Fire Callahan!

Let me first start by saying I am not a fan of locking this thread as some have suggested. Most of us may not agree with I bleed red but he has not violated any board rules or been disrespectful.

Now, I pose this question to I bleed......what do you suggest? How long do we give a coach? Do you think bringing in a new coach ever few years is good for the program? (ask Alabama how it worked out for them).

Actually it seems like he is trolling a little bit here............... <_< You can lock a thread for just being pointless not just because someone broke the rules.

But Still..Pretty Shickenchit to lock a thread just because you don't agree with it.

Just try staying away if it gets too controversial for you.

Don't worry about me I can take care of myself there junior. The problem is this stupid topic has been brought up so many times this off-season that it's getting pretty darn old and I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks that!?

Yeah, I know BRI

I tried really hard to stay away too.

But was glad to see the Callahan support.

And if this had been locked, may not have been able to see all of the support...or even your :yeah responses

Jr :lol:

I know these guys are few and far between to be honest with you, but lately they have been really hammering away at us about this crap and I honestly believe that we will see some big things this season. That's not me talking from rose colored glasses either. I think we have the means to do it. :thumbs

I am shocked by this topic. In my opinion Callahan has done a GOOD job (Not GREAT) in his short tenure at Nebraska. If you fire him this year, a new coach would come in and change up the offence and then what; we lose the BEST upcoming recruiting class that Nebraska has had in years.

Give him a chance!!!

Nebraska fans will never be extremely happy again until Osborne is back on the sidelines and I do not see that happening anytime soon.

Folks, let's take a breath...

Better? Good. Personally, I don't see a reason to lock the thread.

I Bleed RED has followed the rules. Better yet - and the reason I don't consider it trolling - is that he's not posting the same thing in multiple threads. Nor is he derailing other threads by turning them into a critique of the coaching staff - regarless of the topic itself.

Think back to the dreaded days of formerfan, who was precisely the opposite. How many times did we ask him to not derail threads? How many times did we suggest that if he had to express his opinions of the coaching staff he start a thread?

I Bleed RED has done just that.

Look, I know it's trite, but it's also true. Don't read it if you don't like it. If you want to avoid posts by I Bleed RED or any other member, use the IGNORE function - we've pinned instructions on its use at the top of this forum.

One final thing - we like to encourage all opinions. All we ask is that people follow the rules. That means that you can have any opinion you want - just follow the rules in stating it.

Main Entry: hyp·o·crite

Pronunciation: 'hi-p&-"krit

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English ypocrite, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin hypocrita, from Greek hypokritEs actor, hypocrite, from hypokrinesthai

1 : a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion

2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

- hypocrite adjective

Those wanting more time for BC seem to be the ones who wanted Solich fired. Solich's "new" coaching staff had just one year to perform and ended the season ranked in the top 25. We'll never know how well they would have recruited because they were given just one year.

Making progress? In 2003, NU went 10-3. We finished the season ranked 18th. In 2004, NU went 5-6 and finished ranked 68th. In 2005, NU went 8-4 and finished ranked 30th. In 2006, NU went 9-5 and finished ranked 28th.

Why after BC struggles does everyone want to compare and give him the time TO was given? Whenever we talk about Solich being fired, it's the same old thing that you win now. It's always said the times have changed and you win now and often or be fired. But, when it gets turned around to BC everyone wants to give him a contract extension and plenty of time even though he's yet to finish the season in the top 25. For those of you who think it's good that there wasn't the internet back in the 70's or TO would be gone might just want to do some history there. TO was so frustrated with the pressure of coaching at NU that he actually checked into coaching for Colorado of all places. The pressure was just as intense back then as it is now.

For those of you who don't want to see a coaching carousel, what do you think we have now? No, we haven't had new HC's, but we have several new coaches. I'm not exactly sold on Coz either. I find it interesting that Coz's replacement at Wisconsin is now their head coach. If Alvarez thought Coz was a good coach wouldn't he have had him stick around and hand the reigns to him?

