Fire Callahan!

The fire Cally stuff is too sensational but I did go to the guys web site. I at least partially agree with 3 of his 5 reasons.

I didn't like the way he coached the USC game. It seemed kind of cowardly.

He was terribly outcoached by Stoops in the Big 12 championship game.

I was disappointed by the play calling at the end of the Auburn game.

I still don't think we had to have such a bad record his first year here. If he would have coached the talent he had, and not forceds his offense on them we still could've won the weak B12 North.

I do like the recruiting classes and am not part of the fire Cally crowd yet but if we only win 9 games this year is that all right with most of you?

If we have a 9-5 year this season then next year needs to be a top 10 finish or he needs to go.

I agree with the original psoter in that we should be holding this program to the highest standards. It is why Solich was fired after a 10-3 season (which I was completely in favor of!).

I don't agree with the outcoached thing in the big 12 championship. That game was WAAAAAAAAAAY closer than the score said. We had so many chances to take over that game but each time we would turn it over. I was freezing my ass off in the stands watching that and it was depressing as sh#t watching Taylor throw a pick or fumble the ball everytime we got something going. I do not put any blame what so ever on Callahan for that loss. And as far as his first year here. Callahan was not an option coach, I don't blame him for not running that offense his first year. In my opinion, he did what he could with the players he had. People just need to get thier panties out of a bunch and let him do his job.

"I don't agree with the outcoached thing in the big 12 championship."

He admitted it in his coaches show. Yeah, the Taylor turnovers were a heart breaker. I just don't think the coaching staff was ready for the WR Oklahama had playing QB to throw as much as he did. They never really adjusted.

"And as far as his first year here. Callahan was not an option coach, I don't blame him for not running that offense his first year. In my opinion, he did what he could with the players he had. People just need to get thier panties out of a bunch and let him do his job."

I don't think he should have ran the option, just ran more. He came in talking about how flexible the WCO was. It was really frustrating to watch us throw on 3rd and 2 when we all knew Daily couldn't make the throw and that Porkchop would pick up the first running.

I obviously haven't figured out how to do partial quotes in my replies

He admitted it in his coaches show. Yeah, the Taylor turnovers were a heart breaker. I just don't think the coaching staff was ready for the WR Oklahama had playing QB to throw as much as he did. They never really adjusted.

"And as far as his first year here. Callahan was not an option coach, I don't blame him for not running that offense his first year. In my opinion, he did what he could with the players he had. People just need to get thier panties out of a bunch and let him do his job."

I don't think he should have ran the option, just ran more. He came in talking about how flexible the WCO was. It was really frustrating to watch us throw on 3rd and 2 when we all knew Daily couldn't make the throw and that Porkchop would pick up the first running.

Ill admit the defense was outcoached. Plain and simple but if you look at the stats, NU pretty much had OU beat. Then you look at the scoreboard and just be like "sh#t". I beleive if you take away the 4-5 TO's we had then it would have been a race to the finish. We had so many chances in that game.

Ill also agree that he should have ran more his first year, but I still don't think that would have changed the seasons outcome that much more.

In all honesty though, Why debate the past? Just look to the future.

As far as Cally's first year:

yeah, I was bummed we stayed home from a bowl and were sub .500 - especially when two of those games could've been won with running some option.

BUT... In retrospect, I realized Cally had to kill the option from the start. Recruits usually have only recent memories or get impressions of a program from what ESPN says. <_< One current player didn't even know Cally coached the Raiders in a super bowl.

My point being - he had to get the word out the WCO was in. He couldn't explain to recruits, "Well, I have option players from the previous coach, and there's huge pressure here to win... so we're slowly backing away into a new system, but you'll fit in here nicely in a couple of years..."

Any blue chip recruit would say, "buh-bye" if they heard that.

So, the play calling in 2004 was for recruiting. I'm sure he and Steve P were in accordance in this. Install a new system, take the bullet for a year if need be -then go out and recruit. And he did. Plus, the 2005 class, though hearalded, has been hit hard by washouts.

Also - that 5-6 record was due partly to some players giving up, especially on defense. Some had to learn their 3rd system in 3 years.

I agree if he doesn't improve on last year's record, he'll have HUGE pressure in 2008. I'll wait till after the 08 season to start screaming for BC's head.

Over course he's going to take the blame for the Big XII championship game. That's what good coaches do. You don't say, "Well if my QB didn't throw 2 INT's in the endzone or my WR fumble the first drive and get his head taken out of the game mentally..."

I guess everyone is right, Ron Prince took his team to a bowl game (a major improvement, so he's a great coach now), let's hire him. :sarcasm

I can't believe this thread. Three days before the opening game, and you start a thread like this? Sir, respectfully, you have a right to your opinion, but let's see how we do this season before bringing this up. Good grief, the first game is Saturday. Why now? Dave, this thread is going nowhere -- close it please.

