Rickey Thenarse; 3. Frantz Hardy/Marlon Lucky; 4. Niles Paul.

The punt return list:

1. Grixby; 2. Nunn; 3. Jones; 4. Swift; 5. Paul.

holy sh#t batman! grix as #1 punt return guy?? not trying to flame out here either, but i just can't see it?

i was hoping "someone" new would step up here, big disappointment. seems the punt return game will be average again, unless the blocking schemes have improved substantially.

Not bashing ,just asking opinion.

Does everyone feel comfortable with Grix going up against everyones #1 receiver?

Is the safety help that much better?

Not flaming, just looking for opinion.

he wouldn't even start for most other top 20 teams, but we still need him.

you dont know that and there is no way to prove otherwise because he starts for Nebraska.

But you are right he is all we have.

LINK

Murillo the big winner

Here are some Bill Callahan quotes from Tuesday's press conference.

On the depth chart as a whole: "I think the big thing is, when you look at the depth chart, not to draw a lot of conclusions, because it changes on a daily basis... We had to put this chart together because (media relations director) Keith (Mann) asked me to." (That got Callahan some laughs).

On Cody Glenn: "He's back. He's clear. He'll be back at practice today. We're just going to take a look at him and see where he's at ... He'll be day-to-day."

On the lineman Slauson: "He's back. He'll be back today. Again, he's going to be a guy we're going to have to look at and see how he practices, evaluate where he's at after practice today and Wednesday and see how it works going through the week."

On the cornerback Murillo: "I know Coach Elmo really likes his work ethic and the way that he's prepared and his learning curve has really been accelerated throughout the training camp... The amount of time he has put into it has really paid off. He's more detailed. He's more focused. I think, from my perspective as I look at him when we compete against him, he sees the field a lot better than when he first got here."

On cornerback Anthony Blue: "He'll be on the special teams depth charts. It's too bad we can't publish those as well, because a lot of those players emerge on special teams.... Blue's a guy who's had a really good camp. We've got a good problem there with Grixby, and with Bowman, he'll be playing there this Saturday, and Andre Jones. We've got four corners, five corners with Blue. We can get into a lot of different packages as well as using their versatility on special teams."

On the cornerback Bowman: "We'll just see how this week goes. He'll play but I can't give you the exact amount of repetitions...

On linebacker Blake Lawrence: "Blake Lawrence is every thing we thought he was. He continues to get bigger and stronger. He's got very good speed and length as a player, and he's a smart guy... For a young freshman to come in and adapt to this style of defense and the things we're asking him to do is outstanding."

On linebacker Thomas Grove: "He's a very natural athlete, can run very well. I think you'll see him more on a special teams."

Ok i see that murillo is at the left corner spot and congrats to him but i would rather see andre jones at the other coner spot than grixby.

i do like seeing castille in at second string and hopefully get to seem him play alot this weekend.

I would like to see prince and paul at KO and PR.

Other than that lets play some dam football already!!!!!!!