We're not going to fire BC this year, and he will be the coach next year and the year after. However after his 6 year contract is up, I have no idea what will happen. Considering Pud just got an extension, I would assume BC will get one as well within the next 12 months. In order for any of this to change, I believe something drastic will have to happen such as sellout streak ending, etc. IMO, we're stuck with him. It's kind of like a marriage. We'll have him through richer and poorer and through sickness and health until he decides to retire or move on.

I can't stand all of these Solich nutswingers these days. Solich had 6 years to change things up. He didnt and he couldnt. Get out of the past. You talk about how we arent making progress? Haha. Do you REALLY think that Solich could have brought in top recruits and the skill players that we would have needed to transition to a throwing offense? NO. He couldn't have. Callahan changed the ENTIRE offense. If you expect a good season when your playing a WCO with option players than you are just plain idiotic. BC has made progress every year and thats what most fans are looking towards. He finally has all his main skill players in and this is the year for BC to show what he can do.

Also, don't you realize every team in college football has rebuilding years? EVERY TEAM. Whether it be Miami, USC, FSU, Florida, OSU, anyone. They all go through a point in time that they are changing things up and they arent a powerhouse for a few years. Look at Miami now, Look at Florida State. Both were DOMINANT in the 90s/early 2000s but are both mediocre right now. :nutz

The entire reason for putting Webster's definition of a hypocrit was there for a reason. The guys asking for more time for BC are the friggin same guys that wanted Solich fired after 6 seasons. They use the same lame excuse claiming TO was given 20 years. My whole point is after 6 seasons BC hasn't had similar success as Solich, he should be canned. Solich played for NC. Solich had some top 10 finishes. We made BCS games. BC went undefeated last year in the Big 12 North, but to put it in perspective so did Baylor. BC hasn't accomplished anything yet. If he doesn't accomplish anything this year, he has two years left to prove himself. Hell, BC hasn't even accomplished a top 25 finish yet. Solich's 6th year were all his recruits and he finished 18th! Solich replaced coaches. We all know recruiting doesn't all happen by the head coach. If it did then why was Blake getting all the cudos a couple of years ago? The fact remains that TO saddled Solich with his assistants. We'll never know if these new assitants would have been able to light a fire under the recruiting or not because they weren't given a chance.

Solich was given 6 years even though he played in a BCS game and played for a NC. BC should only get 6 years to at least accomplish what the person he replaced did. If after 6 years he hasn't won the Big 12 or made it to a BCS game, NU should go looking for a new coach.

I really don't know why we're even debating this as Pud's going to give the extension and BC gets a free pass until he either retires or chooses to move on. We're married to BC.

Main Entry: hyp·o·crite

Pronunciation: 'hi-p&-"krit

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English ypocrite, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin hypocrita, from Greek hypokritEs actor, hypocrite, from hypokrinesthai

1 : a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion

2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

- hypocrite adjective

Those wanting more time for BC seem to be the ones who wanted Solich fired. Solich's "new" coaching staff had just one year to perform and ended the season ranked in the top 25. We'll never know how well they would have recruited because they were given just one year.

Making progress? In 2003, NU went 10-3. We finished the season ranked 18th. In 2004, NU went 5-6 and finished ranked 68th. In 2005, NU went 8-4 and finished ranked 30th. In 2006, NU went 9-5 and finished ranked 28th.

Why after BC struggles does everyone want to compare and give him the time TO was given? Whenever we talk about Solich being fired, it's the same old thing that you win now. It's always said the times have changed and you win now and often or be fired. But, when it gets turned around to BC everyone wants to give him a contract extension and plenty of time even though he's yet to finish the season in the top 25. For those of you who think it's good that there wasn't the internet back in the 70's or TO would be gone might just want to do some history there. TO was so frustrated with the pressure of coaching at NU that he actually checked into coaching for Colorado of all places. The pressure was just as intense back then as it is now.

For those of you who don't want to see a coaching carousel, what do you think we have now? No, we haven't had new HC's, but we have several new coaches. I'm not exactly sold on Coz either. I find it interesting that Coz's replacement at Wisconsin is now their head coach. If Alvarez thought Coz was a good coach wouldn't he have had him stick around and hand the reigns to him?