This is the dumbest post I have ever read!! So we have made strides every year and then before the season even starts you want to fire Callahan. I bet you were one of those guys who didnt want to fire Solich either? The guy can win big games, how many coaches do you know that has an AFC championship ring? Probably not very many. He took Nebraska to the Big 12 championship with possibly the worst secondary nebraska has ever had. He damn near beat Auburn who beat the national champion and LSU. He did have some questionable calls at the end, but if the fake punt would have worked everyone would be calling him a genious. He has restocked every position and needed to thanks to your buddy Solich who didnt recruit outside of nebraska and Iowa hardly ever. Callahan also has been steadily improving despite the fact that he has had about 7 o linemen that can play up until this year. In 2005 he still didnt have the skill position players with experience to compete and what did he do? He beat Michigan in the Alamo Bowl, with an o line consisting of mainly freshmen and sophmores, and wide receiving core that consisted as mainly freshmen and sophmores, a first year qb and one veteran running back. That was in his SECOND YEAR!! Still with mainly the same o line he managed to get better in his third season. The original poster is flat out an idiot! There is no other way to say it, if I get banned I get banned, but you have no freakin idea what you are talking about! If I were you I would just sit back and read, if you can, the other posts on the board, bc you have no business talking about husker football. Thank God not all husker fans are as ignorant as you!

Fire Callahan!

Nice timing on the flame thread buddy. You need to take a long, deep drink of Kool-Aid to douse those flames—especially now, on the cusp of football season. Why don’t you start this same thread up in the Woodshed so you can hear how I really feel.

Oh yeah, and the name—I Bleed RED—is that a monthly thing or what?

Fire Callahan!

Nice timing on the flame thread buddy. You need to take a long, deep drink of Kool-Aid to douse those flames—especially now, on the cusp of football season. Why don’t you start this same thread up in the Woodshed so you can hear how I really feel.

NICE!!! :rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

Fire Callahan!

ZING! GOOD ONE!! :bonez

:clap:clap

The fire Cally stuff is too sensational but I did go to the guys web site. I at least partially agree with 3 of his 5 reasons.

I didn't like the way he coached the USC game. It seemed kind of cowardly.

He was terribly outcoached by Stoops in the Big 12 championship game.

I was disappointed by the play calling at the end of the Auburn game.

I still don't think we had to have such a bad record his first year here. If he would have coached the talent he had, and not forceds his offense on them we still could've won the weak B12 North.

I do like the recruiting classes and am not part of the fire Cally crowd yet but if we only win 9 games this year is that all right with most of you?

If we have a 9-5 year this season then next year needs to be a top 10 finish or he needs to go.

I agree with the original psoter in that we should be holding this program to the highest standards. It is why Solich was fired after a 10-3 season (which I was completely in favor of!).

I don't agree with the outcoached thing in the big 12 championship. That game was WAAAAAAAAAAY closer than the score said. We had so many chances to take over that game but each time we would turn it over. I was freezing my ass off in the stands watching that and it was depressing as sh#t watching Taylor throw a pick or fumble the ball everytime we got something going. I do not put any blame what so ever on Callahan for that loss. And as far as his first year here. Callahan was not an option coach, I don't blame him for not running that offense his first year. In my opinion, he did what he could with the players he had. People just need to get thier panties out of a bunch and let him do his job.

I don't agree either. We started the game with giving them a present, that's TD their way. And we had 2 INTs in the endzone in the 4th. Not to mention another INT and two more fumbles, one of which we lost.

Main Entry: hyp·o·crite

Pronunciation: 'hi-p&-"krit

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English ypocrite, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin hypocrita, from Greek hypokritEs actor, hypocrite, from hypokrinesthai

1 : a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion

2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

- hypocrite adjective

Those wanting more time for BC seem to be the ones who wanted Solich fired. Solich's "new" coaching staff had just one year to perform and ended the season ranked in the top 25. We'll never know how well they would have recruited because they were given just one year.

Making progress? In 2003, NU went 10-3. We finished the season ranked 18th. In 2004, NU went 5-6 and finished ranked 68th. In 2005, NU went 8-4 and finished ranked 30th. In 2006, NU went 9-5 and finished ranked 28th.

Why after BC struggles does everyone want to compare and give him the time TO was given? Whenever we talk about Solich being fired, it's the same old thing that you win now. It's always said the times have changed and you win now and often or be fired. But, when it gets turned around to BC everyone wants to give him a contract extension and plenty of time even though he's yet to finish the season in the top 25. For those of you who think it's good that there wasn't the internet back in the 70's or TO would be gone might just want to do some history there. TO was so frustrated with the pressure of coaching at NU that he actually checked into coaching for Colorado of all places. The pressure was just as intense back then as it is now.

For those of you who don't want to see a coaching carousel, what do you think we have now? No, we haven't had new HC's, but we have several new coaches. I'm not exactly sold on Coz either. I find it interesting that Coz's replacement at Wisconsin is now their head coach. If Alvarez thought Coz was a good coach wouldn't he have had him stick around and hand the reigns to him?

We're not going to fire BC this year, and he will be the coach next year and the year after. However after his 6 year contract is up, I have no idea what will happen. Considering Pud just got an extension, I would assume BC will get one as well within the next 12 months. In order for any of this to change, I believe something drastic will have to happen such as sellout streak ending, etc. IMO, we're stuck with him. It's kind of like a marriage. We'll have him through richer and poorer and through sickness and health until he decides to retire or move on.