We're not going to fire BC this year, and he will be the coach next year and the year after. However after his 6 year contract is up, I have no idea what will happen. Considering Pud just got an extension, I would assume BC will get one as well within the next 12 months. In order for any of this to change, I believe something drastic will have to happen such as sellout streak ending, etc. IMO, we're stuck with him. It's kind of like a marriage. We'll have him through richer and poorer and through sickness and health until he decides to retire or move on.

I can't stand all of these Solich nutswingers these days. Solich had 6 years to change things up. He didnt and he couldnt. Get out of the past. You talk about how we arent making progress? Haha. Do you REALLY think that Solich could have brought in top recruits and the skill players that we would have needed to transition to a throwing offense? NO. He couldn't have. Callahan changed the ENTIRE offense. If you expect a good season when your playing a WCO with option players than you are just plain idiotic. BC has made progress every year and thats what most fans are looking towards. He finally has all his main skill players in and this is the year for BC to show what he can do.

Also, don't you realize every team in college football has rebuilding years? EVERY TEAM. Whether it be Miami, USC, FSU, Florida, OSU, anyone. They all go through a point in time that they are changing things up and they arent a powerhouse for a few years. Look at Miami now, Look at Florida State. Both were DOMINANT in the 90s/early 2000s but are both mediocre right now. :nutz

The entire reason for putting Webster's definition of a hypocrit was there for a reason. The guys asking for more time for BC are the friggin same guys that wanted Solich fired after 6 seasons. They use the same lame excuse claiming TO was given 20 years. My whole point is after 6 seasons BC hasn't had similar success as Solich, he should be canned. Solich played for NC. Solich had some top 10 finishes. We made BCS games. BC went undefeated last year in the Big 12 North, but to put it in perspective so did Baylor. BC hasn't accomplished anything yet. If he doesn't accomplish anything this year, he has two years left to prove himself. Hell, BC hasn't even accomplished a top 25 finish yet. Solich's 6th year were all his recruits and he finished 18th! Solich replaced coaches. We all know recruiting doesn't all happen by the head coach. If it did then why was Blake getting all the cudos a couple of years ago? The fact remains that TO saddled Solich with his assistants. We'll never know if these new assitants would have been able to light a fire under the recruiting or not because they weren't given a chance.

Solich was given 6 years even though he played in a BCS game and played for a NC. BC should only get 6 years to at least accomplish what the person he replaced did. If after 6 years he hasn't won the Big 12 or made it to a BCS game, NU should go looking for a new coach.

I really don't know why we're even debating this as Pud's going to give the extension and BC gets a free pass until he either retires or chooses to move on. We're married to BC.

Newest best post of the thread.

Please show me the last Husker team to show improvement from one season to the next, with a Husker coach that still didn't have all his own recruits, with a completely different offense, while still having to play four Top 10 teams, and although losing, never being out of the game.

Hell, I'll settle for the Husker team to play 4 Top 10 teams in a season. Go ahead and start searching.

I'll give Callahan a chance. ;)

In 2004, NU played only 1 top 10 team Oklahoma. The only other team in the top 25 was Texas Tech coming in at 20th. We lost to Southern Miss who finished the season ranked at a stellar 43rd. We lost to KState who finished the season ranked at a stellar 77th. We lost to Iowa State that finished the season ranked at a stellar 49th. We lost to Colorado that finished at 38th.

In 2003, two of NU's losses came to #8 Texas and #14 KState. The only other loss was to Missouri which finished at 38.

In 2005, NU didn't play anyone listed in the top 10 at seasons end. NU lost to Texas Tech which finished at 15th. NU lost to Missouri which ended the season at a stellar 49th. NU lost to Oklahoma which finished at 23rd. NU lost to Kansas which finished at a stellar 45th.

In 2006, NU played just ONE top 10 team at seasons end with USC ranked 5th at seasons end. NU lost to Texas which finished the season at 13th. NU lost to OU which finished the season at 15th. NU lost to Auburn which finished the season at 14th. NU lost to OSU which finished the season at a stellar 54th.

Which year exactly are you referring to that BC played 4 top 10 teams in a season? It's been said time and time again that the only ranking that matters is at seasons end. Look at Cal in 2006. They were a preseason top 10 coming in I believe somewhere around 5th at the beginning of the season. They dropped 3 games and barely finished the season in the top 20. I don't have a beef with losing to top 10 teams. I have a beef with losing to the 77th friggin ranked team in the country, or the 54th ranked team last year. How about in 2005 dropping games against 45th ranked Kansas and 49th ranked Missouri.

Nobody told Pud or BC that the offense had to be completely changed. This falls on them. They made the choice to try and make a 5'9 or so QB into a drop back passer. Do you really think a coach like Urban Meyer would have come in here and totally abandoned the offense in place? Florida just won a NC with a QB that was recruited to pass not run a spread option. In coaching, there has got to be some flexibility. IMO, some of the disasters could have been avoided in 2004 if there would have been some kind of flexibility by the coaching staff. I watched the LSU game last night against Miss State. It brought back nightmares of the Texas Tech game in 04. After the QB throws 4 or 5 picks and isn't even close to hitting his own receivers, show some restraint in having him continue to wing ducks down the field. I understood it when the score was 24 to 0. However when the game was 31 and 38 to zero and after 4 and 5 INT, stop winging the ducks please!

In each of BC's previous 3 years, we have lost at least one game to a team that finished the season ranked 49th or lower. BC's road record over 3 years has been well horrible. I was nearly crucified for calling Taylor a bandaid QB a year ago. Now, it seems everyone after he's gone wants to say how mediocre and average he was. Well of course he was average. Now, everyone is putting all their eggs in the Keller basket. Keller is nothing more than a bandaid QB as well. I hope he plays lights out this year, but if he doesn't he'll be crucified. He hasn't played in this system his entire college career. I think everyone is exepcting a bit much from him this year. He's playing on a new team with new teammates with a new coaching staff in a new atmosphere. I will be shocked if he doesn't struggle at times especially early in the year.

On the bright side though however is the fact that if BC doesn't pan out, I'm sure there will be some other guys willing to step in with Puds vision and wisdom. I'm sure in a couple of years Norv Turner, Wade Phillips, or Dennis Green will be available.

In 2004, NU played only 1 top 10 team Oklahoma. The only other team in the top 25 was Texas Tech coming in at 20th. We lost to Southern Miss who finished the season ranked at a stellar 43rd. We lost to KState who finished the season ranked at a stellar 77th. We lost to Iowa State that finished the season ranked at a stellar 49th. We lost to Colorado that finished at 38th.

In 2003, two of NU's losses came to #8 Texas and #14 KState. The only other loss was to Missouri which finished at 38.

In 2005, NU didn't play anyone listed in the top 10 at seasons end. NU lost to Texas Tech which finished at 15th. NU lost to Missouri which ended the season at a stellar 49th. NU lost to Oklahoma which finished at 23rd. NU lost to Kansas which finished at a stellar 45th.

In 2006, NU played just ONE top 10 team at seasons end with USC ranked 5th at seasons end. NU lost to Texas which finished the season at 13th. NU lost to OU which finished the season at 15th. NU lost to Auburn which finished the season at 14th. NU lost to OSU which finished the season at a stellar 54th.

Which year exactly are you referring to that BC played 4 top 10 teams in a season? It's been said time and time again that the only ranking that matters is at seasons end. Look at Cal in 2006. They were a preseason top 10 coming in I believe somewhere around 5th at the beginning of the season. They dropped 3 games and barely finished the season in the top 20. I don't have a beef with losing to top 10 teams. I have a beef with losing to the 77th friggin ranked team in the country, or the 54th ranked team last year. How about in 2005 dropping games against 45th ranked Kansas and 49th ranked Missouri.

Nobody told Pud or BC that the offense had to be completely changed. This falls on them. They made the choice to try and make a 5'9 or so QB into a drop back passer. Do you really think a coach like Urban Meyer would have come in here and totally abandoned the offense in place? Florida just won a NC with a QB that was recruited to pass not run a spread option. In coaching, there has got to be some flexibility. IMO, some of the disasters could have been avoided in 2004 if there would have been some kind of flexibility by the coaching staff. I watched the LSU game last night against Miss State. It brought back nightmares of the Texas Tech game in 04. After the QB throws 4 or 5 picks and isn't even close to hitting his own receivers, show some restraint in having him continue to wing ducks down the field. I understood it when the score was 24 to 0. However when the game was 31 and 38 to zero and after 4 and 5 INT, stop winging the ducks please!

In each of BC's previous 3 years, we have lost at least one game to a team that finished the season ranked 49th or lower. BC's road record over 3 years has been well horrible. I was nearly crucified for calling Taylor a bandaid QB a year ago. Now, it seems everyone after he's gone wants to say how mediocre and average he was. Well of course he was average. Now, everyone is putting all their eggs in the Keller basket. Keller is nothing more than a bandaid QB as well. I hope he plays lights out this year, but if he doesn't he'll be crucified. He hasn't played in this system his entire college career. I think everyone is exepcting a bit much from him this year. He's playing on a new team with new teammates with a new coaching staff in a new atmosphere. I will be shocked if he doesn't struggle at times especially early in the year.

On the bright side though however is the fact that if BC doesn't pan out, I'm sure there will be some other guys willing to step in with Puds vision and wisdom. I'm sure in a couple of years Norv Turner, Wade Phillips, or Dennis Green will be available.

Meh, I still think Taylor was a good QB. The greatest? No, The worst? No, but he came in and was what Callahan needed to get his offense rolling.

Nobody told Pud or BC that the offense had to be completely changed. This falls on them. They made the choice to try and make a 5'9 or so QB into a drop back passer.

Just so you have your facts straight Joe Dailey was 6'0 and was brought in by the previous staff to be more of a passing threat so we could change up the offense. <_<

I was nearly crucified for calling Taylor a bandaid QB a year ago. Now, it seems everyone after he's gone wants to say how mediocre and average he was. Well of course he was average. Now, everyone is putting all their eggs in the Keller basket. Keller is nothing more than a bandaid QB as well.

You are so quick to call Taylor and Keller "band-aids" which I assume you mean they were brought in to stop the "bleeding". So did you consider Solich's coaches that were brought in to replace the Ole' Boys "band-aids"? Because weren't they brought in to stop the "bleeding"? I asked this of some other dude on this board that always brings up Solich's boys. If they were such top level guys how come 2 of his Top 3 are out of work? One of the 2 is the guy that was "given" the keys to the offense as well, who by the way has played a part in getting his last 2 HC fired. Also if they were such Top Level guys how come 3-4 of them are now coaching at the Division 2 level. :madash Or the fact that 3 more wouldn't have jobs if it wasn't for Frankie getting another HC gig. <_< I'll give you that "Super" Bo was a Top Level DC but other then that they were pretty questionable.

On a side not if anyone says anything but good thing about Zac Taylor deserves this. :nanalama

Also for the record the Huskers ended the 2005 season rated #24 in both major polls. Just thought I would point that out.

Crap it is 2007 can we please move on and jump on board for this season?

Meh, I still think Taylor was a good QB. The greatest? No, The worst? No, but he came in and was what Callahan needed to get his offense rolling.

Bingo! ZT was tough as nails, mastered our offense, and was a great leader. If he had a more arm strength and mobility he'd be playing Sundays for sure. As it is, I hope someday to see him calling the shots from the sidelines.

//sorry for threadjack :)

While I agree we should now be at the point where we should begin to win ten games every season, we should at least acknowledge progress has been made. Callahan has put together some great recruiting classes for us, and last season we did sweep the North winning all our division games. Additionally we once again played in a New Year's bowl game. Sure we only won 9 games, but we very easily could have won 11. This is college ball, not the pros, sometimes the ball just bounces funny.

Our facilities have been upgraded. And the coaches are now recruiting players that are going to be highly successful in the offensive and defensive schemes our coaches want to employ. If Callahan is let go without giving him a fair shot at being successful, then who in their right minds would be willing to replace him? Besides, with the QB's we now have on the team, plus Gabbert coming in, we are going to have one of the most potent offenses in the nation.

But why are we even having this thread? Why should we have a "Fire Callahan" thread until he has at least had a fair chance to do his job?

Truly words of wisdom.

GO BIG RED!!

I think many of you are missing the point of my topic. I stated that we MUST win 10 games or we need to fire Bill Callahan. I don't believe he is the right coach based on the decisions he has made and lack of winning a big game. Do you realize we cannot beat a team that finishes in the top 20. That is over the course of 3 years. Yet, teams ranked below us manage to beat us when we are ranked higher than we should have been.

The point of the thread and the website is to remind Husker fans we need to hold any coach to the highest possible standard and we need to make sure BC knows that. For some reason everyone seems to be giving him a free pass on his decision making and lack of winning big games.

I do believe he should be our coach this year but I am making sure that if we don't consistently win 10 games a year then please fire Callahan.

His "let's not lose by too much" and terrible decision making is no longer acceptable.

Let's not forget all those who are in love with BC: He wasn't even a top 5 choice.....remember!

And while you guys slam Zac, he was a VERY decent college QB. He did make some poor decisions, and a better coach I feel would have put him in a better position to make plays. Does anyone remember that in 2004 the local papers wondered if Pederson hired a good recruiter but a poor coach. They said "good talent can make any coach look good but theorobreads needs great trainers to become champions" Isn't it interested how everyone keeps boasting about his recruiting and not his coaching? Looks like a preditction may come true.

OH AND WHY IS CALLAHAN GIVING UP SOME PLAY CALLING DUTIES THIS YEAR IF HE IS SUCH A GENIUS??

Nobody told Pud or BC that the offense had to be completely changed. This falls on them. They made the choice to try and make a 5'9 or so QB into a drop back passer.

Just so you have your facts straight Joe Dailey was 6'0 and was brought in by the previous staff to be more of a passing threat so we could change up the offense. <_<

I was nearly crucified for calling Taylor a bandaid QB a year ago. Now, it seems everyone after he's gone wants to say how mediocre and average he was. Well of course he was average. Now, everyone is putting all their eggs in the Keller basket. Keller is nothing more than a bandaid QB as well.

You are so quick to call Taylor and Keller "band-aids" which I assume you mean they were brought in to stop the "bleeding". So did you consider Solich's coaches that were brought in to replace the Ole' Boys "band-aids"? Because weren't they brought in to stop the "bleeding"? I asked this of some other dude on this board that always brings up Solich's boys. If they were such top level guys how come 2 of his Top 3 are out of work? One of the 2 is the guy that was "given" the keys to the offense as well, who by the way has played a part in getting his last 2 HC fired. Also if they were such Top Level guys how come 3-4 of them are now coaching at the Division 2 level. :madash Or the fact that 3 more wouldn't have jobs if it wasn't for Frankie getting another HC gig. <_< I'll give you that "Super" Bo was a Top Level DC but other then that they were pretty questionable.

On a side not if anyone says anything but good thing about Zac Taylor deserves this. :nanalama

Also for the record the Huskers ended the 2005 season rated #24 in both major polls. Just thought I would point that out.

Crap it is 2007 can we please move on and jump on board for this season?

If Joe Dailey is 6'0, then I'm at least a good 6'5. He's closer to 5'9 to 5'10. I've stood relatively close to him and he was quite a bit shorter than me and I have to stretch to reach 6'2.

Bandaids are used to stop the bleeding. How well do you suppose Tommie Frazier would have excelled in BC's WCO? We would have been searching for a bandaid there as well. Brook probably could have handled it, but Frazier; Crouch, and Frost would have struggled. All Nebraska greats in terms of QB's, but all would have struggled in a WCO setting.

Dailey was brought in to run a spread option. I believe this is where Solich was going with his "new" style offense. We were still going to be an option team, but we were going to add a little flare with the spread option passing more with wider sets.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/2005_ar...r_rankings.html Here's the link showing Nebraska at #30 in the computer poll using win/loss record and strength of schedule. Nebraska ended up in 2005 with the 48th toughest schedule.